First Page 2
 Phoenix.Joz
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: joz
By Phoenix.Joz 2010-07-28 04:35:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello everyone! :)

I'm interested in seeing everyone's gear sets for Stun, Drain and Aspir!

If possible could you also list the recast time for them?

I'm trying to lower my recast time on Stun by as much as possible. And trying to get a low recast on Drain/Aspir but also with Dark Magic Skill. They're fairly close @_@'

Stun:
Recast is about 36 seconds

Drain/Aspir

Thanks everyone!
 Gilgamesh.Samuraiking
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Samuraiking 2010-07-28 05:04:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Mmmmmm, if you really want the haste on stun, those pants are fine, but do not use them on drain/aspir. AF pants are much, much better with 15drk skill.

Otherwise that's about your average set. Unless you want to throw in a dark grip, the campaign book(ranged) and maybe the dark cape from sea, but that cape is fine for stun/lowering recast.

While knocking off a few seconds on aspir is nice, I find I'm usually casting or midrest when aspir is back up so it's detrimental to gear haste for me. I just go with max drk magic skill then macc. Any haste like turban is a bonus, though I prefer Nash head, body as well.

Edit: Bah you edited in the second set with pants while I typed.
[+]
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
Server: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2010-07-28 05:50:21
Link | Quote | Reply

for stun/aspir/drain i start casts in 5/5 teal
the 10% fastcast > r.pumps 2%
plus u can add loq in to precast as well for 12%fc + /rdm
plus your cape :o (i needs one!)

recast u could leave it all on maybe? lol

Phoenix.Joz
Server: Phoenix
user: joz
By Phoenix.Joz 2010-07-28 06:14:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Samuraiking, thanks for your response!

I don't have the cape from Sea or any other Nashira gear besides the leg piece. I don't see any of those items in the near future, sadly. :( But those are all items I'd like to get added in ~_~

Krazyrs, would you happen to know your recast times on these spells after casting? Also, have you seen this grip, "Vivid Strap"? Maybe that is something that would interest you? I just found it myself, lol
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-07-28 07:52:27
Link | Quote | Reply

This is the equip I use for Aspir/Drain:

recast in this set is 55 seconds.

I suppose I could find equipment to lower the recast time (W.Turban, Veela Cape), but I think Dark Magic Skill and INT/Magic Accuracy are the most important stats for landing potent un-resisted Aspir/Drains consistently. Worrying about recast is kinda useless if your Aspir/Drains are no good to begin with.
Good luck out there ^_^

[+]
 Leviathan.Cymmina
Server: Leviathan
user: Cymmina
By Leviathan.Cymmina 2010-07-28 10:33:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
This is the equip I use for Aspir/Drain:

recast in this set is 55 seconds.

I suppose I could find equipment to lower the recast time (W.Turban, Veela Cape), but I think Dark Magic Skill and INT/Magic Accuracy are the most important stats for landing potent un-resisted Aspir/Drains consistently. Worrying about recast is kinda useless if your Aspir/Drains are no good to begin with.
Good luck out there ^_^

You are doing yourself and that body a real disservice by using a NQ dark staff. The people posting haste heavy sets with Pluto's are going to have better drains/aspirs than you are with your set *and* they are going to be recasting them much sooner. Also, the testing done on drain/aspir points to INT doing nothing, or at the very best it helps with accuracy to some extent.

I personally would use the sea cape over Veela's, but not everyone is that lucky. Omega and Balrahn's are the best drain/aspir rings, next to the past Bastok quest ring. Lamprey Lord also drops an "enhances Drain/Aspir" earring.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Eyrhika
Server: Lakshmi
user: Eyrhika
By Lakshmi.Eyrhika 2010-07-28 11:00:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I will try to find it, but there was a post showing INT effecting the resist rate, but not the potency.. was on a livejournal or blog or something....
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-07-28 11:02:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Cymmina said:

You are doing yourself and that body a real disservice by using a NQ dark staff. The people posting haste heavy sets with Pluto's are going to have better drains/aspirs than you are with your set *and* they are going to be recasting them much sooner. Also, the testing done on drain/aspir points to INT doing nothing, or at the very best it helps with accuracy to some extent.

Thanks for your input.

Yeah, yeah. I've owned Pluto's Staff off and on (on mostly) for the past 5 years. I don't have one right now, and to be completely honest, the impact on my Aspir/Drains has been negligible to nil. That very well may be because of the level cap increase and the amount of Dark Magic skill gear and merits I use.

Obviously, Pluto's Staff is a good investment. And we could poo-poo all day about the various possible influences on Aspir/Drains ... it doesn't matter. Dark Magic skill is the most potent and proven influential factor, and Magic accuracy never hurts.

If you want to build haste into your BLM Dark Magic set, be my guest. In practicality, a few seconds off a 55 second recast isn't going to make or break you as a BLM.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Renala
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-07-28 11:06:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit: I'm suprised no ones mentioned the 'Enhances drain and aspir' peices.

