First Page 2
 Cerberus.Vraelia
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Vraelia
By Cerberus.Vraelia 2010-08-12 06:32:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi Cerberus,

I just leveled my NIN as a subjob for my RDM. Is there any specific gear that is required of my RDM to have for it to be both tank/DD?

(And please, don't post stupid ***. lol I am wanting an honest answer here) :)
[+]
 Valefor.Argettio
Server: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-08-12 07:00:15
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM Tanking is dead.

They killed it by nerfing the enmity on sleep/blind/dispel.

As for a DD, that's a bigger can of worms, generally for a RDM DD you would /DRG or /WAR.

But generally speaking something like for RDM/DRG:

ToTM OAT sword/Sentient//Sting
Turban/PCC/Brutal/Wyvern
Morri/Dusk/Rajas/Sniper+1
Foragers/Vbelt/ASA haste + acc/dusk

RDM/WAR is the same except swap Morri body with Goliard saio and wyvern with hollow

RDM/NIN is the same except you could main hand a ToTM STR/ATT sword I guess.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-12 11:16:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Use Sanguine blade to DD!
 Hades.Eliane
Server: Hades
user: Eliane
By Hades.Eliane 2010-08-12 11:22:45
Link | Quote | Reply

No more RDM tanking made me sad panda...
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-12 11:33:10
Link | Quote | Reply

You can still get CE by spamming enspell2!!!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Holyman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Holyman
By Ragnarok.Holyman 2010-08-12 11:48:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
You can still get CE by spamming enspell2!!!

Waste of MP & not near good as old dispel/sleep/bind/blind hate.

You gain 80 C.E/ 240 V.E for 24 MP/cast , old Dispel was 320 C.E/640 V.E "iirc" for 25 MP/cast , difference is huge D: , so yeah pretty much dead , unless you're tanking with SMNs as DDs .
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-12 11:50:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Of course it isn't as good. I was being sarcastic as it is the only source of CE outside of cures and dmg. Oh and you can tank with bst pets as DDs or blus regurgitating too.

Possibly if you can make a good sanguine blade spam build and lots of cure cheats. Would tank almost like a pld... without flash or jas but still has alot more mp to use and stoneskin etc
[+]
 Sylph.Ashaaman
Server: Sylph
user: Ashaaman
By Sylph.Ashaaman 2010-08-12 12:00:59
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not efficient really, but rdm/nin can spam ichi spells for hate. The ones that actually give decent hate, names escape me right now.
 Cerberus.Eugene
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2010-08-12 12:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asking if rdm could DD and tank at the same time is a question that is obvious to any rdm who has tanked in the past, and therefore an invitation to trolling :p. However I will try and answer with some dignity.

They don't give efficient hate. There's one guy on bg who claims he's able to build hate with a combination of full blown spamming of hojo/kuryami/jubaku, plus cure cheating; but even if it is possible:

1) it will become harder to do as level cap increase because curing will generate lower and lower levels of hate as dd do higher and higher levels of dmg.

2) eliminates anything that was useful about rdm gear wise in the first place since you have to fulltime full haste/enmity/fastcast gear; you can no longer fulltime terra's staff, nor refresh gear, or any other form of dmg mitigation really.

I responded why he was wrong, he told me no he did it and it was possible and pretty much the thread went dead again at that point.

Even with +30 enmity ichi spam will barely outweigh shadow loss from a slow attacking mob. Cures are only way to generate ce beyond that, and are not mp efficient, nor effective at all really. Once you start taking dmg, theres really no realistic way of saying you can maintain ce with cures and ichi spam alone. If you take minimal dmg during a fight maybe, but otherwise..

Your time would be better served trying to solo nms with that ninja sub, or leveling a dd or tank job to 80.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-12 13:23:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually while yes you are getting less hate per hp cured as lvls go up you are curing more.

And while others might be doing more dmg they are getting less hate per dmg dealt.

