Future Trial Of The Magians Speculations

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Magian Trials » Future Trial of the Magians speculations
Future Trial of the Magians speculations
First Page 2 3
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-08-11 11:31:23
Link | Quote | Reply

With the next phase of the Abyssea line of updates coming, what do you all think they might add into the Magian Trials? Will they continue the Weapons trend, or will they add old content armor into the mix as well as upgraded weapons (i.e., will future perseverance into events like Limbus and Salvage still be relevant to the game through Magian Enhancements)?

Let's talk about it here, fellas.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-08-11 11:35:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Well they're increasing level cap to 90, so yeah, you can guarantee that there'll be more weapon trials. They've also been talking about armour upgrades, whether or not they'll come from this update or not I don't know, but considering how close a lot of the new gear has come to Salvage quality, I'm assuming they will.

/sigh

I'm going to have to actually start doing some trials properly...
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-08-11 11:40:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm of the opinion that they actually mix in the current content endgame gear into the mix this time as well as, but I get the feeling they're not going to keep their word, which will leave the hardcore crowd very unhappy.

Meaning, it would seem that Trial of the Magians is very focused in the weapons department and no actual premise into upgrading armor. I'm praying with all the endgame content still out there, there will still be a reason to do more than just Abyssea. That's part of why I still play this game: there's a LOT of endgame content to do.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-11 11:42:16
Link | Quote | Reply

They already said they would do armor. It's just that they were doing weapons first. This was put out at the same time they first announced trial of the magians
[+]
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-08-11 11:43:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Man, that would be awesome if that's what they were doing all along. I'd love to be able to get some Homam and upgrade it.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-11 11:46:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Well they didn't said you could upgrade old stuff outside of relics/mythics...

Though I think something was mentioned about it after I forget
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-08-11 11:47:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Wonder what the trials will be like for upgrading armour. Adding STR to homam: Get hit by fire IV while the armour is equipped 300 times.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-11 11:48:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
Wonder what the trials will be like for upgrading armour. Adding STR to homam: Get hit by fire IV while the armour is equipped 300 times.
Fire IV killshots of at least 900 dmg On waterday/weather on you
[+]
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-08-11 11:48:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:

where was this said? relic armor can be upgraded already as is, so that rules Dynamis armor out.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-11 11:51:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Quetzacoatl said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
where was this said?
I think the orginal fanfest was where the first magian info came out. Supposedly there was 5 categories. Weapons, armor, mythic/relic, life skills or something, and I think something that sounded like merits. There has been further info.

Can't be sure but I think they made more mention about armors more recently... might have been some of those premeire site Q&As
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-08-11 11:54:29
Link | Quote | Reply

If they're even thinking of trying to make us upgrade Perle armor and the like, I'll want to slap them across the face.

and here's one of those Developer Q&As
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Developer_Q%26A:_Trial_of_the_Magians
 Leviathan.Joyroth
By Leviathan.Joyroth 2010-08-11 11:56:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:

What if SE decided to upgrade Byakko's Haidate o.O
 Lakshmi.Jaguarx
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaguarx
By Lakshmi.Jaguarx 2010-08-11 11:58:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Awesome! So now you have to spend 2 years waiting for that 35 piece to drop in salvage, spend 12 million gil, AND take "300 Fire IV killshots of at least 900 dmg On waterday/weather on you."

This game just get's more and more "fun."

Glad I quit.

>.>
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-08-11 11:59:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Joyroth said:
Odin.Blazza said:

What if SE decided to upgrade Byakko's Haidate o.O
Osode set I'd PROBABLY see happening in accompaniment.
 Asura.Rule
Server: Asura
user: Rule
By Asura.Rule 2010-08-11 12:00:21
Link | Quote | Reply

i would like to see them give us trials for the abj gear like koenig, zenith, shura, crimson, etc...
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-08-11 12:00:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaguarx said:
Awesome! So now you have to spend 2 years waiting for that 35 piece to drop in salvage, spend 12 million gil, AND take "300 Fire IV killshots of at least 900 dmg On waterday/weather on you."

Glad I quit.

>.>
I wouldn't take the exaggerations seriously until they're actually in existence :P
[+]
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-08-11 12:01:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Rule said:
i would like to see them give us trials for the abj gear like koenig, zenith, shura, crimson, etc...
If they can surpass the +1 versions, that would be interesting to see.
 Leviathan.Joyroth
By Leviathan.Joyroth 2010-08-11 12:01:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Hell I wonder what kind of new armor sets will be available at 99. Since AF/Relic armor can already be upgraded, is SE planning on a release of Lv.99 JSE?
 Lakshmi.Jaguarx
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaguarx
By Lakshmi.Jaguarx 2010-08-11 12:04:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaguarx said:

Glad I quit.

>.>
I wouldn't take the exaggerations seriously until they're actually in existence :P

I don't think its an exaggeration really considering the current relic trials there are now.

Let me put it this way, imagine barely starting a relic when the level cap is 99.

enough said....
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-08-11 12:09:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think any abjuration stuff will be implemented simply because of the NQ/HQ variations. Someone that got NQ w.legs 5 years ago because HQ wasn't really better in any way could then be penalised for that by only being able to get fast cast +2 instead of +3 (or w/e).

