enfeebling body
 Fenrir.Azazael
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: azazael
By Fenrir.Azazael 2010-09-28 09:08:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking for a little backup here.

Last night I got an Augur's body. I was planning on using it for Para2 and Slow2 on mobs that I didn't need to max my skill for. For things that don't have a proc (silence, gravity, etc) I would still use max skill (AF1+1).

Would I still be correct in assuming that on some of the highest tier mobs I would better off with my AF1+1 body?
[+]
 Shiva.Khimaira
Server: Shiva
user: Sindri
By Shiva.Khimaira 2010-09-28 09:09:20
Link | Quote | Reply

INT/MND is effect, Enfeeb Skill is Magic Accuracy. Always go for MACC on your Binds/Gravs I think, PARA/SLOW if you can land it go for effect, if not go for a bit of both. Might be a bit easier to say if you posted your set

Edit: Not that youd ever be binding/graving anything all that important >.>
 Bahamut.Aiyana
Server: Bahamut
user: Aiyanna
By Bahamut.Aiyana 2010-09-28 09:23:26
Link | Quote | Reply

A handful of Abyssean NMs, (even higher tier ones) ARE weak to the effects of Gravity/Bind. Most people just assume otherwise and don't even try to land them.

As a RDM, landing Slow/Para on anything that matters, (Cerberus does not matter. I mean come on..), is painfully easy. Full-MND builds are the way to go on nearly every target. That includes NOT using elemental staves!

Full INT-based Skill builds: Gravity, Bind, Poison, Blind, Sleep(lol).
Full MND potency builds: Slow, Paralyze.
Full MND-based Skill builds: Silence, (Addle?).

I don't have accurate information on Addle yet. Personally using it with my Silence gear.

To answer the OP. No. Higher tier mobs it is still a better idea to go with full potency. Notable exceptions being ToAU/WotG Kings. (Seriously, why..?)
[+]
 Phoenix.Lithical
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Lithical 2010-09-28 09:30:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Even if uncapped INT/MND vs mob (if not capped, each stat gives 1 magic accuracy each, see link at end of post) Augur would still not compare to AF body in terms of accuracy. That aside given that on high tier mobs you likely would have a BRD present for elegy, your potency only needs to be enough that your Slow2 will be 25% since with Saboteur it would be 50% and the mob would be slow capped. So for high tier monsters I definitely would go for the AF body to make sure it lands, going overboard on potency in a situation where it adds nothing more would be pointless. So yes, in my opinion (and if I am not mistaken), you are correct.

Magic Accuracy
 Fenrir.Azazael
By Fenrir.Azazael 2010-09-28 09:33:22
Link | Quote | Reply

My normal Para/Slow set would be this (with HQ staff of spell, haven't gotten a good club/shield combo).
http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/180403

Obvious upgrade would be ear, I just haven't gotten around to getting a mnd earring yet.

The question comes down to Para/slow being cast in Augur's on mobs that aren't higher tiers. On the stuff that needs the skill I swap out for Nash Legs, AF1+1 body, and Avocat feet.
[+]
 Bahamut.Aiyana
By Bahamut.Aiyana 2010-09-28 09:38:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Lithical said:
That aside given that on high tier mobs you likely would have a BRD present for elegy, your potency only needs to be enough that your Slow2 will be 25% since with Saboteur it would be 50% and the mob would be slow capped. So for high tier monsters I definitely would go for the AF body to make sure it lands, going overboard on potency in a situation where it adds nothing more would be pointless.

I hadn't thought of this, so good point. I tend to never have a BRD present, so I have to pump everything I can out of my Slow2.
As for the reason I never have a BRD present.. I tend to solo/duo pretty much anything and everything in Abyssea.

Also, Saboteur cannot keep a full-time Slow2 active without two RDMs to rotate it. If you really wanted to solo RDM with a BRD present (Or not present), casting Slow1 with full potency will help to bridge the gap between Saboteur recast.
[+]
 Cerberus.Mindi
Server: Cerberus
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2010-09-28 09:42:04
Link | Quote | Reply

there is hardly any mob that needs skill. Even more with 85(+). You could already land Slow/Paralyze in full MND gear(incl Club/Shield) on stuff like Omega/Ultima at 75.. Can allways put MND in all slots. So for sure use Augur Body on any mob. IF you get resist, can still cast again in higher skill gear and swap in a staff and other skill/macc gear. (well not the shoes, should stick to Morrigan...)
 Bahamut.Aiyana
By Bahamut.Aiyana 2010-09-28 09:42:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Azazael said:
My normal Para/Slow set would be this (with HQ staff of spell, haven't gotten a good club/shield combo).
http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/180403

Obvious upgrade would be ear, I just haven't gotten around to getting a mnd earring yet.

The question comes down to Para/slow being cast in Augur's on mobs that aren't higher tiers. On the stuff that needs the skill I swap out for Nash Legs, AF1+1 body, and Avocat feet.

