RDM Gear!

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » RDM Gear!
RDM Gear!

| Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

I would like some opinions. I'm an Elvaan RDM, and I've heard a few things.

1. Focus on MP first, MND/INT/MACC Later.
2. Focus on MND/INT/MACC first, MP later.
3. Focus on pieces that have multiple stats I need.

Which is actually better?

What pieces would be good for MND Build and INT Build?

Should an Elvaan RDM focus on MP+ or MND/Healing Magic Skill/MP for PT's/Meripo?
 Ramuh.Jackel
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Jackel
By Ramuh.Jackel 2009-02-07 19:37:20
Link | Quote | Reply

For a merit PT, I personally focus on MP. If you have 8/8 Enf merits most Merit mobs won't resist much at all. MND/Healing skill in a merit style setup again won't help as much as an MP build. You are Elvaan so you will need the extra help.

This is just my view on it. You could try this site if you want a little help setting up gear for a certain situation.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-07 19:47:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree entirely with Jackel. In merit parties, a Red Mage's primary concern is keeping everyone hasted and cured without running out of MP before Convert's recast is back up. With around 1000 MP and constant Ballad and Refresh, I usually find this more than easy to achieve. I have a Dalmatica however which contributes 1 MP every tick through Auto-Refresh.

My maximum MP when using my full MP build is 1310, with 8/8 MP merits. This is entirely unnecessary pretty much all the time, and people who suggest you need that much are just showing off, I personally feel. It's cool to be able to get my MP that high, but it's pointless. I'm a Mithra, by the way, so I do have naturally higher MP than you.

In most merit parties, including very fast paced ones, my MP usually sits between 3-600, depending on the occasional Cure IV. I very rarely convert in merit parties. All of this is achieved with 900 MP, using items like a Lamia Mantle because I'm too cheap to pay for the best (I don't play RDM all that often).

Asides from merit parties, you want as much INT and Magic Accuracy as you can stack for Enfeeblings. MP is worthless if you can't land Enfeeblings with it.

As for your question, there isn't anything "better" so to speak, but some become more preferred in specific circumstances. When casting Stoneskin, for example, you want as much Enhancing Magic + and then MND as you can get.

Your race is also not that important. I know Elvaan naturally have poor MP, but at 75, gear and merits more than makes up for racial differences on MP. 8/8 MP merits is a god-send if you haven't already gotten 8/8 HP and have the time. I really noticed a raise in performance and overall MP balance when I got my MP merits.

But as I said before, there's nothing "better", but your preference should change depending on the situation.
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2009-02-07 20:16:15
Link | Quote | Reply

As an Elf RDM, I can share my approach...

In Meripo - Focus on MP > MND > Enhancing Magic/ Healing Magic skill. You're just there to spam cures and buffs like Haste and Refresh.

Head: Walahra Turban/ Goliard Chapaeu/ AF Hat
Neck: Morgana's Choker (if you have this wear it FT if not just swap the two torques in and out as needed)/ Enhancing Torque/ Healing Torque
Body: Goliard Saio/ Errant/ AF Body
Hands: Wood Gaunts/ Gloves
Rings: Omega or Ether & Serket
Earrings: Loquacious/ Magnetic/ Anitvenom/ Insomnia
Legs: Mahatma/Errant/ Jet/ AF Legs
Feet: Goliard Clogs or Wood Ledelsens
Ammo: Hedgehog Bomb or Phantom Tathlum
Back: Invigorating Cape/ Prism/ Rainbow
Waist: Penitents or Forest Rope
Food: Cherry/ Coffee Muffins for +10% MP

In Pt/Alliance For Event - Assuming there's a WHM or SCH in pt for healing you'll be free to focus on using a build that maximizes your Enfeebling ability. To that end focus on gears that raise your Enfeebling Magic Skill > Magic ACC> MND/ INT.

Just keep in mind what attribute goes with what spell, MND goes with Slow and Para... INT goes with Poison, the elemental enfeebling spells (Burn, Choke, etc...) and Bio. Additions to above list are below...

Head: Duelist's Chapeau
Waist: Witch Sash
Neck: Enfeebling/ Spider Torque
Hands: Goliard Cuffs
Back: Altruist Cape
Legs: Nashira Seraweels
Feet: Avocat Pigaches

NOTE: I'm +3HP/ +5MP Merits, 5/5 INT merits and 0/8 Enfeebling Magic Skill Merits (I know I have to raise this up...)
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-07 21:02:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Jlaine said:
You doing aggressively high lvl nm's the norm is dump INT/MND for slots you can add the appropriate magic skill in

Can should be can't, just so you know. Not to be rude, but it's conflicting meaning else :)

Very good post though, and sound advice! Definitely spoken from an experienced RDM.

Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

I put RDM stuff on hold for a bit, to finish off COR, but here's what I have so far.

