What Does Your Dark Magic Gear Set Look Like?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » What does your dark magic gear set look like?
What does your dark magic gear set look like?
First Page 2
 Lakshmi.Abaddon
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: terry
By Lakshmi.Abaddon 2010-07-24 01:57:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Was wondering what other player's dark magic gear set looked like. I get bored talking bout who can parse what etc in a meritpo and epeen numbers on HNMs with weapons. What i am pondering are your epeen drains etc and the gear/merits you use for them.

this is my drain/aspir set. not a hell of alot of haste in it it but i have been doing some sick drains and drain2s.

http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/167177
[+]
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-07-24 04:11:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I was doing 700+ Drain II's in dyna with Nether Void, really liking the new JA alot especially stacking it with souleater.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Abaddon
By Lakshmi.Abaddon 2010-07-24 04:50:31
Link | Quote | Reply

nether void works with souleaterO.o?
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Samuraiking
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Samuraiking 2010-07-24 04:53:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Abaddon said:

And with that I'm going to bed...
[+]
 Phoenix.Gerrott
Server: Phoenix
user: Gerrott
By Phoenix.Gerrott 2010-07-24 05:15:43
Link | Quote | Reply

(Have Naglering but don't normally wield it)

Missing:
Corselet, the Demon Harness is signed and though i'm sitting on gil, don't feel the need to make the swap for 2macc.
The Earring from Lamprey Lord.
The Hands/Feet set from FL assaults.
The new Ring from Bastok WOTG quest line.
The campaign Magic Accuracy book.

Even missing all of that gear, still pull off great Drain II/Aspirs. Drain II is rarely under 450 in Dynamis(Obi), and Aspir rarely lower than 145~. Dark Knight is generally just a Dynamis Job for me, haven't even level'd it up to 80 yet, so those are the only numbers I have. Still /wristing over the Perle Set making Ebody WS onry to be honest.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-07-24 05:37:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Abaddon said:

Nether Void >>> Drain II >>> Souleater >>> Guillotine

I was sitting on 2.2k HP for souleater guillotines in dyna~
[+]
 Lakshmi.Gargemel
user: Gargemel
By Lakshmi.Gargemel 2010-07-24 11:17:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Gargemel
By Lakshmi.Gargemel 2010-07-24 11:21:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Lakshmi.Abaddon said:

Fun to outparse whole dynamis with Bahamut's Zagnal and spam Infernal Scythe with a decent half assed MAB/INT set while /rdm for more INT and MAB trait lol. Anrin Obi does effect the WS in case you were wondering.
 Asura.Arkanethered
Server: Asura
By Asura.Arkanethered 2010-07-24 11:25:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought that the original testing with Nether Void showed that it did not stack with drains... Am I mistaken here?

Edit*

Also if anyone has found a decent pair of feet for a dark magic set that I can get besides a lucky augment or evolith what is it?
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-07-24 11:26:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Arkanethered said:
I thought that the original testing with Nether Void showed that it did not stack with drains... Am I mistaken here?

Yes very.
[+]
 Cerberus.Excelior
Server: Cerberus
user: Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-07-24 12:29:47
Link | Quote | Reply

How do you guys actually have room for these gear sets? I'm like 75/80 with all 6 of my drk gearsets. Do you guys only carry certain ones with you at certain times?
[+]
 Asura.Stryger
Server: Asura
user: Stryger
By Asura.Stryger 2010-07-24 12:55:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Aptus Earring has Magic ACC+2 Converse MP+1, put on Homam body just to even out HP lost with other swaps, do wanna get a Demon's Harness eventually
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Samuraiking
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Samuraiking 2010-07-24 13:40:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Excelior said:
How do you guys actually have room for these gear sets? I'm like 75/80 with all 6 of my drk gearsets. Do you guys only carry certain ones with you at certain times?

Full WS, TP, MACC/drk magic and -PDT sets can fit in 80 slots, with full swaps for each. 16x4 = 64. Food and other items bringing it to 70, you have 10 extra spaces.

You just carry around a drk tank set for tanking which puts you over. Most drks don't tank. If you are tanking or not though you need to go with either full tanking sets only, or be a DD and go with the first sets I mentioned.

Asura.Arkanethered said:

Edit*

Also if anyone has found a decent pair of feet for a dark magic set that I can get besides a lucky augment or evolith what is it?

I haven't found ***tbh. I just use homam for hp and haste to help recast. And yes you are mistaken... Nether boost drain II a great deal.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-07-24 14:57:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I have some other variations of my Darkmagic set for Dreadspikes(a little more HP+, and fastcast/haste), and Absorb-TP(a little more fastcast/haste).

But, here's my current Dark magic set: Mostly for Drain, Drain2, aspir, aspir2, and stun.

I have a Dark earring too, but ffxiah is not letting me put it in there for some reason... it lists some other earring.

Swift belt switches to Anrin Obi when appropriate, with spellcast. The Nuevo Coselete has Fastcast+5%, and magic accuracy+4.