I see you have Morrigan's feet. Do not, and I repeat DO NOT. Use Avocat Pigaches for MND based enfeebles. Ever.
Morrigan feet will always provide at least 5m.acc, up to 10m.acc. Avocat will only provide 3, and are thusly inferior in every situation a MND enfeeble is concerned.
Nashira seraweels are similarly outdated for RDM. Sagacity Lappas are a great upgrade for MND enfeebles, and AF3+1 pants (Not hard to obtain) replace them for INT enfeebles.
[+]
 Phoenix.Lithical
By Phoenix.Lithical 2010-09-28 09:48:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aiyana said:
Phoenix.Lithical said:
That aside given that on high tier mobs you likely would have a BRD present for elegy, your potency only needs to be enough that your Slow2 will be 25% since with Saboteur it would be 50% and the mob would be slow capped. So for high tier monsters I definitely would go for the AF body to make sure it lands, going overboard on potency in a situation where it adds nothing more would be pointless.

I hadn't thought of this, so good point. I tend to never have a BRD present, so I have to pump everything I can out of my Slow2.
As for the reason I never have a BRD present.. I tend to solo/duo pretty much anything and everything in Abyssea.

Also, Saboteur cannot keep a full-time Slow2 active without two RDMs to rotate it. If you really wanted to solo RDM with a BRD present (Or not present), casting Slow1 with full potency will help to bridge the gap between Saboteur recast.

Yeah, I was assuming there would be two RDM in a higher-tier mob situation to rotate. But as you said if no elegy it's certainly worth trying to get all the potency you can get out of Slow2. I often find myself soloing/duoing in Abyssea with me either RDM/SCH or RDM/NIN with my friend MNK/NIN or RDM/NIN too so I can certainly appreciate a strong potency set. In large group situations I tend to gear more towards accuracy to be safe. You make good points too though xD

@ Mindi - The point to my accuracy statement in the given situation is to ensure (since assuming in a group with Bard anyway) that resist rate is floored when you decide to burn Saboteur. Outside of Saboteur I agree it's more worthwhile to gear towards potency, and I personally haven't dealt with anything that hasn't only resisted me out of luck anyway. It is a safeguard though and there's no loss in potency if elegy is on anyway since mob slow caps at 100%.
 Asura.Isiolia
Server: Asura
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2010-09-28 09:54:12
Link | Quote | Reply

As mentioned, INT/MND on Augur's (or other gear for that matter) translates to some MAcc anyway - either 2:1 or 1:1, depending on dMND/dINT. It's not a black and white potency or accuracy issue - Augur gives you accuracy too. Just not as much.

Right now, full-potency MND is pretty easy to land spells on most things out there. IMO, before you swap armor slots, fall back to a staff first (not to mention that you can build a Magian weapon for a lot more accuracy still).

IMO, default to Augur's for Para/Slow unless you're almost never landing them. MAcc to MND tradeoff is better for head and weapon slots if you need to make some concessions.
 Bahamut.Aiyana
By Bahamut.Aiyana 2010-09-28 09:54:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Lithical said:
Bahamut.Aiyana said:
Phoenix.Lithical said:

Yeah, I was assuming there would be two RDM in a higher-tier mob situation to rotate. But as you said if no elegy it's certainly worth trying to get all the potency you can get out of Slow2. I often find myself soloing/duoing in Abyssea with me either RDM/SCH or RDM/NIN with my friend MNK/NIN or RDM/NIN too so I can certainly appreciate a strong potency set. In large group situations I tend to gear more towards accuracy to be safe. You make good points too though xD

@ Mindi - The point to my accuracy statement in the given situation is to ensure (since assuming in a group with Bard anyway) that resist rate is floored when you decide to burn Saboteur. Outside of Saboteur I agree it's more worthwhile to gear towards potency, and I personally haven't dealt with anything that hasn't only resisted me out of luck anyway. It is a safeguard though and there's no loss in potency if elegy is on anyway since mob slow caps at 100%.

Just something to think about...
Full potency Sab Slow2 with 4/5 merits will net you a 76% slow, thus allowing capped slow on the target with a simple Battlefield Elegy.

Can be worth using if you have a BalladBRD who can't land their spells no matter how hard they try, and get a lucky Battlefield off.
 Fenrir.Azazael
By Fenrir.Azazael 2010-09-28 10:33:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aiyana said:

I see you have Morrigan's feet. Do not, and I repeat DO NOT. Use Avocat Pigaches for MND based enfeebles. Ever.
Morrigan feet will always provide at least 5m.acc, up to 10m.acc. Avocat will only provide 3, and are thusly inferior in every situation a MND enfeeble is concerned.
Nashira seraweels are similarly outdated for RDM. Sagacity Lappas are a great upgrade for MND enfeebles, and AF3+1 pants (Not hard to obtain) replace them for INT enfeebles.

Feet are the last thing I switch if have problems (so really it never gets to that point).

For MND enfeebs I will keep my Morri legs, unless there is something I am missing and a reason to switch to Sagacity.