1/8 MP
1/8 Enhancing
8/8 Enfeebling (With merits, AF body and Torque I have 314 Enfeebling Magic)

http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=52611 MP Set (Working on getting Seraweels to replace Errant Slops)

http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=52612 I have Duelist's Tights for nukes (+10 Elemental Skill). I have Warlock's Tabard & Errant Houppelande for this set, but I use Warlock's for Enfeebs.

http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=58860 MND Set.

Working on Snow Rings, Aqua Rings, Jet Seraweels, Witch Sash, Forest Rope, Goliard, and other torques at the moment. I have like 13,000 Ichor for Einherjar but haven't been able to do Einherjar for some time.
 Bahamut.Bojack
Server: Bahamut
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2009-02-08 17:52:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Jackel said:
This is just my view on it. You could try this site if you want a little help setting up gear for a certain situation.

Don't mean to change the subject, but I tried that site lol. Picked Dragoon and Well-rounded. Gungnir, Ares' Body, Ninurta's Sash, Cerb Mantle +1...lol. I'll get started on those right away >,>
 Ramuh.Jackel
user: Jackel
By Ramuh.Jackel 2009-02-08 19:01:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Would you rather it gave you crap gear when picking well rounded? The only way you won't get the best of the best is if you choose to focus on a stat OR if you change the gear yourself.

You can choose to exclude the EX gear if you'd like, or you could simply pick Ares Body ect.. and swap it out with the equip changing options.
 Ramuh.Bekisa
By Ramuh.Bekisa 2009-02-08 19:20:08
Link | Quote | Reply

one thing to remember on RDM is don't use too much +enfeebling skill gear for enfeebs. You only need enough to make them land most the time, not 100% of the time. It's better to have a great +MND set and have to cast para2/slow2 1-3 times before they stick than it is to have them stick almost every time but never proc. Slow 2 slow amount is based on your MND vs. the mobs MND. Same as Para2.

I love using Para2 on some weak HNM like Fafnir and it para's 10-15 attacks in a row :P Thats one great use for RDM/BLM also. Stack up MND and just use ES Slow II on something like Khimaira or Cerb. Rotate 2-3 rdm/blms and you'll have near max slow2 on constantly. Much better than some gimped slow2 because the rdm used +skill over +mnd.

Bekisa said:
one thing to remember on RDM is don't use too much +enfeebling skill gear for enfeebs. You only need enough to make them land most the time, not 100% of the time. It's better to have a great +MND set and have to cast para2/slow2 1-3 times before they stick than it is to have them stick almost every time but never proc. Slow 2 slow amount is based on your MND vs. the mobs MND. Same as Para2.

I love using Para2 on some weak HNM like Fafnir and it para's 10-15 attacks in a row :P Thats one great use for RDM/BLM also. Stack up MND and just use ES Slow II on something like Khimaira or Cerb. Rotate 2-3 rdm/blms and you'll have near max slow2 on constantly. Much better than some gimped slow2 because the rdm used +skill over +mnd.

Yeah I definitely get what you mean. I was playing around with MP+ vs. MND+ on Paralyze II a while back when fighting Roc, and noticed the difference in the proc rate increase dramatically. That drove me to start looking into MND/INT sets and so on.

I figure 314 Enfeebling Magic will work on most things...if something resists, most likely its immune to what I'm casting. >_>
 Cerberus.Cecilharvey
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Cecilharvey 2009-02-08 20:36:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I think there is somes corrections needed to what Malekith say... because i don't see the point of using a penitent rope when you are main healer, maybe if you are assisting a WHM at Mamool ja training ground & so can land somes enfeebl (so then better get on your enfeeb set maybe ?), otherwise you get better use of a hierarch belt which give you +48MP & somes hMP, you are giving him/her bad advices because a RDM need many different gears setup for the different situations & it need to be usefull gears. what you write there is a bit of everything mixed. Also, if you are looking for somes merit i'd recommand you to full merit the recast of Convert, you will notice how its usefull & helpfull.

My merits PT (MP Build) "i'm Hume" (assuming its colibri)

Neck: "Morgana shocker" (Healing/enhancing torque /huh? who care the +7 healing/Enhancing skill ? better be able to land 1 more Cure III or Haste/refresh) we're also talking about RDM, the job with the highest Enhancing Skill in game.

Hand: "Aquarian Abjuration hands" (not counting the MAB+5) it does offer "Convert 50HP to MP" which is a good MP build gears

Legs: "Aquarian Abjuration Legs" "Will give you a little bonus of MND & CHR, but the prio is also the convert 50HP to MP since we're looking at the MP build setup more"

Head: Warlock's Chapeau! (MP+20 Elementalskill+10 INT+3 "enhance fast cast effect>> Spellcasting speed +10% & spell recast speed +5%") Turban RDMs are to burn... maybe they can use the +30HP on a convert macro, but the 5% haste is probably exactly the same as -5% recast delay offered by the AF hat, now that just a choice +10MP & 5% hate or fast cast +10% & 5% speed on recast. Relic Hat give +14 MP & a refresh effect but is quit hard to get, since there is alway a lot of RDMs on the Dyna Lists for it.

