Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » Sorcerer's Ring Convert HP/MP
Sorcerer's Ring Convert HP/MP
 Phoenix.Kailynn
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Kailynn
By Phoenix.Kailynn 2010-07-28 10:15:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I hear people talk a lot about macroing in convert hp/mp gear to get this ring to proc.

I tried reading the discussion on ffxiclopedia and that didn't help me.

Is this one of those items that takes the latent effect at the beginning of the cast rather than the end.

1. Wear all the convert hp/mp gear
2. Start Cast
3. Equip INT/MAB/MAC gear

???
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-28 10:18:49
Link | Quote | Reply

This like most things takes effect at the end.

Hell even fast cast partly takes place at the end. It's just the faster casting part can't take place at the end because well the spell is already done.

Before I went to spellcast I'd just stay low and use my convert maccro when I noticed some idiot cured me.

Now with spellcast it auto changes during midcast if I'm too high then switches to dmg gear right after. Assuming it doesn't botch it like it sometimes does
 Lakshmi.Toioiz
Server: Lakshmi
user: Toioiz
By Lakshmi.Toioiz 2010-07-28 10:19:33
Link | Quote | Reply

It takes affect at the end of the cast, but your example would work fine, since the -HP gear, would then leave you with a lot of un-filled HP.
 Sylph.Lotusbluete
Server: Sylph
user: Katniss
By Sylph.Lotusbluete 2010-07-28 10:20:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope.

Thats what I do:

I equip following stuff:

Full Zenith Set
Morgana's Choker
Aslan Cape

Then i switch back to my nuking gear and will be in yellow HP which triggers Sorc ring. Then i choose my spell manually.
 Pandemonium.Rtwodeetoo
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Rtwodeetoo 2010-07-28 10:22:03
Link | Quote | Reply

No I change to HP to MP gear and then switch back to nuking gear and nuke away until you need to rest. No need to go on latent gear in the middle of the casting.
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-07-28 10:27:52
Link | Quote | Reply

At Hume BLM75/RDM37 I would rest full MP then swap to this set:

then swap back to my standing set:

I believe that would leave me at 708HP and within the latent of the ring. Unless you are /WHM or someone cures you then you should only have to "HP Down" once until you rest MP again.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-28 10:27:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I kinda like doing convert gear mid cast now. It's so much harder for people to cure me up and mess with it now unless they super on top of curing me. Which unfortunately my npc is lol
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-28 10:29:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
Unless you are /WHM or someone cures you then you should only have to "HP Down" once until you rest MP again.
Or drain...

And people are dumb expect to get cured. I've litterally had a rdm back to back cure IV me 5 times before any fighting even started before he realized I didn't have a 200/tic poison on or something.

But that's not as bad as brds that like to paeon since can't take that ***off
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-07-28 10:32:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, you can only hope the ignorant people will learn after you tell them 4-5 times to stop curing you... Either that or just sit back and enjoy watching them waste their MP and be stumped why your HP keeps going down.

Probably the best advice is to wear something that always has HP->MP when idle so you are in the 75% latent area but your HP is still white because of the HP->MP. That usually prevents the OCD WHMs from cure spamming you. Usually.
 Sylph.Lotusbluete
By Sylph.Lotusbluete 2010-07-28 10:34:13
Link | Quote | Reply

idc how often and if ppl cure me... i got a macro for my -HP set, so i'm yellow hp again within 1 second :P

Edit: i admit its annoying to see that ppl dont listen to you when you tell them you need yellow hp for latent. ignorance = fail.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-28 10:34:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah it's really bad in namis. Cause once you finally get it thru to one person someone else steps up to "pick up the slack"

The funny thing is in the end I can probably count the number of times curing me on blm has actually saved me when I would've died without it on 1 maybe 2 hands
 Ramuh.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-07-28 10:38:20
Link | Quote | Reply

bifrost ring is a nice addition to the latent sets, no?
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-07-28 10:39:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I would rather have them let me die in Dynamis and save their MP for the tanks and DD. As sad as it is BLM are pretty much "expected" to die in that event anyway. But yeah it got bad enough that I eventually had to /blockaid on during those events lol
Ramuh.Krizz said:

