2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Drk gear critique
Drk gear critique
First Page 2
By Cado 2010-09-07 14:35:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I have recently started into the endgame scene and been re-evaluating my gear choices and wanted to run some ideas by you guys since there's a severe lack of dedicated drks in my LS.

TP:

Guillo:

8/8 scythe merits

Severance is Dmg 105 Dex+6 Acc+16 I usually eat bison steak (still trying to find the best bang for the buck meat).

seeing as I'm sitting at 429.7 Acc TP and 445.5 Acc WS I was thinking of swapping out my body piece for a more Atk oriented piece (maybe askar?) since I'm capped for Acc on exp mobs.

I'm on 8-3 for CoP, am ready for a DM run, on the final fight for A Moogle Kupo d'Etat, and am in an active limbus shell saving my beastcoins. Also I have no access to salvage or einherjar at this time.

Therefore, the next gear additions are as follows:

galea: standard ws acc +15/ ws dmg+2% mods

My main questions are:
1) is it feasible to bother working towards an atk body piece (askar) keep in mind I LOATHE the perle set.

2)should I just scrap my scythe and get the str/atk absolution

3) what gear should I be working towards other that whats in the above item set
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-09-07 14:41:37
Link | Quote | Reply

full perle(would make homam obselete unless you also making a zerg set), bomblet, abyssal earring, foragers or better, could use sword strap, sea gorget
and get that rajas ring and brutal earring !
could get away with something like

give or take better gear
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-09-07 14:46:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Full Perle is currently the best TP set for DRK so loathing it or not I wouldn't change it. The only exception would be if you needed Askar body to reach a 5hit build, in which case Homam/Askar would be the better choice, I have no idea about that though.
Aside from that don't change the TP build, capping acc or not, there's no equivalent offense/haste build to Perle barring Dusk+1. I'd recommend acquiring some Heca gear, a Sea gorget and a Blitz ring for your TP set.
[+]
By Cado 2010-09-07 14:46:51
Link | Quote | Reply

sword strap would break my hit build when I get my rajas (absolution is 513 delay). forgot to mention I just need a UFO organ for my snow gorget but everyone is too afraid to try one XD

also I have a mercurial kris and am builing a zerg set but its laughable at this point...
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-09-07 14:51:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Cado said:
sword strap would break my hit build when I get my rajas (absolution is 513 delay). forgot to mention I just need a UFO organ for my snow gorget but everyone is too afraid to try one XD also I have a mercurial kris and am builing a zerg set but its laughable at this point...
then polegrip it up
 Unicorn.Fosgate
Server: Unicorn
user: Fosgate
By Unicorn.Fosgate 2010-09-07 15:07:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Full Perle is currently the best TP set for DRK so loathing it or not I wouldn't change it.

WOAH WOAH WOAH..... it is?

It's better than this?

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-09-07 15:12:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Fosgate said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Full Perle is currently the best TP set for DRK so loathing it or not I wouldn't change it.

WOAH WOAH WOAH..... it is?

It's better than this?

Yes, full perle is better than that for TPing. Also, change that Pole grip to a sword strap...if you're using that Plaga scythe that has a 528 delay.
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-09-07 15:16:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah

STR +22
DEX +14
Attack +25 > 41
Accuracy +18 > 28
Haste +14
"Critical hit rate" +2%

VS

STR +6
DEX +6
Attack +12 > 16
Accuracy +25 >29
Haste +14

Beats Ebody too unless you are hurting for accuracy (unlikely with food though)

[+]
 Valefor.Cado
Server: Valefor
user: Cado
By Valefor.Cado 2010-09-07 15:22:35
Link | Quote | Reply

thanks for the fast replies guys! bleh looks like I'm gonna have to start farming to afford a blitz ring, still not sold on the fire bomblet if I'm capping Acc and am afraid I have too much.
 Fenrir.Mtmoogle
Server: Fenrir
user: Bogamoga
By Fenrir.Mtmoogle 2010-09-07 15:39:24
Link | Quote | Reply

if u tp, ws, and cast in perle no1 would care >____>
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-09-07 15:50:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Full Perle is better than HomamX3 + turban etc... for DRG and DRK TPing set. Also, it's free (or very cheap from ah, if you want to buy it).

It's that simple.
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-09-07 15:53:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Fosgate said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
WOAH WOAH WOAH..... it is? It's better than this?
Kinda sad but yes full perle is better than Homam/Turban/Ebody..well unless we are talking Zerg but that is different.

Work on Raja/Brutal as those are typically the best peices and "technically" free. And keep bugging your ls to help you kill UFO's for Gorget. Looks like a good start tho!

PS! whats with all the drk threads today??
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-09-07 23:07:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Since you loathe Perle~

This is what i'm using atm for 5-hit, lets me keep my homam and not run around like a Jango Fett clone trooper like the rest of the world D:

Askar is acceptable as well I guess as much as I hate to say so, the fact that we dont xp on birds that eat our food every five seconds really makes a difference :/

I think you need 2 more Store TP if you were using Askar for a true 5-hit though, using White Tathlum would be my choice but there are other pieces you can use as well.