I mean plds kept hate before atonement and they couldn't cure cheat nearly as well and flash isn't that good. It's not impossible just takes more time and is harder
 Cerberus.Vraelia
user: Vraelia
By Cerberus.Vraelia 2010-08-12 13:47:13
Link | Quote | Reply

So far, thank you all for the replies that you have given me. but, what type of gear would you use? lol
 Cerberus.Billgoku
user: Billgoku
By Cerberus.Billgoku 2010-08-12 13:50:34
Link | Quote | Reply

So that's why you were leveling ninja that night...you need to free up space if you're asking what other gear you should use. :P

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Pandemonium.Scrumpet
Server: Pandemonium
user: Scrumpet
By Pandemonium.Scrumpet 2010-08-12 13:54:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Deadwing said:
If you're going to be tanking you'll need to sub nin or *maybe* sub blu. If you're going to be dd'ing for hate you'll need to have another sub job warrior or drk. I don't think you can do both at the same time period and you can't do ether very well. If you're really crazy about rdm tanking and you have a mule there is still a theoretical way to hold hate i can PM you if you care.

So this is how I get my Deadwing out of hiding?! '-')b
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-12 13:54:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't bother PMing, I'll say it right here: Get a level ~11 SMN mule with some ***like Cassie Earring and Astral Ring to work out a cure cheat. Get them on the hate list, then spam cures on it.

Then cry as your only "efficient" method of gaining hate eats an AoE and dies. Not to mention they can't enter Abyssea.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2010-08-12 15:14:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I've considered using lower level chars to boost hate but generally I need my alt on brd for buffs.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-08-12 15:30:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Argettio said:
RDM Tanking is dead.

They killed it by nerfing the enmity on sleep/blind/dispel.

As for a DD, that's a bigger can of worms, generally for a RDM DD you would /DRG or /WAR.

But generally speaking something like for RDM/DRG:

ToTM OAT sword/Sentient//Sting
Turban/PCC/Brutal/Wyvern
Morri/Dusk/Rajas/Sniper+1
Foragers/Vbelt/ASA haste + acc/dusk

RDM/WAR is the same except swap Morri body with Goliard saio and wyvern with hollow

RDM/NIN is the same except you could main hand a ToTM STR/ATT sword I guess.
I don't understand why anyone rated Argettio down. Everything he said is 100% correct.
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2010-08-13 00:50:32
Link | Quote | Reply

because the gear is ridiculously specific for a lol dd job. you should have other gear for mage focus. if you take this as a dd job theres a problem.

vraelia if you don't understand the concepts of rdm tanking now i suggest you stop. its expensive and difficult to build, i still have expensive rdm tank gear on the ah months after i started selling it. but if you insist by all means you can buy mine. as the dude who still managed it said it requires about as much fast cast as you can obtain, along with haste and enmity.

if at all possible now its boring and difficult at the same time. intense spam with losing all the benefits of having a rdm tank.

Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2010-08-13 00:53:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Don't bother PMing, I'll say it right here: Get a level ~11 SMN mule with some ***like Cassie Earring and Astral Ring to work out a cure cheat. Get them on the hate list, then spam cures on it.

Then cry as your only "efficient" method of gaining hate eats an AoE and dies. Not to mention they can't enter Abyssea.

not to mention you need to keep it in range of mob to allow for hate gain which is something like 22 distance, and keep it out of range of all aoe lol
 Cerberus.Mindi
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2010-08-13 01:28:56
Link | Quote | Reply

i honestly dont think he want to tank something big looking at his profile, i guess he mean "tanking" in the way when he DD a mob and has hate..?
and honstly look at his current gear... he has a Fang Necklace so Argettio's Gear he posted is for sure good if you DD on RDM but nothing in reach for this RDM asking for advice^^

