DRG = Pet Job?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » DRG = Pet job?
DRG = Pet job?
First Page 2 3 4
 Quetzalcoatl.Nightdragon
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
By Quetzalcoatl.Nightdragon 2010-08-23 12:52:15
Link | Quote | Reply

So I was reading around on the forums today and noticed in a few places where people refered to "Pet jobs". But then only listed the following jobs: SMN, BST and PUP.

I'm just curious here, do people think DRG is a pet job?

Persoanlly I would say yes, I have leveled both SMN and DRG, and see them both as pet jobs. But wanted to know what everyone else thought. Particularly interested to hear your reasoning if you dont think DRG falls into the catagory.
By Randomguy 2010-08-23 12:56:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Lets see here.

PUP has a JA called "Activate" which brings a little toy that does more damage than you.

SMN has several spells that brings "Avatars" which brings out some glowing rats or hot babes to do the dirty work for you.

BSTs have 2 JAs, one to take any animal roaming around and make it your little bish, or can bring an animal from a jug and make it your little bish. Either way, its going to be a fun night in your MH tonight!

DRGs have little flying rats that either breath on mobs or breath on you, so yeah, I think they are considered a pet job.
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
Server: Leviathan
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-08-23 12:58:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah DRG is considered a "pet" job.
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
Server: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-08-23 13:00:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Since you really don't have full control over the actions (can't tell it to go attack something without you attacking it, can't use Healing Breath without you casting magic first, etc) I wouldn't call it a "pet job".

Although technically the wyvern is a pet. Just depends on who you ask.
[+]
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2010-08-23 13:00:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ignore the dude with the Korpg avatar...

Really if you're being strict, DRG is a pet job because they have a little blue rat that pokes enemies while engaged. However being engaged is the key difference between DRG and the other 3 jobs mentioned. If the DRG is not attacking, then neither is the wyvern.

A SMN, BST, or PUP on the other hand can sic their little buddy on whatever their owner has targeted. The owners can sit back out of harms way.

So when you see a Pet burn, this is why DRG's are left out. Nothing personal it's just a matter of tactics...
[+]
 Caitsith.Linear
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-08-23 13:03:08
Link | Quote | Reply

While Dragoon has a pet, we lack the direct control BST, SMN and PUP have over their pets. Not to mention, Wyverns are significantly weaker than other pets and die far too quickly to be of much use where heavy AoE attacks are going to happen.

That said, DRG itself is a powerful DD with low enmity gain due to Spirit Jump, High Jump and Super Jump. They have a potential place in a Pet LS, maybe, but not because of our pet.
 Quetzalcoatl.Nightdragon
By Quetzalcoatl.Nightdragon 2010-08-23 13:03:44
Link | Quote | Reply

On or the main things that caught my eye was the following:
Sylph.Nemy said:
New Pet event linkshell looking for members. PetsOnParade are looking to recruit enough members to be able to do a as much as possible using the jobs we enjoy. We are still working out the main events we would like to take on to start but working to build up a helpful and active pet linkshell to enjoy the old and the new. Recruitment is mainly for Beastmaster's, Summoner's and Puppetmaster's all shapes and sizes. We also offer a home for people currently leveling Beastmaster's, Summoner's and Puppetmaster's 50+. Visit our forum for more info. PetsOnParade Forum (Forum is currently being worked on to make it a helpful area for its members)

Now dont get me wrong, its their linkshell, they are allowed make whatever rules they want and im in no way trying to QQ that theres no DRG's allowed (or at least requested).

I'm just wondering why they were ommitted in these types of situations. Again this is only one case of quite a few I have seen recently, was wondering if I missed the memo on the new trend. :)
By Randomguy 2010-08-23 13:07:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, you guys have no control over it?

You mean to tell me that every WS you do as a /DD job, your wyvern doesn't also "WS" with you?

Or that if you are DRG/Support, your wyvern doesn't help heal you?

DRG doesn't "need" its wyvern out to do damage. Most of a DRG's damage comes from the DRG, not the pet. But that doesn't mean that the pet is useless, nor helps define the role of the DRG.

Without the wyvern, DRGs can't solo.

Without the wyvern, there can't be any 6x DRG/WHM parties who can keep up with regular merit parties.

Without the wyvern, DRGs can't be considered one of the top DD jobs period.
[+]
By Randomguy 2010-08-23 13:13:38
Link | Quote | Reply

But, I guess it all depends on your definition on what a "pet" job really is.

If you want direct control over your pet, then DRG isn't really a pet job.

