Game: FFXI
user: Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-11 13:39:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Lakshmi.Galvaya said:
Caitsith.Shiroi said:
No you are right on that and I do think it is way more work to upgrade the relic trials. Where you are wrong is here
Quote:
For them to be up to par
and also here
Quote:
shield and Horn are the most worth it. Then maybe club.
By up to par, I mean the margin between the difference of a standard weapon to a relic. By club/horn/shield I mean relics that are worth the trouble without an upgrade.
Then you chose poorly your words, but I won't argue over that. For the relics worth it without an upgrade you are still wrong, the -only- one would be Excalibur by a very large margin. Second would be Apocalypse. That's without an upgrade. Shield: PLD can hit 50% MDT easily while having sword + shield. Aegis only lets you wear more MDB, which is definately an upgradre but it wouldnt be worth 200m. Horn: It already felt useless with the refresh atma's, but they also added a ballad+1 harp that is easy to obtain, also marches can be capped easily now with minimal gear or merits. Club: Relic club is trash, Yagrush would have been cheaper/better
When I think of Aegis, I don't usually think "MDT". I think of the sexy high block-rate and large damage reduction when blocking. The MDT on it would just be icing on the cake, and allowing for much much more MDB/HP in gear. I think in terms of improvement... Someone wearing one of the best shields outside of Aegis vs. Aegis in comparision to someone using one of the topish ToM weapons vs. most relic weapons. Horn definitely got the shaft with this past update. Ballad +1 horn and the introduction of +3 instruments. So.. in my opinion, the only really useful relic anymore is Aegis. Fortunately, some of the mythics have interesting enough effects to keep them useful for some time. I suppose relics weapons are good for epeen'ing or fulfilling some long-lived goal in your ffxi career, though.

wut.

1. PLD is dead.
2. Koenig shield has same block rate as aegis
3. You can macro in -25% magic damage
4. You shouldnt be hit in melee if you're /nin
5. Aegis sucks.

Most relics suck these days but the best in terms of improvement of the job are: Excalibur, Apocalypse, Bow, Gun, (Amano is dead now), (Mandau is dead now), Bravura.
 Fenrir.Azazael
Server: Fenrir
user: azazael
By Fenrir.Azazael 2010-10-12 08:54:53
Link | Quote | Reply

sorry Skar I just saw your question, yeah I am still working on Excal :)

Trying to figure out if I have the friends to lowman Chloris and maybe start working on Emp Polearm.
 Phoenix.Juggalo
Server: Phoenix
user: Juggalo
By Phoenix.Juggalo 2010-10-22 12:17:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Made a ton of edits to the original post, with screenshots of each piece (where available), a re-format of upgrading, and more info altogether.

If anything else pops up, let me know and I'll update again!
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-10-22 12:39:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Juggalo said:
Made a ton of edits to the original post, with screenshots of each armor piece, re-format of upgrading, and more info altogether. If anything else pops up, let me know and I'll update again!
Good work and thanks for all the edits.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-10-22 12:39:40
Link | Quote | Reply

And that's why I say that Aegis is the best pick, in my opinion. Most empyrean weapons out-DD relics that didn't have useful aftermaths(except probably gun). To say that a DD job should focus on building a less powerful weapon over 1-2 years, instead of focusing on building a more powerful weapon in 4-6 months seems kind of ridiculous. In terms of useful spending of dynamis coinage, you'd be better off putting those coins to build Aegis and GHorn since stronger weapons exist that take much less time or gil. Let the BRDs and PLDs be better at their stuff(hopefully Empyrean weapons will lower the cost of dynamis coins), and DDs can focus on Empyrean weapons for higher damage.

As for never getting hit in melee when you're /nin, if the NM is using AoE abilities or spells then you're bound to be shadowless sometime.

-25% with Shellra V is cap, and yes that's easily obtainable without the shield. But you can't get high levels of MDB if you're pouring all your gear into MDT.