Link to it here:

http://www.ffxiah.com/search/item?stat[]=181

The boot+hand set is +30%, hard to get though. I'm not sure about the others, other then the rings from the last WotG basty mission.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Eyrhika
Server: Lakshmi
user: Eyrhika
By Lakshmi.Eyrhika 2010-07-28 11:15:49
Link | Quote | Reply

http://robonosto.blogspot.com/2010/06/int-affecting-drain-accuracy-continued.html

Here it is, even though I am not a mage it is interesting stuff.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
Server: Carbuncle
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-07-28 11:20:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Balrahn's ring
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-28 11:30:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Renala said:
Edit: I'm suprised no ones mentioned the 'Enhances drain and aspir' peices. Link to it here: http://www.ffxiah.com/search/item?stat[]=181 The boot+hand set is +30%, hard to get though. I'm not sure about the others, other then the rings from the last WotG basty mission.
Pole is easy to get but not that good. Due to lack of macc it was on average about as good as pluto in dynamis. Plus now we have the trial ones so yeah...

Earring well it's not like there is anything else you can put on your ear to really enhance it other than dark earring same about the ring.

The hands/gloves aren't that hard to get per se (especially at 80 now) so much as getting a group to do those assaults enough to get both peices.

Earring is from T2 VNM which mages go out and solo but so far my droprate has been horrible. Like 0/15
 Valefor.Houppelande
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Houppelande 2010-07-28 11:44:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I would recommend the new excelsis Ring. It gives approximately a 5% increase to Drain/Aspir.

EDIT: Opps, didn't notice Renala mentioned this first. :)
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-28 12:00:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm still not sure weather to get the drain/aspir ring or the sorc pants ring... I like nuking hard and generally do that alot more than drain/aspiring lol
 Asura.Eeek
Server: Asura
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2010-07-28 12:09:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
I'm still not sure weather to get the drain/aspir ring or the sorc pants ring... I like nuking hard and generally do that alot more than drain/aspiring lol

You don't have to choose. You can get both as they come from different mission lines. The Excelsis Ring is the reward for completing the WoTG-Bastok missions, and the Zodiac Ring is the reward for completing the WoTG-Windurst missions.
[+]
By Antisense 2010-07-29 11:58:38
Link | Quote | Reply

It should be noted that, currently, additional dark magic skill beyond 300 (likely) increases only the accuracy of Drain and Aspir, not potency (I hope I don't have to define "accuracy" and "potency" for those who don't know the difference between the two).

It's just something to be aware of when considering what future equipment to use when optimizing both accuracy and potency together.
 Midgardsormr.Michelob
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Michelob
By Midgardsormr.Michelob 2010-07-29 12:07:48
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.ffxiah.com/item/16054/hirudinea-earring

Very easy to get.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-29 12:08:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never heard that... any kind of um anything about that 300 skill thing?
[+]
By Antisense 2010-07-29 17:02:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Welcome to 2004.
 Valefor.Argettio
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-07-29 17:12:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Antisense said:
Welcome to 2004.

Wow, with such conclusive evidence how could we ever argue with you...

Sarcasm aside, the vast majority of the magic accuracy work was done in 2009 and 2010 and drain/aspir still is far from fully understood (i.e. no formula) I doubt that a turning point @ 300 skill was proven in 2004.
[+]
 Fairy.Basilo
Server: Fairy
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-07-29 17:56:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Mine is:

Plutos/dark grip/blank/sturms report
morrihead/aesir torque/hirud/morri+1
acp macc+fastcast/morrihands/balrahns/omega
merciful/witchsash/af1leg/goliard feet

I change to loq earring/magnetic and rpumps for stun, as well as anrin obi when its darksday/weather.

I still need to finish off wotg to get the ring which will replace balrahns I guess over replacing omega.

Other improvments you would need over my build atm are af2 hands lol, aureole, excelsis ring and a better earring to replace morion+1 thats all.

As for teiwaz for dark element anyone care to break this down without BS.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-29 19:19:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Argettio said:
Antisense said:
Welcome to 2004.

Sarcasm aside, the vast majority of the magic accuracy work was done in 2009 and 2010 and drain/aspir still is far from fully understood (i.e. no formula) I doubt that a turning point @ 300 skill was proven in 2004.
This. I might also like to add that in 2004 that you couldn't even get 300 skill without merits
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-29 19:26:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Basilo said:
As far as this goes I'm still trying to figure it out myself.

For the lvl 80 ones...20 macc and 25% potency or 50 macc 10% potency...

Now for nukes it would be easy more dmg. But aspir/drain being such macc hounds with wildly varying amounts it's hard to tell.

I will say this I used to use diabolos pole in namis which is 25% potency no macc. After using it I ended up averaging pretty much the same as my pluto staff in there just much much bigger range of numbers usually.

Maybe if robonosto or lodeguy or someone else has done testing to show approximate % increase in overall drain/aspiring for a given amount of macc...

Otherwise might just get both and test it lol
[+]
By Antisense 2010-07-29 19:42:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Argettio said:
Antisense said:
Welcome to 2004.

