Angon's Status After Langdebeve (Add.eff: Defense

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » Angon's status after Langdebeve (Add.eff: Defense
Angon's status after Langdebeve (Add.eff: Defense
 Alexander.Almostunsane
Offline
Server: Alexander
Game: FFXI
Posts: 314
By Alexander.Almostunsane 2010-07-25 04:34:54
Link | Quote | Reply
 


For those unfamiliar with the weapon's properties... Supposedly the "Weakens Defense +15" = Defense -15% to target. I don't know how true this is, don't have the means to test, but I've heard it from enough people to trust it for now.

On most mobs, it procs usually within 4 hits. There are some mobs resistant to it (for example, since I -think- it's an Earth based enfeeble, it has horrible proc rates on Puks, who are aligned heavily with Wind), but 1~4 hits is the case the majority of the time.

Key point: It does not stack with, and overwrites Angon.

Now, obviously -15% is worse than -20%, but think of the future. Level 75->80 made Stribog's -10 go up to Langdebeve's -15, so I'd say it's safe to assume 80->99 will gain AT LEAST another -5. This would make it equal or even eventually superior to Angon, and it overwrites, which usually happens within the first few hits.

All that in mind...I don't see much of a use for meriting Angon more than 1/5 if at all any more. That first 30 seconds should be enough to stick the Langdebeve's effect, which you can then keep up fairly constantly throughout the match with a half-decent Haste build.

So... Is 2/5~5/5 Angon a waste, all that in mind? I already took one merit out of Angon for Empathy with the new Spirit Link boost, and I like Empathy enough that I'm considering taking more out of Angon to further enhance it. I mean really, what's the point of an extra 45 second duration if it's overwritten in less than the base 30 anyway?

I currently have 1/5 Empathy, 4/5 Angon, and 5/5 Deep Breathing (I solo a lot, and it's saved my *** on more than several occasions).
[+]
 Shiva.Daimos
Offline
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Daimos
Posts: 1202
By Shiva.Daimos 2010-07-25 04:37:52
Link | Quote | Reply
 
I would wait until it is 100% confirmed on the def down.
Not that I doubt it, just don't go takin' your merits off anytime soon.
 Carbuncle.Lileana
Offline
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Sumiyaka
Posts: 41
By Carbuncle.Lileana 2010-07-25 04:42:49
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Not Drg, so can't comment much but i believe Angon will still hold its place on High lvl mobs. haven't heard of any of the enfeeble Weapons procing on HNMs yet (if you do that). So I'd wait til more info comes out more trials ect.
 Alexander.Almostunsane
Offline
Server: Alexander
Game: FFXI
Posts: 314
By Alexander.Almostunsane 2010-07-25 04:42:58
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Definitely, not gonna take off 140k worth of EXP before it's a for-sure thing lol. But I'd like to know for future reference, when I finish the rest of my merits.

I don't do much endgame, but Langdebeve has no problem proc'ing on Dynamis mobs, including zone bosses, if that helps. No less frequent than random mobs.
 Carbuncle.Lileana
Offline
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Sumiyaka
Posts: 41
By Carbuncle.Lileana 2010-07-25 04:49:14
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Alexander.Almostunsane said:
Definitely, not gonna take off 140k worth of EXP before it's a for-sure thing lol. But I'd like to know for future reference, when I finish the rest of my merits. I don't do much endgame, but Langdebeve has no problem proc'ing on Dynamis mobs, including zone bosses, if that helps. No less frequent than random mobs.

If your getting Procs on things you do Then thats all you really need. But as Deimos Said, Go ahead and do your other merits and just put off G2(at least 4). Until Angon's status has been confirmed.
 Siren.Enternius
Offline
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Enternius
Posts: 10387
By Siren.Enternius 2010-07-25 04:50:09
Link | Quote | Reply
 
I think any enfeebling effect with a red "Downward helix" animation is considered a wind enfeeble, and as such won't proc on most of the things that are actually weak to Piercing, so I'd suggest keeping Angon either way.
 Shiva.Daimos
Offline
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Daimos
Posts: 1202
By Shiva.Daimos 2010-07-25 04:53:32
Link | Quote | Reply
 
I had no idea the animation was so specific....
Wouldn't all add effects be wind then (the enfeebling kind), because I can only remember 1 animation on things such as Thal's evasion down, or acid bolt's def down.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Offline
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
Posts: 6558
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-07-25 04:55:52
Link | Quote | Reply
 
I've had the Scythe equivalent process both on Colibri and Mamool Ja (Exp camps) well. Never on a Puk though.
 Siren.Enternius
Offline
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Enternius
Posts: 10387
By Siren.Enternius 2010-07-25 04:56:00
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Shiva.Daimos said:
I had no idea the animation was so specific....
Wouldn't all add effects be wind then (the enfeebling kind), because I can only remember 1 animation on things such as Thal's evasion down, or acid bolt's def down.
Well that's because most basic "stat down" effects are wind-based, like a max HP down or max MP down effect.

