What DRK's Best Magian Scythes?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » What DRK's best Magian Scythes?
What DRK's best Magian Scythes?
First Page 2 3
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-09-21 09:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit: Changed topic title from what is to what are, and forgot the "are". Fml

Currently I'm working on the STP Scythe, but I keep looking at some of the others. Penitence +1 looks pretty good, as does the 2-3Hit one, the WS DMG + one, and the STR + one.

So yeah, I'm pretty lost at this post. Besides Redemption, what is the best scythe for DRK? Also, how hard is it to get Coin of Births?

Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-21 09:54:34
Link | Quote | Reply

It's kinda situational. But endark makes 2-3 even better than it was before
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-09-21 09:56:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The Occasionally Attacks 2-3 times scythe has so many "situational" uses like zergs, Endark, /SAM, /DNC, and any sort of exp party, that I'd recommend that over any other scythe. Max DMG scythes just mean you have to TP in more STR (And less Haste/ACC, lol) to really get any use out of it.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-21 09:59:54
Link | Quote | Reply

The max dmg scythes have enough base dmg to beat out say the str one. 8-12 base dmg beats 8 str for tping anyways.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-09-21 14:10:10
Link | Quote | Reply

OAT scythe.

Otherwise, StoreTP reckoning +1 scythe, and make an easier 5hit build with it.

Going from a 6hit to a 5hit with that scythe is a 20% increase in WS frequency.

Regarding Endark, it's nice to cast it before engaging a mob or in between pulls etc....but still remember that it's useless with a DNC in PT.
 Cerberus.Zandra
Server: Cerberus
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2010-09-21 14:41:27
Link | Quote | Reply

DOn't forget about the DEX one....

8 DEX and 18 ACC is nothing to joke about.
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-09-21 14:48:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been thinking about this alot lately too..I just finished up my Stingray+1 and I was thinking about starting either Scythe or GA soon.

If I did Scythe I'd probably do Str/Attk or the StoreTP path.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-09-21 14:49:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
OAT scythe.

I agree with your conclusions, except that 6hit => 5hit is a 25% increase in WS frequency, not 20%. The factor we are interested in is the rate of increase of weaponskills, which are dependent on hits between WS. The hits between WS decrease from 5 to 4, meaning the improvement is 1/4 = 25%.
[+]
 Shiva.Darkmacabre
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkmacabre 2010-09-21 14:50:00
Link | Quote | Reply

The one that gives Chr+ or Mag. Evasion. :D ...no.

Store TP one is very nice, OAT ones can be very nice depending on the situation... eh it's been mentioned already though.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-09-21 15:02:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
OAT scythe.

I agree with your conclusions, except that 6hit => 5hit is a 25% increase in WS frequency, not 20%. The factor we are interested in is the rate of increase of weaponskills, which are dependent on hits between WS. The hits between WS decrease from 5 to 4, meaning the improvement is 1/4 = 25%.

True, I only did 6hit to 5hit. Taking into consideration that that's really the number of hits if you count the WS as a hit, and also that that's the number of melee swings needed if starting from 0% TP. (but then again, with meditate and a multi-hit WS, you almost never start at 0% TP)

You're right, most of the time in a true 6hit (6hit/5hit rebuild) you only take 5 melee hits to get back to 100% TP, and in a true 5hit (5hit/4hit rebuild) you only take 4 melee hits to get back to 100% TP.

So yeah, based on that it is a 25% increase in WS frequency like you said.
[+]
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-09-21 15:21:32
Link | Quote | Reply

If you cant do the OAT, which has turned into a *** monster, 90 DMG 3 less than Perdu was... Then I would highly recommend the 5-hit Reckoning, it has 10STP now which makes getting that x-hit alot easier.

No other Magian scythe really competes with those two at all, and STP is the easiest Magian path to take~

You need 24 STP in gear total, The Scythe/Rose Strap/Brutal/Rajas will give you 20 STP, then you can figure it out from there~

This is what I am currently using, stopped using ugly piss body this update x;

The new Ace's Sabatons would be ideal for this build, 3 Haste and 5 STP, I am holding out for those :3
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-21 15:34:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
OAT scythe.

Regarding Endark, it's nice to cast it before engaging a mob or in between pulls etc....but still remember that it's useless with a DNC in PT.

Endark grants an Attack bonus of +50~ depending on Dark Magic skill. Hardly useless, even without the Darkness damage.

OAT
Reckoning(STP if it creates a 5hit for you)
ATK+ - DMG are roughly on part, it can depend with your gear.

Reckoning STP and Attack+ are the most accessible. The OAT and DMG+ require tons more work to put them in the proper position to topple the STP and even in some cases, the "Good but not great" Attack+ scythe.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-09-21 15:56:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
OAT scythe.

Endark grants an Attack bonus of +50~ depending on Dark Magic skill. Hardly useless, even without the Darkness damage.

I know what Endark does.

However, you only get the 50 attack (which also diminishes by one point after each hit, just like the endark dmg effect), IF you cast Endark.

If have a DNC in PT, and you cast Endark, it will overwrite haste samba.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-21 16:00:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
OAT scythe.

I know what Endark does.

However, you only get the 50 attack (which also diminishes by one point after each hit, just like the endark dmg effect), IF you cast Endark.

If have a DNC in PT, and you cast Endark, it will overwrite haste samba.