Thanks for the rest of the replies, it is kinda what I was thinking already :)
 Phoenix.Lithical
By Phoenix.Lithical 2010-09-28 10:35:09
Link | Quote | Reply

A little read on potency (under Sabo) on BG, in large part I've taken Thorny's stance on gearing for Slow2 as I regard him as one of the best players I've met really... He's pretty respected (as far as skill goes).

Read like this and next page or two I think... this is a link to BG so yeah... I know a lot of posters here (understandably so) can't stand the BG elitism xD

I got the idea behind the Carnage Elegy needing you to only get 25% Slow2 from him to be honest. He gears for only 181 then stacks accuracy. It's an easy number for me to gear even with subpar gear. He has screenshot of his mule's a potency set on there. Since he's really elitist about what he thinks is "easy to obtain" I'll post how I hit that here if you want to follow the way he gears... Mind you, I am Elvaan. So you will need a little more depending on race probably... I'm assuming 181 is just a MND target in Saboteur situations but I don't know, can't be assed to reread that stuff right now. I personally like rotating Sabo Slow2s anyway.

That would be 161, I have one of the abyssite of furtherance, working on getting other with my friend. The coast one everyone should get, two RDM/NIN can duo with minimal skill kite+nuking around the bridge to the north of flame skimmer spawn. So with cruor buffs (+20 stat) that would be 181. Mahatma pigaches can be replaced with teal feet which I believe also give 6 MND.

Yes, I am lacking imp shield (before someone says I've had years to get it, I recently obtained this account from friend who quit) because it won't drop for me :( but it doesn't matter. When I get the other furtherance I can get rid of the mythic+1 and communions in group situations and still match the same MND w/ staff and reign grip. 6 stat rings, I am told, are actually much cheaper to make than they sell for. So if you can't afford AH price, price mats and find someone to make for you.

Anyway the point is it's not hard to hit 181. Obviously if you have Ovni body, RDM neck, or other upgrades I haven't gotten around to yet, you can forgo bringing MND earrings in any situation and save yourself some inventory space.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-09-28 17:18:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Azazael said:
Bahamut.Aiyana said:

Feet are the last thing I switch if have problems (so really it never gets to that point).

For MND enfeebs I will keep my Morri legs, unless there is something I am missing and a reason to switch to Sagacity.

Thanks for the rest of the replies, it is kinda what I was thinking already :)
Think you missed the point on the feet... Morri feet give more macc than Avocat for MND enfeebs, you shouldn't be swapping into them ever. Goliard's more accurate for INT enfeebs as well, could use Augur's if you have them (same 4 macc as Goliard, also nice for nuking).

Shiva.Khimaira said:
INT/MND is effect, Enfeeb Skill is Magic Accuracy. Always go for MACC on your Binds/Gravs I think, PARA/SLOW if you can land it go for effect, if not go for a bit of both. Might be a bit easier to say if you posted your set

INT/MND also provide macc on their respective magics.
 Bahamut.Shaj
user: Shaj
By Bahamut.Shaj 2010-09-28 17:21:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Khimaira said:

So you didn't quit? you are back? ALL HAIL KHIMAIRA <3 U (idk u but <3)
 Fenrir.Azazael
By Fenrir.Azazael 2010-09-29 09:03:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Think you missed the point on the feet... Morri feet give more macc than Avocat for MND enfeebs, you shouldn't be swapping into them ever. Goliard's more accurate for INT enfeebs as well, could use Augur's if you have them (same 4 macc as Goliard, also nice for nuking).
oh I got it, I guess I didn't get it across that I had never used em for enfeebs, my bad.

Is what I really need is for SE to make some feet that are loaded with INT, MP, and hMP. Then I can trash the rest of my shoes and just use them and Morri.

I am half tempted to just drop the Avocat since the main reason I have them is for the hMP, and really who rests for MP anymore?
 Unicorn.Moldtech
Server: Unicorn
user: Moldtech
By Unicorn.Moldtech 2010-09-29 09:28:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aiyana said:
A handful of Abyssean NMs, (even higher tier ones) ARE weak to the effects of Gravity/Bind. Most people just assume otherwise and don't even try to land them. As a RDM, landing Slow/Para on anything that matters, (Cerberus does not matter. I mean come on..), is painfully easy. Full-MND builds are the way to go on nearly every target. That includes NOT using elemental staves! Full INT-based Skill builds: Gravity, Bind, Poison, Blind, Sleep(lol). Full MND potency builds: Slow, Paralyze. Full MND-based Skill builds: Silence, (Addle?). I don't have accurate information on Addle yet. Personally using it with my Silence gear. To answer the OP. No. Higher tier mobs it is still a better idea to go with full potency. Notable exceptions being ToAU/WotG Kings. (Seriously, why..?)

I believe Addle to be Int based
 Asura.Isiolia
Server: Asura
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2010-09-29 09:47:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Moldtech said:

I believe Addle to be Int based

Would be odd considering it's White Magic.
 Sylph.Rorrick
Server: Sylph
user: Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2010-09-30 07:29:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure I understand why you'd waste Saboteur on Slow if you have an Elegy around instead of using it on Paralyze, other than you don't want to carry potency gear around.