There are lots of enfeebling effects for weapons but you don't see them often because no one really uses weapons with special enchantments, like the LV20ish dagger that has Ensilence. It's a really cool static-like animation but no one uses it so you probably won't see it. Granted, that would be wind-based also because Silence is Wind.
 Shiva.Daimos
Offline
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Daimos
Posts: 1202
By Shiva.Daimos 2010-07-25 04:57:01
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Siren.Enternius said:
Shiva.Daimos said:
I had no idea the animation was so specific....
Wouldn't all add effects be wind then (the enfeebling kind), because I can only remember 1 animation on things such as Thal's evasion down, or acid bolt's def down.
Well that's because most basic "stat down" effects are wind-based, like a max HP down or max MP down effect.

There are lots of enfeebling effects for weapons but you don't see them often because no one really uses weapons with special enchantments, like the LV20ish dagger that has Ensilence. It's a really cool static-like animation but no one uses it so you probably won't see it. Granted, that would be wind-based also because Silence is Wind.

When in doubt, everything is wind, got it. lol.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Offline
Server: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: MisterRyu
Posts: 2742
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2010-07-25 04:57:12
Link | Quote | Reply
 
i would at least still keep 1 merit in angon, if not for anything but using before WSing the mob.
 Siren.Enternius
Offline
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Enternius
Posts: 10387
By Siren.Enternius 2010-07-25 04:57:18
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Odin.Zicdeh said:
I've had the Scythe equivalent process both on Colibri and Mamool Ja (Exp camps) well. Never on a Puk though.
That's because Colibri and Mamool Ja are both wind-based, but don't have the same wind affinity as Puks. Natural MACC rules will tell you that something will always proc at least 20% of the time unless it's flat-out immune, which Puks are, to all wind-based damage and enfeebles.
 Caitsith.Starwarsguru
Offline
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
Posts: 5
By Caitsith.Starwarsguru 2010-07-27 12:07:37
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Would using the Langdebeve with add: effect impairs evasion+15 and also using an angon be effective?
 Phoenix.Juggalo
Offline
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Juggalo
Posts: 180
By Phoenix.Juggalo 2010-07-27 21:35:13
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Caitsith.Starwarsguru said:
Would using the Langdebeve with add: effect impairs evasion+15 and also using an angon be effective?
Alexander.Almostunsane said:


Key point: It does not stack with, and overwrites Angon.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Offline
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
Posts: 6558
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-07-27 21:37:23
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Siren.Enternius said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
I've had the Scythe equivalent process both on Colibri and Mamool Ja (Exp camps) well. Never on a Puk though.
That's because Colibri and Mamool Ja are both wind-based, but don't have the same wind affinity as Puks. Natural MACC rules will tell you that something will always proc at least 20% of the time unless it's flat-out immune, which Puks are, to all wind-based damage and enfeebles.


That's exactly what I was implying, puks aren't even immune to Wind, they just flat-out absorb it. Which I'm not entirely sure how that works on a Magic Accuracy/defense level, but would certainly explain why Defense Down never processes on them.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Offline
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
Posts: 40469
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-27 21:40:54
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Also you could just be wearing a better trial polearm in the first place
 Odin.Hevans
Offline
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Hev
Posts: 223
By Odin.Hevans 2010-07-27 21:44:13
Link | Quote | Reply
 
angon's time to shine is at the start of a zerg. you wouldn't want your ally to wait on your weapon to proc. angon is still king of what it does... for drgs... it's really the only reason you'd take a drg to a zerg.
 Caitsith.Starwarsguru
Offline
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
Posts: 5
By Caitsith.Starwarsguru 2010-07-28 06:54:44
Link | Quote | Reply
 
@ Alexander.Almostunsane

I know the def +15 does not stack, but this also the same for the impairs evasion + 15 ??? Wishful thinking that the evasion +15 would proc and then use angon to take away defense too !!!
 Ragnarok.Faneelk
Offline
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Faneelk
Posts: 35
By Ragnarok.Faneelk 2010-07-30 20:45:49
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Angon's effect does stack with Langdebeve's Evasion down effect.
 Alexander.Almostunsane
Offline
Server: Alexander
Game: FFXI
Posts: 314
By Alexander.Almostunsane 2010-08-02 19:13:56
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Can now confirm that the "+15" is indeed 15%. Tested using the Gnats' ability Insipid Nip, which transfers own debuffs to the target. My base DEF at the time was 337, 505 with Cocoon up (which was overwritten and would not overwrite the effect), after gaining Nip's transferred Def Down lowered me to 286.

286/337 = 0.84866488472....
Roughly 15.1%, round to 15%.
 Bismarck.Osaia
Offline
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Osaia
Posts: 367
By Bismarck.Osaia 2010-08-02 19:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply
 
So, would it be safe to assume that all weapons with a "+15" effect are indeed 15% also? Such as the impairs evasion+15, etc.
 Alexander.Almostunsane
Offline
Server: Alexander
Game: FFXI
Posts: 314
By Alexander.Almostunsane 2010-08-02 19:47:12
Link | Quote | Reply
 
I would imagine so, but I cannot test this with my current resources, so don't quote me on that.
Log in to post.