Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » Gear Set Up
Gear Set Up
 Ramuh.Mizuharu
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Mizuharu
By Ramuh.Mizuharu 2010-10-12 15:08:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, so recently I was a huge *** dickwading troll about someone's gear set up for DRG (deleted the screenshot I posted for it) and then read this topic. So I can see how full Perle is beneficent for DRG, but idk about my gear set up... It's been
working for me. So figured I'd ask about it.
(This is all going to be as /sam because that's what I normally do, but not counting Hasso into the acc. Polearm merits 8/8 STR 5/5 and Crit hit rate 4/4. The monster's level on FFXI Calculator is 90 with 375 EVA (increased level by three and added 6 eva for each level.))

TP

Polearm skill: 353, STR:89+14, DEX:71+18, Haste: 18% (17.68% according to FFXI calculator.), Acc: 70 (35 from traits + 35 from gear; 474.4 acc (95%) total on FFXICalc.) STP: 18.3 (6hit)

WS

Polearm skill: 346, STR89+61, DEX:71+24. Acc (Been told gorgets are roughly +10 acc, so just used that number.):+66 (35(traits)+39 = 74; 74-8 = 66 ) Total Acc:468.6 (95%)

Though now that I've done the comparisons, Perle would be better...

Polearm:353, STR81+31 DEX71+27 Acc+33 (35+33=68 acc; 479.2 total.)

So yeah, atm, full Perle looks better than I thought... So I apologize for my bashing on that. Though I think I'd return to my old set up once I get AF3+1 boots done (4/8 seals; kill me now q_q). Any other advice I'd appreciate though.

Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-10-12 15:29:37
Link | Quote | Reply

5/5 Perle is currently the best setup for DRG unless you are rocking AF3+1/2 Head or Feet with Homam Hands/Pants/Feet
[+]
 Phoenix.Fredjan
Server: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-10-12 15:38:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Blitz ring for TPing.
Also... Furtherance abyssites! an extra 20 DEX is good for ACC.
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-10-12 16:07:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Get Blitz for Tp and go for Onvi..drop rate can suck but +3% haste for free is amazing.

(if you leave the Homam at home and go with 5/5 Perle/Blitz and Bullwhip you will have 23% haste..and cap is very reachable with Af3+1)

I am glad you have seen the light..sad that you deleted that picture because some of the comments were funny.

Onvi very lowmannable..and well worth it.
 Bahamut.Overlordkain
By Bahamut.Overlordkain 2010-10-12 16:17:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a question semi related to this, and instead of starting a new I figure I can ninja it into this one, currently my tp setup is:

I am currently having the worst luck with feet seals, managed to finish my Cor and then some, 10+ Blm and 9 Nin all while still being 5/8 on Drg.
Anyway, my question is, would going from what I use now to this be the right course of action or is the 1% haste gain not worth the Att and to a lesser extent Str loss from Perle, I am far off getting the +1 head, and right now +2 anything is out of the question.

I could use NQ dusk gloves in the hands slot since I lose att where I and have enough Acc, I would just like some opinions as I am stumped as to which would be better.

Sorry if the images and such dont show up, I usually don't have to outsource for information/help on my Drg so I am not used to posting ><

Edit: some spelling/grammar
 Bahamut.Zorander
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-10-12 16:55:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Overlordkain said:
I have a question semi related to this, and instead of starting a new I figure I can ninja it into this one, currently my tp setup is: I am currently having the worst luck with feet seals, managed to finish my Cor and then some, 10+ Blm and 9 Nin all while still being 5/8 on Drg. Anyway, my question is, would going from what I use now to this be the right course of action or is the 1% haste gain not worth the Att and to a lesser extent Str loss from Perle, I am far off getting the +1 head, and right now +2 anything is out of the question. I could use NQ dusk gloves in the hands slot since I lose att where I and have enough Acc, I would just like some opinions as I am stumped as to which would be better. Sorry if the images and such dont show up, I usually don't have to outsource for information/help on my Drg so I am not used to posting >< Edit: some spelling/grammar
Dont worry about att/str/dex/acc as much during TP phase..the 1% haste should more than make up for it. You technically could use NQ dusk for 5 more attk but its not like thats gunna make a big difference. Enjoy being at 24% Haste on drg..and at the same time getting rid of full Perle.
 Bahamut.Overlordkain
By Bahamut.Overlordkain 2010-10-12 16:58:39
Link | Quote | Reply