Rings: Serket "Convert 50HP to MP" Ether "Convert 30 HP to MP", if it is possible for you to get the Vivian's Rings which is exactly the same as serket for the convert effect go for it, it will offer you also somes INT CHR & MND bonus, but the drop rate is very ugly. otherwise if you are done with CoP well the +30MP of Tamas ring can easily replace the Ether ring, i took Rajas personaly so.

Earrings: Astral & "if you can" Locquacious (+30MP & enchance fast cast effect >> +2% spell casting & 1% Spell recast)

Body: The best & more easy option i see is the Goliard Body, it does offer somes good bonus of HP/MP, a little haste +4% & somes Conserve MP, Wooooodum is right using Aquarian Body aka Damaltica but its not as easy to get, even if now you see more & more Damalticas around, its still reserved only to HNMs/Einerjhar LS.

Feets: If you still want more MP there is the Abjuration Aquarian Feets (convert 50HP to MP), but again its hard to get.

Belt: Idk what the RSE Belt give at 70 for the Elvaans, -4DEX +4INT & MP+60 /think, i personaly use the Hierarch belt, its cheap & give MP+48 & hMP+.

Back: Lamia Mantle is a good option, i know there is some +30MP mantle, but i remember seen one of them around 1M so, stick to Lamia xD.

now for the enfeebling part, well you better look to make gears setup for the differents spells, INT for Black enfeebling spells (Gravity/Blind/Bind etc) & MND for the whites (Slow/Para/Silence etc) but there is somes gears that are very helpfull such as Omega ring/Goliard Feets with the Magic accuracy on it,

Malekith talked about Saroual, me i'd recommand "Mahatma Slops" about the same price maybe a little bit more but wonder what the best +15MP or a +1 bonus of INT/MND to land a spell since you are elvaan (Low INT high MND). Skills are for the spell accu, the best is to macro the AF Body in to cast, the Relic Hat help a lot also but as i said its very hard to get.

but oh well, i'll stop the wall of text there, i'll let other say what they think too, have fun in game. ^^

Edit: I looked at Bekisa Enfeeb MND setup, it is a good setup to take example on, using Morrigan Head is a good option when you don't have Relic Hat, Morrigan cuff also good, for the Which Slash, very good if you have the money to afford it or the requierment to get it, otherwise stick to Penitent or Relic RDM Belt "which is as hard to get" .

Cecilharvey said:
Back: Lamia Mantle is a good option, i know there is some +30MP mantle, but i remember seen one of them around 1M so, stick to Lamia xD.

I'm gonna guess you mean Errant Cape. lol

What I use for MP right now is HP+30 MP+30 - Intensifying Cape, and it cost like 180-200k when I got it.
 Caitsith.Fivefingers
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Fivefingers 2009-02-09 00:37:19
Link | Quote | Reply

altruistic cape is all you need.
 Cerberus.Cecilharvey
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Cecilharvey 2009-02-09 01:05:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Fivefingers said:
altruistic cape is all you need.

Sure, its so easy to get! every RDM have it! if you didn't noticed..
 Ramuh.Bekisa
By Ramuh.Bekisa 2009-02-09 01:38:29
Link | Quote | Reply

if you are looking for a merit rdm setup, I'd go with a nice conserve MP, haste, fast cast and +mp build. The cobra unit set through Windurst campaign is nice for merit parties -- minus the hat. I use hands, legs, feet full time for casting buffs in merit. If you can get your hands on a Seveneye's as well, thats nice for buffs too.

RDM have horrible hMP rate / clear mind, even with the best gear, they come no where near a good whm or smn in terms of recovering mp quickly. You are better off making what mp you do have, survive as long as it can.
 Bahamut.Kelia
Server: Bahamut
user: Kelia
By Bahamut.Kelia 2009-02-10 15:26:40
Link | Quote | Reply

dont use jet seraweels
 Sylph.Decimus
Server: Sylph
user: Octavius
By Sylph.Decimus 2009-02-10 15:52:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bojack said:
Jackel said:
Don't mean to change the subject, but I tried that site lol. Picked Dragoon and Well-rounded. Gungnir, Ares' Body, Ninurta's Sash, Cerb Mantle +1...lol. I'll get started on those right away >,>

Even better, as a thf I should be dual wielding Mandau and Batardeau. I understand the site tells you the greatest setup but it is kind of funny.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [77 days between previous and next post]
 Carbuncle.Levion
Server: Carbuncle
user: Levion
By Carbuncle.Levion 2009-04-28 22:27:41
Link | Quote | Reply

v.v
 Midgardsormr.Trauma
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Trauma
By Midgardsormr.Trauma 2009-04-28 22:29:50
Link | Quote | Reply

whats with all these necro bumps? D: are you all living in the past?!

please take a hike.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [184 days between previous and next post]
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-10-30 09:34:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Habs I suggest you stop spamming threads please.