I'm just saying that building a relic weapon just seems pretty ridiculous with these new weapons out. Maybe SE will return relic weapons' former glory by level 99, though, since it's not like they'll ever tell us what their plans are.
 Fenrir.Snick
Server: Fenrir
user: Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-10-22 12:53:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
And that's why I say that Aegis is the best pick, in my opinion. Most empyrean weapons out-DD relics that didn't have useful aftermaths(except probably gun). To say that a DD job should focus on building a less powerful weapon over 1-2 years, instead of focusing on building a more powerful weapon in 4-6 months seems kind of ridiculous. In terms of useful spending of dynamis coinage, you'd be better off putting those coins to build Aegis and GHorn since stronger weapons exist that take much less time or gil. Let the BRDs and PLDs be better at their stuff(hopefully Empyrean weapons will lower the cost of dynamis coins), and DDs can focus on Empyrean weapons for higher damage.

As for never getting hit in melee when you're /nin, if the NM is using AoE abilities or spells then you're bound to be shadowless sometime.

-25% with Shellra V is cap, and yes that's easily obtainable without the shield. But you can't get high levels of MDB if you're pouring all your gear into MDT.

I'm just saying that building a relic weapon just seems pretty ridiculous with these new weapons out. Maybe SE will return relic weapons' former glory by level 99, though, since it's not like they'll ever tell us what their plans are.
ITT: PLD is useful.

Also relics take over a year to finish wut? And Empyreans take 4 months wut?
 Bismarck.Tuvae
Server: Bismarck
user: Tuv
By Bismarck.Tuvae 2010-11-14 10:29:41
Link | Quote | Reply

So I got a brisk Mask... Anyone know if its useful at all for drg? Losing a bit of haste frmo turban i know, and i dont have af3+1 yet. So just looking to find out if its actually got any worth other than a trophy peice.
 Quetzalcoatl.Natlow
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Natlow
By Quetzalcoatl.Natlow 2010-11-14 10:35:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Tuvae said:
So I got a brisk Mask... Anyone know if its useful at all for drg? Losing a bit of haste frmo turban i know, and i dont have af3+1 yet. So just looking to find out if its actually got any worth other than a trophy peice.

If it allows you to get a 5-hit build, yes. If not, no.

I'd imagine you're better off using turban/AF3+1 and a goading belt to help achieve a 5-hit, than using your brisk mask.
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
Server: Carbuncle
user: Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2010-11-14 10:48:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Lakshmi.Galvaya said:
Caitsith.Shiroi said:
No you are right on that and I do think it is way more work to upgrade the relic trials. Where you are wrong is here
Quote:
For them to be up to par
and also here
Quote:
shield and Horn are the most worth it. Then maybe club.
By up to par, I mean the margin between the difference of a standard weapon to a relic. By club/horn/shield I mean relics that are worth the trouble without an upgrade.
Then you chose poorly your words, but I won't argue over that. For the relics worth it without an upgrade you are still wrong, the -only- one would be Excalibur by a very large margin. Second would be Apocalypse. That's without an upgrade. Shield: PLD can hit 50% MDT easily while having sword + shield. Aegis only lets you wear more MDB, which is definately an upgradre but it wouldnt be worth 200m. Horn: It already felt useless with the refresh atma's, but they also added a ballad+1 harp that is easy to obtain, also marches can be capped easily now with minimal gear or merits. Club: Relic club is trash, Yagrush would have been cheaper/better
When I think of Aegis, I don't usually think "MDT". I think of the sexy high block-rate and large damage reduction when blocking. The MDT on it would just be icing on the cake, and allowing for much much more MDB/HP in gear. I think in terms of improvement... Someone wearing one of the best shields outside of Aegis vs. Aegis in comparision to someone using one of the topish ToM weapons vs. most relic weapons. Horn definitely got the shaft with this past update. Ballad +1 horn and the introduction of +3 instruments. So.. in my opinion, the only really useful relic anymore is Aegis. Fortunately, some of the mythics have interesting enough effects to keep them useful for some time. I suppose relics weapons are good for epeen'ing or fulfilling some long-lived goal in your ffxi career, though.
wut. 1. PLD is dead. 2. Koenig shield has same block rate as aegis 3. You can macro in -25% magic damage 4. You shouldnt be hit in melee if you're /nin 5. Aegis sucks. Most relics suck these days but the best in terms of improvement of the job are: Excalibur, Apocalypse, Bow, Gun, (Amano is dead now), (Mandau is dead now), Bravura.
Aegis has better block rate then koenig