The loss of full perle is a massive thing for me, the ***is ugly, and I look like every other guy out there D: and although i would never base a gear choice purely on look, it is definitely a factor for me, i miss my cool manshorts.
 Fenrir.Thandar
user: Thandar
By Fenrir.Thandar 2010-10-12 17:16:28
Link | Quote | Reply

WS in Foragers, Cerb +1 is silly.
 Bahamut.Aiyana
user: Aiyanna
By Bahamut.Aiyana 2010-10-12 17:21:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Thandar said:
WS in Foragers, Cerb +1 is silly.

Nothing wrong with Cerb +1. However, the OP is using NQ Cerb so this post does have some merit. Go for Forager's.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-10-12 17:22:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Overlordkain said:
I have a question semi related to this, and instead of starting a new I figure I can ninja it into this one, currently my tp setup is:

I am currently having the worst luck with feet seals, managed to finish my Cor and then some, 10+ Blm and 9 Nin all while still being 5/8 on Drg.
Anyway, my question is, would going from what I use now to this be the right course of action or is the 1% haste gain not worth the Att and to a lesser extent Str loss from Perle, I am far off getting the +1 head, and right now +2 anything is out of the question.

I could use NQ dusk gloves in the hands slot since I lose att where I and have enough Acc, I would just like some opinions as I am stumped as to which would be better.

Sorry if the images and such dont show up, I usually don't have to outsource for information/help on my Drg so I am not used to posting ><

Edit: some spelling/grammar

With AF3+2 head and the AF3 feet giving a +2% haste advantage, it would definitely be the way to go for TP. (and if you have Dusk+1 hands or timarli hands, it's even better...obviously.)

However, between those 2 sets...the bottom one should still win under high haste situations, otherwise those 2 sets would be rather close.
 Bahamut.Aiyana
By Bahamut.Aiyana 2010-10-12 17:25:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Mizuharu said:
Okay, so recently I was a huge *** dickwading troll about someone's gear set up for DRG (deleted the screenshot I posted for it) and then read this topic. So I can see how full Perle is beneficent for DRG, but idk about my gear set up... It's been
working for me. So figured I'd ask about it.
(This is all going to be as /sam because that's what I normally do, but not counting Hasso into the acc. Polearm merits 8/8 STR 5/5 and Crit hit rate 4/4. The monster's level on FFXI Calculator is 90 with 375 EVA (increased level by three and added 6 eva for each level.))

TP

Polearm skill: 353, STR:89+14, DEX:71+18, Haste: 18% (17.68% according to FFXI calculator.), Acc: 70 (35 from traits + 35 from gear; 474.4 acc (95%) total on FFXICalc.) STP: 18.3 (6hit)

WS

Polearm skill: 346, STR89+61, DEX:71+24. Acc (Been told gorgets are roughly +10 acc, so just used that number.):+66 (35(traits)+39 = 74; 74-8 = 66 ) Total Acc:468.6 (95%)

Though now that I've done the comparisons, Perle would be better...

Polearm:353, STR81+31 DEX71+27 Acc+33 (35+33=68 acc; 479.2 total.)

So yeah, atm, full Perle looks better than I thought... So I apologize for my bashing on that. Though I think I'd return to my old set up once I get AF3+1 boots done (4/8 seals; kill me now q_q). Any other advice I'd appreciate though.

I just noticed that you are using a different grip to WS in than you are for TP. Can't let you do that Star Fox.

Maybe a mistake with the gearsets? Either way, that doesn't work in game. :3

EDIT: Also, you might want to ask around about the WS Gorget vs Love Torque. Especially for WS like Drakesbane. I'm not exactly sure on this, but I think Torque is going to win handily. WS gorgets these days are better for single-hits if you have access to the appropriate Torque.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-10-12 17:33:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Torque is only adding Attack and Dex, Gorget is adding Direct damage to your WS.