If you think that having a little rat whacking off of bunnies is a pet, then yeah, DRG is a pet job.
 Caitsith.Linear
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-08-23 13:14:15
Link | Quote | Reply

That's not direct control. It's indirect, and the fact I have to WS to make it do more damage is a liability. If I take hate on anything big, I'm going to be hit and it's going to hurt like a ***.
[+]
 Sylph.Rawkhawk
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Rawkhawk 2010-08-23 13:14:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Think Malekith put it the best, DRG can't just send the dragon into battle while they stay back. The dragon is more like a NPC fellow and less like a separate entity. I think cases can be made both ways, but I think that's the biggest difference. So they are going to fight something with a nasty AoE, all the pet jobs can send their pet into battle and avoid the AoE while damaging the foe. DRG can not.
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-08-23 13:14:32
Link | Quote | Reply

IMO it is.

But then again I can see how some might say it's not.
 Ragnarok.Zephyran
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zephyran
By Ragnarok.Zephyran 2010-08-23 13:21:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Not really, as you don't have full control over it. You don't tell it what to do, it just reacts to what you do.

The way I see it is that it's pretty much a physical Enspell you have to care of, that TP Feeds which can either do a burst of elemental damage /Melee (or Multi) when you weapon skill or when /Mage (or Multi) heal/-na when you're casting a spell/weapon skill.

And unlike SMN, PUP, and BST, a DRG doesn't really need their Wyvern to make them good at what they do (though it's very useful depending on the situation).
 Alexander.Meowryu
Server: Alexander
user: Meoryu
By Alexander.Meowryu 2010-08-23 13:29:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I mean.. technically drg can have just their pet melee the foe while they stand away... it's just not a very good idea, nor would it do all too much damage..

Engage foe -> Unlock from foe -> run back xxx yalms while weapon is still drawn.

Your wyvern should still be attacking while you stand away from the mob. lmao

But anyways, imo DRG is a pet job. It's a job, with a pet. The most you notice the wyvern is when a drg is soloing drg/mage and that wyvern is keeping his *** alive like no tomorrow.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Kurpse
user: Kurpse
By Lakshmi.Kurpse 2010-08-23 13:34:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Malekith said:

Really if you're being strict, DRG is a pet job because they have a little blue rat that pokes enemies while engaged. However being engaged is the key difference between DRG and the other 3 jobs mentioned. If the DRG is not attacking, then neither is the wyvern.

A SMN, BST, or PUP on the other hand can sic their little buddy on whatever their owner has targeted. The owners can sit back out of harms way.

So when you see a Pet burn, this is why DRG's are left out. Nothing personal it's just a matter of tactics...

I agree, I was in a pet LS for a few months, main job roles were BST SMN and PUP. We done Sky and a HNM every now and then, but I guess the reason they didnt accept DRG is because when your fighting say Kirin Avatars are dispensable. I could just summon Diabolos and throw him at Kirin and not have to worry about him, if he dies resummon and send him at him again. A DRG needs to fight for its wyvern too also fight, and if you go down its 150MP to get you back up again, then DRG's also need to be cured where as Avatars don't. So in a way a DRG can be a liability in events like that. :(
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-08-23 13:36:07
Link | Quote | Reply

yes, it is a pet job.
 Ramuh.Mizuharu
Server: Ramuh
user: Mizuharu
By Ramuh.Mizuharu 2010-08-23 13:37:42
Link | Quote | Reply

DRG is a pet job; trust me. DRG SMN BST PUP all 80 and climbing (when the level cap does). Main thing is, all the pets are different...

/petgeekmode on

The automaton has a 20min timer, much like your wyvren. It, however, can fill a vast amount of roles; Healer, melee, ranged and magic DD. The down side to this is that it really will only use what it's AI tells it to unless you pop the right maneuver; which you can overload and screw with the AI. It's very reliable for the most part though. Only attacks what you tell it to attack. Thing is, if you rest, it also rest thus canceling the auto attack on what you deployed it on.

BST charmed pets and jug pets are normally meant to tank for the BST while they apply extra damage or stay out of range (should it be a monster that calls for such a situation.) The pet will keep attacking even if you rest, unlike the Automaton/Wyvren. However, should another monster link with your main target (providing it generates enough hate on the pet), the pet will switch to that target. It can be annoying for if you tell your pet to attack, then another monster uses an AoE and your pet smacks it. Also, you got the chance of mischarms. Try that on a group of leeches... Not so fun to deal with.

SMN avatars main AI program is "protect the SMN". You aggro, they attack. However, some people can admit that can be problematic (goldfish in sea for example.) Though they won't stay out unless you have the MP, meaning well... you're basicly boned when your MP dries up. >.>

DRG's Wyvren has a "mimic" AI program (since it's considered a child wyvren; won't do anything unless the adult is doing something). You attack, it attacks the same thing. You cast a spell at the right HP, it cures you. You use a WS, it uses a breath attack. So, technically, since you do have to do certain actions for your wyvren to do it's thing, you kind of can tell it what to do... In that sense of course.