Sarcasm aside, the vast majority of the magic accuracy work was done in 2009 and 2010 and drain/aspir still is far from fully understood (i.e. no formula) I doubt that a turning
point @ 300 skill was proven in 2004.

First, I am not sure what "magic accuracy work" you are talking about, but a JP player (blog handle "lodeguy") obtained his results in 2007. pchan provided some corroborating evidence later on but people tend not to trust him for whatever reason.

As far as Drain and Aspir are concerned, Google "drain formula ff11 320" (no quotes) and see what kind of result you get, which you can then verify yourself as it doesn't require 50,000 samples. "Welcome to 2004" is a jab at some solipsistic "I never heard about it, so no one ever figured it out" ***.
 Fairy.Basilo
Server: Fairy
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-07-29 20:19:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Fairy.Basilo said:
As far as this goes I'm still trying to figure it out myself. For the lvl 80 ones...20 macc and 25% potency or 50 macc 10% potency... Now for nukes it would be easy more dmg. But aspir/drain being such macc hounds with wildly varying amounts it's hard to tell. I will say this I used to use diabolos pole in namis which is 25% potency no macc. After using it I ended up averaging pretty much the same as my pluto staff in there just much much bigger range of numbers usually. Maybe if robonosto or lodeguy or someone else has done testing to show approximate % increase in overall drain/aspiring for a given amount of macc... Otherwise might just get both and test it lol

LOL doing thunder Teiwaz atm on spiders at J9 tower Thickets weather dropped and usually when it goes and I warp on treants it came back fast, so I stayed gathered up 8 attercop, had to sleepga them for 45mins just killed the pack now >.> 8 down in 1 aga lol was nice.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-29 20:39:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I do something similar but in the tree since the weather is so frequent and last longer. Plus there are more that are easier to get together so after weather pops can gather another 5-7 rq to aga down real fast with full mp and 2hr
 Valefor.Argettio
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-07-30 05:49:04
Link | Quote | Reply

CDF said:

These can be understood as the "soft" minimum (floor) and "soft" maximum (cap or ceiling) without any potency-enhancing factors other than dark magic skill. With dark skill alone, they cannot be increased above 300 skill, but obviously equipment/day/weather/ability effects can increase these.

Maxima:

Drain I: skill + 20 (max 320 at 300 skill)
Aspir: skill/3 + 20 (max 120 at 300 skill)
Drain II: skill + 85 (max 385 at 300 skill)

Minima:
Drain I: (skill + 20)/2 (max 160 at 300 skill)
Aspir: (skill/3 +20)/2 (max 80 at 300 skill)
Drain II: skill + 20 (max 320 at 300 skill)

Unresisted values of Drain, Aspir, and Drain II should be considered uniformly distributed based on the minima and maxima described previously.
Source dated 24th of July 2010

I trust CDF but I can’t really see how you can calm this is old news (aka welcome to 2004) as this is the only reference I have found which puts numbers to drain/aspir and it was posted less than a week ago.

Also it’s not a formula, it’s a method of calculating the max/min. A real formula would account and estimate the randomness (i.e. pDif in melee damage).

I would like to see a post dated in before early 2010 before I would consider this ‘old’ news.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-07-30 09:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm with Argettio, referencing your own posts that are less than a week old is hardly sufficient reason for an asshattish "welcome to 2004" when more information is requested.
[+]
By Antisense 2010-07-30 11:24:18
Link | Quote | Reply

How blind can someone be when I said unresisted values of Drain, Aspir, and Drain II should be considered uniformly distributed given the minimum and maximum as a function of dark magic skill (where no other potency-increasing factors are included). Do I need to give a probability mass function or what?

Yes, it is somewhat more difficult to account for all the other potency-increasing factors and their effect on the maximum and minimum but I do not consider my answer to be a complete answer insofar as that thread is "answer random question without writing 10 paragraphs." (Are equipment factors pooled together for a common multiplier or is the staff effect separate?)

Again, I'm not literally saying that this was figured out in 2004 but mocking the posture of ignorance that holds, "since I never heard of it there must be no evidence to support this claim that I consider to be radical."

No, I don't really expect anyone to be aware of documented JP testing (I can't even say I am aware of all of that's out there), and I don't expect anyone to go casting Aspir on worms with 325 dark magic skill (without any other potency-increasing factors in play) to see whether an Aspir above 120 is possible. But I don't really see "potency capping at 300 skill" to be a radical claim at all because it can be checked whether I refer to my own data or not, and in much less time than it would take to check every claim about magic accuracy.

Then again a circa 2004 posture of ignorance might have been a more humble one. Should I have said "welcome to 2006/2007/2008"? Pick a year.

Also, the minimum unresisted Aspir should be 60 at 300 skill (I forgot to change my post).
By Antisense 2010-07-30 11:32:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Seriously, how do people make claims about how melee pDIF is distributed or, to be more accurate, how melee pDIF should be considered to be distributed? Do they actually do probability plots?

Saying unresisted values of Drain and Aspir (note I am not saying anything about resisted value) are uniformly distributed is a claim with an obvious underlying probability model assumption that there is no reason to believe is wrong.
First Page 2