users online
Forum » FFXIV » Classes » Thaumaturge » Leveling 15+
Leveling 15+
 Ragnarok.Avant
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Avant 2010-09-29 04:09:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm having a tough time finding stuff that gives decent skill gain after 15, I'm quite fine grinding stuff for crystals etc but I was curious what you would kill to get good skill gain (currently it's rare for me to see 100+ even on green or yellow con mobs.)
 Shiva.Darkshade
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-09-29 04:56:34
Link | Quote | Reply

What class? In Ul'Dah at rank 16 level 18 I'm getting about 300-500 XP a Dodo and about 150-250 skill points a mob. Outside of guildleves I think this is where we're supposed to start grinding in partys maybe for faster EXP because in the mines the other day with a PUG LNC and CON we were getting about 300-400 XP/200-400 rank points a kill at a pretty quick kill rate.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Server: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-09-29 05:18:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Darkshade said:
What class? In Ul'Dah at rank 16 level 18 I'm getting about 300-500 XP a Dodo and about 150-250 skill points a mob. Outside of guildleves I think this is where we're supposed to start grinding in partys maybe for faster EXP because in the mines the other day with a PUG LNC and CON we were getting about 300-400 XP/200-400 rank points a kill at a pretty quick kill rate.

Thaumaturge
 Shiva.Ninaa
By Shiva.Ninaa 2010-09-29 11:54:57
Link | Quote | Reply

You seem to have a chance to get skill points after each action, and after you kill the mob it adds them all up and awards them to you. So the more actions it takes to kill something, the higher your total at the end of a fight.
There seems to be a cap though, so you cannot drag it out forever.

This is how I have been leveling SEN. I can just hold guard forever and it keeps skilling me up, until I hit some cap. You might notice it giving 57, 48, 52, etc. and then all of a sudden it will give you like 2. I have taken that to mean that I am capped, and I will usually kill it at that point.

So in regards to your question: maybe you are killing too fast with nukes?

Edit: it is also interesting to note that I get skillups on GLD for parrying with my sword too.
 Leviathan.Yokhai
Server: Leviathan
user: Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-29 12:01:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Ninaa said:
You seem to have a chance to get skill points after each action, and after you kill the mob it adds them all up and awards them to you. So the more actions it takes to kill something, the higher your total at the end of a fight.
There seems to be a cap though, so you cannot drag it out forever.

This is how I have been leveling SEN. I can just hold guard forever and it keeps skilling me up, until I hit some cap. You might notice it giving 57, 48, 52, etc. and then all of a sudden it will give you like 2. I have taken that to mean that I am capped, and I will usually kill it at that point.

So in regards to your question: maybe you are killing too fast with nukes?

Edit: it is also interesting to note that I get skillups on GLD for parrying with my sword too.

SEN?
 Shiva.Ninaa
By Shiva.Ninaa 2010-09-29 12:15:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Yokhai said:

SEN?

Shield Skill = Sentinel
 Leviathan.Yokhai
Server: Leviathan
user: Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-29 12:20:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Ninaa said:
Leviathan.Yokhai said:

SEN?

Shield Skill = Sentinel

A word up. I need to pound out some levels on my MRD. Right now i wanna get conj and pug up to use their healing skills to make soloing better.
By delmontyb 2010-09-29 12:52:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I want to level Conj up to at least 16 before I take on any of the DOW classes for cure and protect. :)
By Msmith 2010-09-29 13:29:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for info guys :)
 Ragnarok.Avant
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Avant 2010-09-29 16:17:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm still confused through as DoW get a lot more skill points beating the monsters with their weapon. I beat with my wand, cast slow and heal myself and my skill gain is significantly worse.

I would have assumed, because I do less damage I'd get more or equal skill.

Also skill gain is going to remain the same all the way to the cap? if I'm stuck at 100 per kill all the way to the cap (with increased skill points required until level) it's going to be a damn long trip >.> Not that I won't do it, just expected it to ramp up a little bit as you level.
 Shiva.Ninaa
By Shiva.Ninaa 2010-09-29 16:26:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I am not sure about Magic classes, but it seems to me that you should be getting more than 100 per kill. It's always a little random, but I seem to get 150-200 per kill on easy prey mobs, and up to 300-350 on tougher ones, but it fluctuates greatly. On some mobs I get 0-50 pts.

I will be trying to level CON and THA later tonight, I can post my results.
 Asura.Kowen
Server: Asura
user: Kowen
By Asura.Kowen 2010-09-29 16:51:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Ninaa said:
I am not sure about Magic classes, but it seems to me that you should be getting more than 100 per kill. It's always a little random, but I seem to get 150-200 per kill on easy prey mobs, and up to 300-350 on tougher ones, but it fluctuates greatly. On some mobs I get 0-50 pts.

I will be trying to level CON and THA later tonight, I can post my results.

It's pretty bad, at 13 CON I only get 50~100(if I'm lucky) rank points from soloing a dodo.

By far the best way to get skill ups for the disciples of magic was to party up and focus on healing. After people figured out ways to unfairly exploit it, though, the devs screwed over EVERYONE by severely lowering how many points cure spells give...
 Kujata.Akeda
Server: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-09-29 17:22:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I think they were trying to design the point system so that those who contribute more to the party get more XP then the ones who are just leeching.

Of course it only takes a few people to ruin it for everyone.