Relic armour also I doubt, because then what happens if you upgrade it through TotM, and then get the -1? Plus, there'll be AF3 anyway.
 Fenrir.Mtmoogle
Server: Fenrir
user: Bogamoga
By Fenrir.Mtmoogle 2010-08-11 12:09:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ebody and Mbody upgrade trial:
Get hit by 100 Spike Flails...
[+]
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-08-11 12:10:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaguarx said:
Lakshmi.Jaguarx said:

Glad I quit.

>.>

I don't think its an exaggeration really considering the current relic trials there are now.

To be honest, it's fitting for the relic holders. They were willing to do the work to get a relic weapon, so they shouldn't expect any less. Technically speaking though, the trials ARE less work compared to building a relic.
[+]
 Fenrir.Mtmoogle
Server: Fenrir
user: Bogamoga
By Fenrir.Mtmoogle 2010-08-11 12:16:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Safest relic to get now is Aegis. When getting a relic you want it to be the best weapon for that job, not the best weapon for the job AFTER killing 5000mobs at certain times.
[+]
 Leviathan.Joyroth
By Leviathan.Joyroth 2010-08-11 12:17:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Perhaps AF3 will require some set trials and some materials for upgrading.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-08-11 12:20:44
Link | Quote | Reply

If they're even thinking of trying to make us upgrade Perle armor and the like, I'll want to slap them across the face.

While system and game balance concerns make it unrealistic to allow all existing equipment to be augmented through Trial of the Magians, we intend to expand the system in such a way that players' most precious acquisitions can stay fit for active use long after the level cap has been increased.

SE and the players have totally different ideas on what precious acquisitions are. Perle is just a nice stepping stone until homam. I wouldn't want to have to upgrade perle, that would just be sad.
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-08-11 12:20:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
I don't think any abjuration stuff will be implemented simply because of the NQ/HQ variations. Someone that got NQ w.legs 5 years ago because HQ wasn't really better in any way could then be penalised for that by only being able to get fast cast +2 instead of +3 (or w/e).

Relic armour also I doubt, because then what happens if you upgrade it through TotM, and then get the -1? Plus, there'll be AF3 anyway.
Exactly why I omitted Abjuration and Dynamis for Trial of the Magians. It has to be something that can't be crafted or have +1 options already available.
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-08-11 12:30:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said:

While system and game balance concerns make it unrealistic to allow all existing equipment to be augmented through Trial of the Magians, we intend to expand the system in such a way that players' most precious acquisitions can stay fit for active use long after the level cap has been increased.

SE and the players have totally different ideas on what precious acquisitions are. Perle is just a nice stepping stone until homam. I wouldn't want to have to upgrade perle, that would just be sad.

Well, whatever SE's consensus is, they better have gathered what people thought from all corners of the FFXI community and not just places like Alla.

*** BG though, their discussion forums are like FOX News. inb4ratedown
[+]
 Asura.Isiolia
Server: Asura
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2010-08-11 12:33:41
Link | Quote | Reply

To be honest, it's fitting for the relic holders. They were willing to do the work to get a relic weapon, so they shouldn't expect any less. Technically speaking though, the trials ARE less work compared to building a relic.

I disagree. Not that I own a Relic or Mythic anyway, but to me, they already put in a lot of work to get the basic 75 weapon. A hell of a lot more than clicking a crate in Jeuno and saying "yeah, that one". The trials to keep their (often) years of existing effort still "the best" should be a token effort at most.

The "start from zero" Magian quests should rightfully be the ones that take the most work. Not the ones that are there to upgrade something that already took a good bit of effort to get.
Quote:

Well, another way to look at it would be that they might offer upgrade paths for both, with cruor gear being the equivalent of the base weapons out o' the crate.
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-08-11 12:42:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Isiolia said:
I disagree. Not that I own a Relic or Mythic anyway, but to me, they already put in a lot of work to get the basic 75 weapon. A hell of a lot more than clicking a crate in Jeuno and saying "yeah, that one". The trials to keep their (often) years of existing effort still "the best" should be a token effort at most.

The "start from zero" Magian quests should rightfully be the ones that take the most work. Not the ones that are there to upgrade something that already took a good bit of effort to get.

This is true. Although, I guess the way I look at it is after that, most of the time those players have nothing else to do in the game except perhaps build another Relic weapon. While yes, it is kind of a stab in the back to set new tasks upon them, it gives them something new to do.
Quote:
Well, another way to look at it would be that they might offer upgrade paths for both, with cruor gear being the equivalent of the base weapons out o' the crate.

That would still create favoritism towards the Cruor gear, given how competitive it already is towards gear we've fought long and hard for. I honestly wouldn't agree with it if SE's trying to give the hardcore players a reason to keep the gear they've gotten over the course of the years.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2010-08-11 12:50:24
Link | Quote | Reply

As already mentioned before, gear that has taken players a long time to acquire need trials to make them competitive with future updates. I agree with this entirely.

Something I would like to see are HQ crafting items that have gone obsolete because of gear introduced with the level cap increase. Some of these players have worked long and hard to get their craft up to 100, only to watch it get shot down thanks to new gear introduced in this update that make their crafting obsolete. Somethings that come to mind are HQ elemental staves that have become obsolete thanks to TotM staves, or gear like haubergeon +1s that will most likely go obsolete in the near future with the level cap increase to 90. Yes, there will most likely by high level synergy recipes that will occur in the future, but that will most likely require several players with 100 crafts to make. Individual crafters are probably feeling the market shrink already thanks to the level 80 cap increase.

Probably my wishful thinking, honestly, but it would be nice to see =p
[+]
First Page 2 3