Gorget >>> Torque hands down.
 Quetzalcoatl.Natlow
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Natlow
By Quetzalcoatl.Natlow 2010-10-12 18:07:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

TP

WS

Tp in full perle (as long as you can 6-hit it using a rose strap) and then for WS lose the heafoc mitts (the negative acc and DEX will not help for drakes), replace them with Hecatomb or AF+1. Swap the belt for Warwolfs (the DEX will help with drakes, and you shouldn't need to recover the acc with the belt if you lose heafoc) then swap cerberus mantle for foragers.

Sorry for any typos etc, I'm a bit drunk at the moment.
 Bahamut.Aiyana
By Bahamut.Aiyana 2010-10-12 19:10:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Torque is only adding Attack and Dex, Gorget is adding Direct damage to your WS.)

Gorget >>> Torque hands down.

Not true. Gorget adds 0.1ftp to the FIRST hit only of a WS. (Which if memory serves is roughly a 10% damage increase to the first hit.

This is HUGE for say, Samurai who only tend to use single-hit WS.

However, you may get more mileage out of increasing the stats on all of your hits in a multi-hit WS than just a 10% boost to the first hit alone. It requires maths that I'm not familiar with. (I read about it in Gorget VS Torque for Evisceration, a multi-hit crit WS in which Torque was superior.)
 Ramuh.Mizuharu
Server: Ramuh
user: Mizuharu
By Ramuh.Mizuharu 2010-10-12 19:24:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aiyana said:

Not true. Gorget adds 0.1ftp to the FIRST hit only of a WS. (Which if memory serves is roughly a 10% damage increase to the first hit.

This is HUGE for say, Samurai who only tend to use single-hit WS.

However, you may get more mileage out of increasing the stats on all of your hits in a multi-hit WS than just a 10% boost to the first hit alone. It requires maths that I'm not familiar with. (I read about it in Gorget VS Torque for Evisceration, a multi-hit crit WS in which Torque was superior.

Idk I've played around with both and I get better results with Flame.
Quetzalcoatl.Natlow said:

Tp in full perle (as long as you can 6-hit it using a rose strap) and then for WS lose the heafoc mitts (the negative acc and DEX will not help for drakes), replace them with Hecatomb or AF+1. Swap the belt for Warwolfs (the DEX will help with drakes, and you shouldn't need to recover the acc with the belt if you lose heafoc) then swap cerberus mantle for foragers.

Like I said, I've had high, consistant damage with my current WS set up for Drakesbane. I know it's a WS that can crit, but the main mod is 50% STR. I really don't have an issues with acc; always a full TP return. I might not crit -as much- since it's mainly a STR build, but abyssea DEX+ buffs really take cares of that.
 Phoenix.Fredjan
Server: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-10-12 19:36:04
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're not using Gorget, you might as well use beads. WSC doesn't cap but attack does
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-10-12 19:38:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Gorget with 5% DA worn during WS is a ~2.38% increase in damage on average.

Torque has 7Attack which is ~1.5% damage assuming not hugely buffed - in this case it can become half of that. It then depends on 5dex...

Basically, if 5dex is enough to increase your critical hit rate significantly (last 5 points of dDEX as an extreme example), it should be superior. Else Gorget.

Abyssea considerations: Atmas make Attack/DEX gains largely obsolete, whereas Gorget's damage increase remains static.

I hate Gorget vs LT questions because they are so situational, but that's how it is.
 Bahamut.Aiyana
By Bahamut.Aiyana 2010-10-12 20:03:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Fredjan said:
If you're not using Gorget, you might as well use beads. WSC doesn't cap but attack does

This.
 Ragnarok.Amador
Server: Ragnarok
user: Amador
By Ragnarok.Amador 2010-10-18 11:20:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I see all of these set ups involve using Lancer's Back piece.

Wouldn't the overall increase from Foragers/Cerb/Cerb+1 be better than 1% haste in a capped accuracy scenario?

Just a thought~
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-18 13:45:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Amador said:
I see all of these set ups involve using Lancer's Back piece.

Wouldn't the overall increase from Foragers/Cerb/Cerb+1 be better than 1% haste in a capped accuracy scenario?

Just a thought~
Depends on your buffs. In high haste and/or pDIF capped situations, Lancer's Pelerine will be superior.