Vraelia depend what you want to DD you should mainly focus on Haste > Acc > Att for DDing. Like.. you wont really need STR+3 rings to DD
You have Goliard Clogs so you could try to get Goliard body and pair it with a Walhara Turban, Dusk Gloves and a Swift Belt for more haste.
You can get a Chivalrous Chain (can be obtained from Assault Points or buy) for Neck or a Peacock Charm (can also get luck on the BCNM). Sniper ring or Woodsmans Ring.
Amemet Mantle+1 is also better for TP then a Smilodon Mantle +1.
Just some things to start with..
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-13 01:35:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Eugene said:
not to mention, if at all possible now its boring and difficult at the same time. intense spam with losing all the benefits of having a rdm tank.
Seriously... We had a RDM offtanking for lack of anything else to do when we killed Mictlantecuhtli tonight and the only action he got was when I ate a Drain. I was barely working to keep hate (BLU/NIN) and he still couldn't keep up.

Was fun though, I don't get to tank often XD
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2010-08-13 02:41:52
Link | Quote | Reply

mic needs tanks? he's easier than nq cuz icespikes lol
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-13 02:45:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Well to be fair blu is a hate machine.

But keeping someone low lvl close enough to cure and get hate but be out of AOE range does allow for some rather rediculous amounts of hate to be generated. Obviously can't be used on mobs that have AOEs decently greater than 20' but other than that...

And yeah being able to consistenly lose hp and have enough to cure can be a bit of a pain to but doable.

Like get a lvl 10 go down with a couple of astrals then go up with a cassie and rdm could cure II you for 200 CE and 1200 VE for 24 mp. Higher lvls the ratio wont be as good but will be able to do more hp too
 Valefor.Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-08-13 03:19:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Eugene said:
because the gear is ridiculously specific for a lol dd job. you should have other gear for mage focus.

WOW, I am so sorry for answering the OPs question and not just screamed "RDM is not a DD!!!1111one!1".

As for the gear; if you have a DD leveled then you would be aspiring to get most of that stuff (or already have it) and it all has sensible down grades.

I never advocated using the gear, in fact I was never a support of melee RDM (except in campaign).
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-13 03:21:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Just you wait and see what good Sanguine Blade builds can do!!!
 Valefor.Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-08-13 03:27:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Just you wait and see what good Sanguine Blade builds can do!!!

Am I right in assuming that Sanguine is purely magical WS therefore Base D doesn't affect damage?

If so, that could be pretty awesome when combined with ToTM OA2-3 and decent TP set.
 Cerberus.Irohuro
user: Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2010-08-13 03:31:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Mictlantecuhtli

gesundheit =)
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-13 03:31:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Indeed. Though it uses dint instead of fint so kinda weird and is factored before ftp unlike normal magical ws. So far the formula that so far has always worked for me is.

day/weather*MAB/MDB*ftp*(dint + lvl + 2 + wsc).

With ftp being 2.0 wsc being 30% str 50% mnd and according to someone on BG and so far it seems to work alpha is .85 at 80.

Broke 1k on blu... but my rdm can't use it. Plus I had to mostly use errant gear since I don't have morri/yigit. -str is ewww. Though that was /blm using memento mori and enervation and using on a 1 int mob (well it had 6 but I gave it -9 to put it at 1). I get more like 400-700 on eps without doing buffs and debuffs like that. Despite lots of int stacking dark type mobs resist heavely. Yes even bats lol

I was thinking 2-3 + -15 magic def one... and as you can see others can help your dmg a bit possibly allowing a sorta SB spam styled tanking. But you HAVE to gear for it and well. But you also get half the dmg in hp back.
 Valefor.Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-08-13 03:39:40
Link | Quote | Reply

30% STR, 50% MND, dINT check and MAB multiplier

Sounds like a job for 5/5 Morrigans!

Edit: got ninja edited.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-13 03:45:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah. That reminds I really need to start on that -magic def swd. If it procs on hard stuff it should be already stronger than enervation and help a bit.

Should be a good place holder for melee DD blu until they find Tyrfing
First Page 2