/petgeekmode off

Sorry about that, figured I'd just explain all that >_> But I do agree with the above that DRG for a pet burn isn't that great due to the limitations on the commands and how you have to issue them.
[+]
 Phoenix.Degs
Server: Phoenix
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2010-08-23 13:38:39
Link | Quote | Reply

i dont see to many drgs in pet ls's though.... but meh, w/e. they still are a pet job, even though they dont have the versitility of the other pet jobs.
 Ramuh.Mizuharu
By Ramuh.Mizuharu 2010-08-23 13:43:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Degs said:
i dont see to many drgs in pet ls's though.... but meh, w/e. they still are a pet job, even though they dont have the versitility of the other pet jobs.

Regardless, you're not going to see a DRG soloing without their wyvren (unless it just died ; ;) just as you're not going to see a SMN soloing without an avatar.
 Quetzalcoatl.Natlow
user: Natlow
By Quetzalcoatl.Natlow 2010-08-23 13:45:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Not really. As a dragoon, most of your damage will be provided by you, rather than your wyvern (or at least I really hope it is, if not, there's some serious cause for concern)

Whereas with a summoner most if not all of it's damage will come from the avatar. I don't know enough about beastmaster to properly comment, but I know there's a heavy reliance on the pet again.

That being said, sure you have interactions with your wyvern (although somewhat minimal) but it's really not the same as a pet job.
 Sylph.Nemy
Server: Sylph
user: Nemy
By Sylph.Nemy 2010-08-23 13:47:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought about drg when thinking about recruiting but decided it doesnt really fit in as a true pet job.

Yes it does have a pet but really doesnt have any control unless the drg is fighting along side it. It wouldnt be so bad in certain situations but when it comes to anything with AoE the drg is stuck on the outside looking in while free roaming pets can be sent in to get the job done.

Lakshmi.Kurpse
user: Kurpse
By Lakshmi.Kurpse 2010-08-23 13:48:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Hell the reason why you invite a DRG to a party is to F**k ***up. :D
[+]
 Ramuh.Mizuharu
By Ramuh.Mizuharu 2010-08-23 13:52:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Natlow said:
Not really. As a dragoon, most of your damage will be provided by you, rather than your wyvern (or at least I really hope it is, if not, there's some serious cause for concern)

Whereas with a summoner most if not all of it's damage will come from the avatar. I don't know enough about beastmaster to properly comment, but I know there's a heavy reliance on the pet again.

That being said, sure you have interactions with your wyvern (although somewhat minimal) but it's really not the same as a pet job.

Not all the pet jobs are the same (see my first post made). In any given situation, yes. You're the main DD (and like you said, if it's reverse... Well then.) If anything, DRG is much like PUP. During solo play (for the most part), they're going to have their pet on a healer type. In party, it can be healer type while applying damage, or it can just be flat out damage. Granted, the automaton does more damage than the Wyvren due to the weapon skills it has access to.

But again, due to limitations in how we give commands to our wyvrens and how much damage the wyvren does per hit, it isn't an ideal pet job for say Kirin or something you wouldn't want to throw normal players at.
 Bismarck.Tuvae
Server: Bismarck
user: Tuv
By Bismarck.Tuvae 2010-08-23 14:02:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Its not a pet, its a companion.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-08-23 14:03:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Tuvae said:
this isnt Match.com
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-23 14:05:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I see it as a pet. You have limited control over it, but it is a separate entity.
 Bismarck.Tuvae
Server: Bismarck
user: Tuv
By Bismarck.Tuvae 2010-08-23 14:05:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Bismarck.Tuvae said:
this isnt Match.com

Then why are you here?
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-08-23 14:06:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Tuvae said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Bismarck.Tuvae said:
this isnt Match.com

Then why are you here?
boredom
 Ramuh.Mizuharu
By Ramuh.Mizuharu 2010-08-23 14:08:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Tuvae said:

My companions don't like to attack things with their mouths >.> It's a pet.

And this whole thing is pointless! Just look at your wyvren! Look at it! It's ADORABLE! WHY MUST YOU QUESTION WHAT THIS ADORABLE CREATURE IS?!

Really wish I saw this sooner...
Caitsith.Linear said:
That's not direct control. It's indirect, and the fact I have to WS to make it do more damage is a liability. If I take hate on anything big, I'm going to be hit and it's going to hurt like a ***.

1) You seriously can't take a hit? Like, really? Fine. Super Jump. >.> The breath attack still goes off and you BOTH avoid damage (for a while).
2) Super Jump down? Seigan + Third Eye!
3) Not /sam? Shadows.
4) Not /nin? Then I hope you're subbing a mage job...
5) Not subbing a mage job?! ... People do DRG/WAR still for "anything big"?
 Caitsith.Linear
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-08-23 14:17:27
Link | Quote | Reply

No, but Claw Cyclone, Deadly Hold, Triple Attacks, Double Attacks, Heavy Blow, Tortoise Stomp, Critical Hits, Fang Rush etc hit extremely hard and will severely damage you, if not outright kill you before you know you have hate.
First Page 2 3 4