New Graphic Card Suggestion Help.

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXIV » General » New Graphic Card Suggestion Help.
New Graphic Card Suggestion Help.
 Cerberus.Mofongo
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Mofongo
By Cerberus.Mofongo 2010-09-08 20:44:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, i have a new asus i5 with 2.52GHz, Ati Mobility Radeon HD5470 Graphics 1GB but seems that it doesnt run it well. I put the "Windows Size" to 1024x768 under ffxivconf and also put "Buffer Size" Two-thirds windows size.

It runs okay, and graphics r not bad, but still, i want to try and run it on high performance, or normal one.

So, im thinking of changing this graphic card, and i need suggestions cuz i dont know anything about them..

Was thinking of GeForce GTX 460M.

EDIT: This is a laptop.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-09-08 20:49:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Well laptops generally have the cards integrated. GTX460 would definitely run XIV though, as would an ATI Radeon 5770.
 Cerberus.Mofongo
By Cerberus.Mofongo 2010-09-08 20:54:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Well laptops generally have the cards integrated. GTX460 would definitely run XIV though, as would an ATI Radeon 5770.

Ik laptop has them integrated, such as mine, and mine run it. But i want to change it cuz this gona be my game for a long time and i wont change my laptop anytime soon. Willing to spend up to 220$ on a card.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-09-08 20:59:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I know, that's the problem. If it's integrated you can't just pop it out and insert a new one, I'm not too knowledgeable on whether it can be done or not or what the process entails. If you can change it then yeah both those cards I mentioned will handle XIV well.
 Cerberus.Mofongo
By Cerberus.Mofongo 2010-09-08 21:00:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
I know, that's the problem. If it's integrated you can't just pop it out and insert a new one, I'm not too knowledgeable on whether it can be done or not or what the process entails. If you can change it then yeah both those cards I mentioned will handle XIV well.

Ofcourse they able to change it. How well can run it? In high?? or atleast in how the came comes?
 Asura.Auroura
Server: Asura
user: auroura
By Asura.Auroura 2010-09-08 21:02:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I am no expert but what i have found is you can't change them, there is no way to do so. As I was told by a friend, with laptops "what you bought is what you got".
 Cerberus.Mofongo
By Cerberus.Mofongo 2010-09-08 21:06:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Auroura said:
I am no expert but what i have found is you can't change them, there is no way to do so. As I was told by a friend, with laptops "what you bought is what you got".

Bah!!! I hate this.. :( bought this asus and now it cant run the game as i wanted.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-09-08 21:07:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Mofongo said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Ofcourse they able to change it. How well can run it? In high?? or atleast in how the came comes?

You can't just assume they can change it, usually the card is integrated into the motherboard, replacing that is essentially replacing the entire laptop aside from the case. Some laptops do let you change it, but integrated cards are just out of luck.
As for the card, I benched 3000 on high with ATI, GTX series are better cards, but bench lower due to lack of a compatable driver at the moment. When that's fixed though the GTX would outperform the ATI card.
 Cerberus.Mofongo
By Cerberus.Mofongo 2010-09-08 21:12:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Cerberus.Mofongo said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:

You can't just assume they can change it, usually the card is integrated into the motherboard, replacing that is essentially replacing the entire laptop aside from the case. Some laptops do let you change it, but integrated cards are just out of luck.
As for the card, I benched 3000 on high with ATI, GTX series are better cards, but bench lower due to lack of a compatable driver at the moment. When that's fixed though the GTX would outperform the ATI card.

What does the benchmark rly do? i never tried it. Does it tells me what can my laptop run well?
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-09-08 21:15:43
Link | Quote | Reply

It plays the opening demo in either high or low settings and gives you a score at the end. The higher the number the better your system can handle the game, though I'd recommend not taking it entirely at face value, a lot of people scored low and could still run the game. If you're already playing the game then I'm sure you already have an idea of you can handle it. It's also possible it stabalises when the retail version is released which might improve performance some.
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
Server: Diabolos
user: Caesar
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2010-09-08 21:44:06
Link | Quote | Reply

The benchmark numbers are balls. They mean next to nothing. I'm able to play on a laptop with a 54** series ATI videocard. It's not the best looking, but it runs well. Think I'm at 1280x800 and resolution buffer. Everything else on standard or medium. I got a 1742 on the benchmark. Which basically said the game was unplayable. I'm playing with medium settings at 40+ fps...