My bad, for some reason I thought Endark had no effect when Sambas were in place. Shows how much I know about loldnc.
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2010-09-21 16:02:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I've just started to level DRK and the OAT looks damn sexy!
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-09-21 16:27:32
Link | Quote | Reply

So do Twice instead of Three Times scythe?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-21 16:29:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra said:
I'd do thrice... still decently faster tping and a decent bit easier to get. Especially if you don't have lots of abyssea time and/or don't have groups that do VNMs and such.
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-09-21 16:33:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Zandra said:
DOn't forget about the DEX one....

8 DEX and 18 ACC is nothing to joke about.
Agreed, ***'s bananas. That + Bomb Core is an extra 12 Accuracy and 6 Attack over a Fire Bomblet.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-09-21 16:45:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Oa3x is a stupid amount of grinding for a very average Scythe. I'd avoid it.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-09-21 16:49:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra said:

OAT, yes.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-21 16:51:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I think people underestimate how difficult it is for most people to get all the stuff for the high dmg OAT path. I'd rather go for the weaker empyrean lol
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-09-21 16:54:56
Link | Quote | Reply

5hit sTP > Oa3x though, and MUCH easier to get.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-09-21 16:56:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I believe the distribution for OA3 scythe is 50/30/20.

That being said, if you can't get high dmg OAT scythe, then a good option, as it has been said already, would be a StoreTP reckoning +1 scythe... for easier 5hit build. (5hit/4hit rebuild)

And the STP scythe isn't really hard to get either.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-21 17:05:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
5hit sTP > Oa3x though, and MUCH easier to get.
Assuming that that scythe makes the difference between hits without dropping haste or lets you put haste in somehwere you were putting store tp to keep the 5 hit
 Phoenix.Excelior
Server: Phoenix
user: Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-09-21 22:01:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I would definately go for the reckoning and a 5 hit build. (assuming you have proper gear for it) The new +50str +5%DA +regain atma favors reckoning more because it will let you cap FSTR on higher difficulty mobs a lot easier. This will negate some of the advantage of the OAT scythe because it has a much much lower FSTR cap. The fact the atma also gives regain and double attack favors reckoning as well.

Also, you guys should realize that the addition of so much new double attack gear will gradually undermine the effectiveness of the OAT scythe be reducing the relative averages of additional attacks. This means that the higher double attack rating you get the more and more ineffective OAT will become.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-21 22:04:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Wish I had that atma. But I seriously doubt I'm going to even fight the tier or 2 below that lol
 Phoenix.Excelior
Server: Phoenix
user: Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-09-23 09:59:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Wish I had that atma. But I seriously doubt I'm going to even fight the tier or 2 below that lol

I don't have that atma either, and it causes a massive void in my damage.
 Asura.Magicide
Server: Asura
By Asura.Magicide 2010-10-03 08:25:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm currently using the Reckoning +1 with +10 STP, and it's definitely the one I'd recommend for someone asking. It's stupidly easy to get, (just takes a little grinding, everything's easy to find), 113 base damage, and you barely have to sneeze on it with STP gear to get a 5-hit. Here's the build I use.

(Reckoning has +10 STP, legs are +3 haste/+7 accuracy, and Jupiter's ring has +6 attack).

Assuming /SAM this 5hits on 3/4-hit guillotines, even when you swap ammo/feet for WS. It's pretty nice.

The other option I'd consider seriously is the Penitence +1 (NQ Empyrean). A linkshell mate has the Great Katana and even without aftermath, Tachi: Fudo is unbelievable (mob-depending, I'm comfortable saying it can easily outdamage an Amano). Everything I've heard indicates that Quietus is just as good. Getting the coins from WoE is a pain, but with a good group fluxes 1-2 can be low-manned.

The OAT is beastly and the OA2-3 has specialty uses but both require more grinding than the Penitence +1 and I've a strong feeling the Penitence +1 will crush either.
 Caitsith.Jar
Server: Caitsith
user: Jar
By Caitsith.Jar 2010-10-03 08:40:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Magicide said:

I'm guessing thats a AF3 hat +1 not relic +1 <_<
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-10-03 08:41:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Magicide said:
I'm currently using the Reckoning +1 with +10 STP, and it's definitely the one I'd recommend for someone asking. It's stupidly easy to get, (just takes a little grinding, everything's easy to find), 113 base damage, and you barely have to sneeze on it with STP gear to get a 5-hit. Here's the build I use.

(Reckoning has +10 STP, legs are +3 haste/+7 accuracy, and Jupiter's ring has +6 attack).

Assuming /SAM this 5hits on 3/4-hit guillotines, even when you swap ammo/feet for WS. It's pretty nice.

The other option I'd consider seriously is the Penitence +1 (NQ Empyrean). A linkshell mate has the Great Katana and even without aftermath, Tachi: Fudo is unbelievable (mob-depending, I'm comfortable saying it can easily outdamage an Amano). Everything I've heard indicates that Quietus is just as good. Getting the coins from WoE is a pain, but with a good group fluxes 1-2 can be low-manned.

The OAT is beastly and the OA2-3 has specialty uses but both require more grinding than the Penitence +1 and I've a strong feeling the Penitence +1 will crush either.

I would highly recommend getting a Rose strap, would put you at True 5-hit. Would let you Ditch the White Tathlum for a Bomb Core or Fire Bomblet. Also I hope your not TP'ing in AF2 head, did you mean to add Bale Burgeonet +1 to that set?
First Page 2 3