Although if you can get one OAT scythe wipes the floor pretty bad w/ just about every other scythe other than relic, but that would put you back in 5/5 perle X:
 Caitsith.Jar
Server: Caitsith
user: Jar
By Caitsith.Jar 2010-09-08 00:40:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Volkom said:

lol.... barring the brutal gorget and hat you just downgraded him fail upgrade is fail
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-09-08 10:09:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Jar said:
Quetzalcoatl.Volkom said:
lol.... barring the brutal gorget and hat you just downgraded him fail upgrade is fail
i kept it relatively within his gear selection. without going crazy.
its not like he'll be like this
and eating sushi >_>
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-09-08 10:17:30
Link | Quote | Reply

@ OP: What's wrong with full Perle for DRK TP equip?

It's cheap and just as effective (if not more effective?) as Homam gear with Hauberk (even +1).

You can loathe Perle ... but then you gotta bust your *** with a Limbus shell to get Homam gear that isn't any better.
[+]
 Valefor.Cado
By Valefor.Cado 2010-09-08 10:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

yea I realize perle is fantastic stat-wise, i just long for the day we will look like a drk and not a random DD

mostly I'm looking for an alternative to my Guillotine set other than an e-body since I feel like my guillos are lacking some punch
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-09-08 10:37:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Your Guillotine set looks good enough to me.

Key with that WS is to make sure you land all 4 hits.
After that, if you're consistently landing all 4 hits, switch some accuracy pieces out for attack/STR pieces and see how you do.

There's no magic formula for Guillotine, because its accuracy is so fickle. Your race, which buffs are on you, which food you eat, the level and evasiveness of the target ... all these things (and more) can influence your ability to land 4 hits.

Hate to sound like I'm repeating myself, but a situation makes you only land 2-3 hits on Guillotine, then that's why you're "lacking punch". If you're landing 4 hits, and still feel like you're lacking punch, then swap accuracy equipment out. Just remember to swap them back into your Guillotine if a different situation makes you miss WS hits.
 Valefor.Cado
By Valefor.Cado 2010-09-08 10:40:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I have more than enough accuracy and land all the hits most of the time (there's always that fluke) just looking for some str and atk options
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-09-08 10:59:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Cado said:
yea I realize perle is fantastic stat-wise, i just long for the day we will look like a drk and not a random DD mostly I'm looking for an alternative to my Guillotine set other than an e-body since I feel like my guillos are lacking some punch
Find ways to add more str to your ws set..granted you are using a multi hit ws so acc is nice but you are WS'ing in O-hat and 2x acc ring..in my WS set on drk those 3 slots add up to 21 Str. You could WS in Perle Head/Flame/Flame for another 15Str, some attack and just eat pizza and be a little better off. Try to finish CoP for Raja/Brutal and Abysal Earring from DM is nice if you main is going to be drk.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-09-08 11:02:50
Link | Quote | Reply

With Pizza I can even sport my Varangian Helm for some Abyssea mobs. DRK has a lot of accuracy options (with str on them). For old area mobs (pre-update) you should be fine on accuracy with minimal accuracy really, depending on what you fight. Nothing there is really evasive anymore. Make several sets, power set, balanced set, conservative set etc. I have 2 power sets with varying accuracy but similar str/attack depending on what I fight. Even small things can give you better results so having several sets will make your Guillos fit any situation.
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-09-08 11:30:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said:
With Pizza I can even sport my Varangian Helm for some Abyssea mobs. DRK has a lot of accuracy options (with str on them). For old area mobs (pre-update) you should be fine on accuracy with minimal accuracy really, depending on what you fight. Nothing there is really evasive anymore. Make several sets, power set, balanced set, conservative set etc. I have 2 power sets with varying accuracy but similar str/attack depending on what I fight. Even small things can give you better results so having several sets will make your Guillos fit any situation.
^ This
I have MaxStr, MaxAcc, And a Mix with a little of both and an Idle set with refresh/Regen.
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-09-08 11:39:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I was looking at your ws and you ws in +68 Acc before food..that is loads you can replace lots of peices to add more str which will boost your Guilo's.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-09-08 11:44:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Warwolf belt, Str ring+Rajas, Hauberk(or +1, NPC some abyssea gear. I NPC'd about 140k worth of gear and made 300k or so and bought myself a triumph ring before update lol), Bomb Core, Gigas bracelets etc. Calculate your accuracy and make changes based on what you're fighting. If you ever fight frogs in Abyssea, you need a lot of accuracy. I'd say 450ish at least because Those were quite evasive.
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-09-08 11:51:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know his Dex but with NQ pizza and Hasso he has 461 Acc on ws set. (I don't his Dex but I put it at 65+5 which should be low for most races.)
 Valefor.Cado
By Valefor.Cado 2010-09-08 11:52:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate those frogs! I'm thinking maybe I'll swap out rings first, would the bracelets really be better than the +10 atk +4 str on perle? I'm weary about swapping out my belt since i JUST got it 1/15 on bella =/

guess I could look into FoV augmenting some pieces, any recommended places?

445.5 Acc on WS pre-food 70+13 dex
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-09-08 11:59:00
Link | Quote | Reply

4 STR 10 Attack Vs 9-11 STR 6-8ish attack. I'd say yes.
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-09-08 12:10:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe Im doing something wrong but I added the dex(70+13) and I forgot to tell the calc that he was using 2handed weap and it had him at like 490 acc.

What did I do wrong?

Edit: I haven't really used ffcalc much so there is a good chance I messed it up.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-09-08 12:13:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Could you post the set you used to get 445 please?
 Valefor.Cado
By Valefor.Cado 2010-09-08 12:26:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said:
Could you post the set you used to get 445 please?

that's my guillo set, 8/8 scythe, 16 acc absolution (yea I know it says severance but w/e), and hasso
First Page 2