Anyways, point is, the 5400+ series of ATI cards should run the game well enough. 90% of the time you can not upgrade a laptop videocard. The only ones I have seen that are upgradeable are specially designed gaming laptops with a special MXM style videocard. Your laptop will not have that if it came with a 5470.

Sorry, but you're stuck with what you got. Gotta be real careful when purchasing laptops due to the fact that you can't make them run faster at a later date. :(

EDIT! Actually, you might be able to upgrade the laptop if the company you purchased it from offers a higher performing videocard for the same chassis. Even so, it's going to be an expensive fix... they have to replace the entire motherboard. You might be better off buying a new laptop and selling that one.
 Valefor.Cloudxi
Server: Valefor
user: Cloudxi
By Valefor.Cloudxi 2010-09-09 20:27:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:

I can vouch for the GTX460 1gb, i had an asus crappy gfx card but once i put the GTX460 in the game ran 100x smoother and the npc's didnt take time to load etc.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-09-09 20:30:08
Link | Quote | Reply

OP speaks of GTX460M, significantly weaker than a PC GTX460, but still good.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
Server: Bahamut
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-09-09 20:38:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm selling my laptop and building one. Give me a good card to throw in my rig ;) something not to pricey please but I want to run 14 on medium to highish level with no problems at all.

cpu will be 2.8ghz
ram will be 6gb
hard drive 1tb

go go go ^^

I seen a ATI Radeon 57 something with 1gb DDR3. That good? I assumed so but want to know.
By Zekko 2010-09-09 20:41:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Or you could just build a destop for the same price as the laptop you build an dhave better performance.
[+]
 Remora.Eireamhon
Server: Remora
user: Eireamhon
By Remora.Eireamhon 2010-09-09 20:46:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I have an Asus G60VX with a GTX 260M and I'm running on:
1366x768 full screen not windowed. No AA, buffer Res, Shadwow detail Standard. Graphics I have Ambient and Depth field checked with Texture Qual/filter on high. I slammed the AA/Multisampling for shits and giggles to 16xQ CSAA. And it was pretty chopy.

Your going to have to change out the MB though. The GPU is intergrated and I don't think they have a pci-e slot to changed to something better. And tbh, if you could, the price for a mobile GPU is ridiculous!

Hope things get better for you though. ;)
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
Server: Lakshmi
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2010-09-09 20:47:46
Link | Quote | Reply

ATI Radeon 5770 out performs ff14, i recommend that card, it's cheap and powerful
 Remora.Eireamhon
Server: Remora
user: Eireamhon
By Remora.Eireamhon 2010-09-09 21:00:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kaioshin said:
I'm selling my laptop and building one. Give me a good card to throw in my rig ;) something not to pricey please but I want to run 14 on medium to highish level with no problems at all. cpu will be 2.8ghz ram will be 6gb hard drive 1tb go go go ^^ I seen a ATI Radeon 57 something with 1gb DDR3. That good? I assumed so but want to know.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231189

This is for a 9500GT but it's an epic cooler and quiet as hell! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185081

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131405

CPU cooler also epic and you can get a mount conversion kit from Scythe for like 10-20 maybe less. I honestly can't remember and don't feel like running through the other invoces to find it. lol ;P http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185074

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215

Now I left out my DVD/CD burner and 3 HDDs. but if you really want to know I cna post them.

The GPU I was looking at was
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261076 Looks like the eggs are dropping to 4 from 5 lol so might be something better or it could be morons not knowing how to build a machine or just whinners.

So that's my suggestion. Good luck! :D

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
Server: Lakshmi
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2010-09-10 00:02:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Quote:
ATI Radeon 5770 out performs ff14, i recommend that card, it's cheap and powerful

This, card goes for about 120$? It's the biggest bang for your buck.
if you compare to nvidia cards those relative specs on the 5770 you will see what i'm talking about