Looks like it would save me one slot on the strap + serket ring or something. Although with the levels at 80 not sure how my current setup would be if I played again ;)
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
Server: Carbuncle
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-07-28 10:40:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's what I do, as a Taru, Lv. 80 BLM/RDM. I manage to keep my HP in WHITE while proc'ing Sorc Ring, so I don't have to get any cures. Plus, spellcast automatically macros it in before nukes so even if I did get cured, I'd be fine. Anyway, here:

===Idle===
HP: 765/765
MP:1070/1070

Then, I do the following:

<set name="MinusHP" BaseSet="Idle">
<ammo>Tiphia Sting</ammo>
<head>Zenith Crown</head>
<neck>Star Necklace</neck>
<body>remove</body>
<waist>Penitent's Rope</waist>
<legs>remove</legs>
<feet>Mahatma Pigaches</feet>
<back>remove</back>
</set>

===Minus HP===

HP: 630/630
MP: 1059/1077

And then I swap into my nuke gear:

===Sorc Ring Nuke===

HP: 630/810 (77%, White HP)
MP: 1015/1039

I realize it says I had 77% HP (white), in my nuking set, that is correct. Convert HP to MP gear equipped DURING nuking will not count towards the proc. I use Zenith Mitts during nukes, so to check if sorc would be proc'ing, I take them off and:

HP: 630/860 (73%, Yellow HP, Viola!)
MP: 969/969
[+]
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-07-28 10:44:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh also, the reason I remove some pieces like Back, Body, Legs is because I use the HP+ on them to proc the latent too. As you can see, Teal Saio HP+24, Teal Slops HP+14, Prism Cape HP+10. Does the trick, and saves me some inventory.
 Sylph.Lotusbluete
By Sylph.Lotusbluete 2010-07-28 10:46:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Virtuosus said:
Oh also, the reason I remove some pieces like Back, Body, Legs is because I use the HP+ on them to proc the latent too. As you can see, Teal Saio HP+24, Teal Slops HP+14, Prism Cape HP+10. Does the trick, and saves me some inventory.

yea, thats what im doing on whm... i cant get latent for medicine ring w/o doing that :P

Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-28 10:51:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
Not sure if it would reduce the number of peices I need and well none of the ones I have that I can sell are worth much anymore anyways. But probalby awesome for those lol galka blms
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-07-28 10:54:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually looking over it again, the fact that I have 73% HP without Zenith Mitts in my nuking set, I think I'm going overboard with the Star Necklace and it's probably wasting an inventory space, glad this popped up or I wouldn't have spotted that.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-28 10:57:20
Link | Quote | Reply

This thread actually reminds me to refind my latent hp and update my spellcast for it
 Fairy.Basilo
Server: Fairy
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-07-31 17:35:44
Link | Quote | Reply

1016 naked hume BLM/RDM no hp merits, remember sj rdm will cover hp needed to be taken away with sj whm and sj sch too...

762 my set atm drops me to 756, ideally I need it close so it keeps white HP just off ixion cape but with updates otw to increase cap further Ive not bothered to work on it to be so exact, this is also hard to do in nukes using af2 belt +20hp.

I just tried with 762 seems to keep me white hp with obi but not sorc belt, 763 seems to also proc sorc ring though... at same time not make me yellow hp with af2 belt this could be golden number now at 80 if any hume blm can confirm this.
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-07-31 17:51:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Need further testing 766 seems to work too...

766/1016 = 0.7539

756 hp nuke 1288 blizz4 no waist equipped no hp+/- gear no uggy or weather bonus same gear as ...

766 hp nuke 1288 dmg also,

Ok so 766 is the number which will only put u in yellow hp when nuking with hecate cape and af2 belt as hume blm/rdm with no hp merits and always have sorc ring working unless you wear penitents rope i believe as the -20hp has an effect towards ring working.

For 766 hp its simply :

zenith crown + mitts + slacks + serket ring + rpumps.

I was using morgana choker in place of pumps till i just did testing I never bothered doing till now.
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
Server: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2010-07-31 18:09:37
Link | Quote | Reply

i use this set

nice 800ish HP latent due to 8/8 HP+ merits
still hit yellow as BLM80 without changing a thing
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-08-04 21:26:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Zagen said:
Why not just use this
Because you would have to wait a minimum of 2 hours to activate both -15% HP latents.
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-08-04 21:28:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Lemme guess he suggested a ring from the trial avatar fights? lol
 Bismarck.Zagen
Server: Bismarck
user: Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2010-08-04 21:28:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Just realized the -HP was after the day part :/
 Fenrir.Xxak
Server: Fenrir
user: Xxak
By Fenrir.Xxak 2010-08-05 09:48:02
Link | Quote | Reply

In order to proc Sorcerer's Ring you need to be at or below 0.759% of your total HPs while in nuking gear, not including any gear that has convert HP to MP.

If you want to see if a certain combination works, put on your nuking gear. Remove anything with HP -> MP on it, like Zenith mitts. Take your total HPs and multiply them by 0.759, dropping all decimals when done. As long as you can swap into gear that sets your HPs at or below that, you will be fine.

Example: You have 700 HPs in your nuking set, after taking off your Zenith mitts. You will need to be able to put your HP at or below 569 before your nuke goes off in order to proc Sorcerer's Ring.

Pretty simple, right? There are a few caveats.

One of them has been mentioned, which is that Converts HP -> MP gear doesn't affect your max HPs if worn during a nuke. If you wear Zenith, the game still sees your max HPs as being higher than what you actually see. This allows you to nuke in white HP and still trigger the ring... useful not only because idiots are less likely to cure spam you (tell them to suck less), but because there are a surprising number of mobs in game that aggro to low HPs, and from a very large range.

Second, gear with HP+% and food with HP+ or HP+% aren't counted towards your maximum HP. If you have 750 HP, and use a feed item that puts you at 900, the extra 150 HP aren't counted. If you are at 750 HP, and nuke in a pice of gear that adds HP+5%, putting you at 787, the extra 37 HP does not count. You still need to calculate your ring proc as if you had 750 max HP.

Third, and most f'ed up, is that any gear with HP+/- on it worn in the right ring or back slot during nuking will not be counted towards your Sorcerer's Ring proc. So say you have 750 max HP, and convert yourself down to 569. You then put on your nuking set, which includes Prism Cape. You are sitting at 579 HP, but the game doesn't see it, because for some reason the back slot just doesn't count. You get all the benefits of 4 INT, and all the benefits of nuking in 531 HP with the Sorcerer's Ring activated. Yet another way to stay in white HP.

That's a lot longer than I wanted it to be, but the little quirks can stump people. My advise to people who want to proc their ring as close to white HP as they can is the quest a Star Necklace, and not throw it away when they make changes to their Sorcerer's Ring latent set. It's helpful to be able to add in small amounts of HP down, as well as for testing in game to see if you are doing everything properly.
 Diabolos.Hupo
Server: Diabolos
user: Hupo
By Diabolos.Hupo 2010-08-14 17:04:23
Link | Quote | Reply

The best Guide i could find for this:

Itch's Sorcerer's Ring Guide.

A bit old, but still great help!
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2010-08-14 18:02:22
Link | Quote | Reply

After you get your set working as far as numbers go, test it. Test it a lot because a weather/day proc or a crit(provided you have crit gear such as witch sash) can mean the same damage increase as your ring proc will. So running outside and doing T1 nukes 10 times with and 10 times with out your ring on can help. Try to avoid nuking on day or weather, it will botch your results.

Paying attention to your numbers helps as well because situations change or you forget a bit of convert gear and your damage goes to hell. Don't just assume it works. SE really messed up on the programming for this ring so understanding what your damage should be vs what you land can help you. This is particularly true when using spellcast because it can do all kinds of weird things in certain situations that your tests may not uncover.
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2010-08-14 18:25:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
Yes, you can only hope the ignorant people will learn after you tell them 4-5 times to stop curing you... Either that or just sit back and enjoy watching them waste their MP and be stumped why your HP keeps going down.

Probably the best advice is to wear something that always has HP->MP when idle so you are in the 75% latent area but your HP is still white because of the HP->MP. That usually prevents the OCD WHMs from cure spamming you. Usually.

Wow, your white mages must be nuts. /comfort! I usually just say nicely at the start of events to please not cure me unless I am dying, and then it's fine. Unless they make me /whm. ><