Still missing merciful cape/Abyss cape, and just need a few more campaign rank ups and I'll be able to get crimson belt, and sturm's report.

Campaign just bores me... I used to hate it before all the updates they did to it, though now I've been doing it more because I need some of those AN items/gear. If I'm using my Naglering I still get a 6hit build with pole grip by using: /sam, brutal, rajas, an augmented Attila's earring + ecphoria ring for TP, and have to WS in attila's earring...which allows me to have the +23STP for TP and +22STP for WS, for the 6hit with Naglering. I will get the rose strap(cause it makes it easier) though...working on getting the rank.

And while we're posting "magic sets"... I'll also post my DRK's current enfeebling magic set: For bind, sleep, and sleep 2.

Demagogue's Sash switches to Anrin Obi when appropriate, with spellcast.

Again, missing Abyss cape here. Also missing sturm's report for the reason stated earlier.

Possible upgrades I still need to get: W-head(crimson mask), Enfeebling torque, and Helenus's Earring + Cassandra's Earring.

I also start casting my spells in Nuevo coselete and my other FastCast gear, and finish casting with skill and magic accuracy (and INT too, if it's enfeebling magic), with Spellcast. I also have max dark magic merits, and max enfeebling magic merits.

Edit: And yes, the Job ability: Nether Void... increases your Drain/Drain2 by ~50%.

Lakshmi.Gargemel
By Lakshmi.Gargemel 2010-07-24 15:36:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol just realized OP. My harness signed by you bro, :P
 Lakshmi.Abaddon
By Lakshmi.Abaddon 2010-07-24 17:36:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Gargemel said:
Lol just realized OP. My harness signed by you bro, :P

haha i actually have 3 on me and one on AH been trying to HQ a signed harness myself glad you still have yours^.^
 Lakshmi.Abaddon
By Lakshmi.Abaddon 2010-07-24 17:39:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just glad other drks are putting some real intrests in there dark magic skills.

I personally cant wait til i get me that Excelsis Ring, been drooling bout it since a couple of people in emi completed the expansion.
 Cerberus.Zandra
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2010-08-09 14:07:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Gargemel said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Lakshmi.Abaddon said:

Fun to outparse whole dynamis with Bahamut's Zagnal and spam Infernal Scythe with a decent half assed MAB/INT set while /rdm for more INT and MAB trait lol. Anrin Obi does effect the WS in case you were wondering.

Does that work????

I have a nuke set that looks like this:

If i go /rdm and spam Infernal scythe what numbers will i see?
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-08-09 17:52:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I really doubt that works, you wont be outparsing anyone with Infernal scythe, the low Damage from BZ and spamming a Crappy WS are not doing anything for you.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-09 17:54:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Losing Hasso doesn't help either.
 Lakshmi.Gargemel
By Lakshmi.Gargemel 2010-08-12 17:56:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
I really doubt that works, you wont be outparsing anyone with Infernal scythe, the low Damage from BZ and spamming a Crappy WS are not doing anything for you.

I was doing 600 every infernal scythe /rdm with:

Anrin obi
25% bonus to Dark magic cast during miasma ("double weather").
35% with Darksday also. Infernal Scythe IS effected by weather and day.

Might be better to try /SAM though for hasso, not sure.

And yes, my WS set isnt the greatest for the WS.
 Lakshmi.Leondimas
user: Leondimas
By Lakshmi.Leondimas 2010-08-13 10:22:19
Link | Quote | Reply

This is currently what I use. Currently trying to get some assaults done so I can go for the vampiric set. I dont have an abyss cape or abyssal earring. Which body piece is better? The corselet or the demon's harness?
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-08-13 13:34:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Leondimas said:

This is currently what I use. Currently trying to get some assaults done so I can go for the vampiric set. I dont have an abyss cape or abyssal earring.

That's a nice set you got there for Drain/aspir.

Since you don't have an abyssal earring, you could still get a Dark earring with +3 more dark magic skill for your right ear.

Lakshmi.Leondimas said:
Which body piece is better? The corselet or the demon's harness?

This depends, it's situational etc... but to be more exact, as you probably already know, the only thing that affects drain's potency is dark magic skill, and items (like your excelsis ring, and Hirudinea earring) that specifically say "enhances effect of "Drain" and "Aspir."

Magic attack bonus gear does nothing for Drain's potency.

We also know that in terms of magic accuracy, 1 dark magic skill = 1 magic accuracy. (but dark skill also gives potency to drains etc., and help with interruptions too, while pure magic accuracy is just pure magic accuracy, which helps with landing the spell, resists etc.)

That being said,

Corselet has 2 more magic accuracy than Demon's harness, but Corselet is not giving any extra potency to your Drains.

On the other hand, they are really very close and you most likely won't notice a significant difference between the two pieces. Then given that you already have a corselet, I would just stick with that if I were you.

You can also use Corselete for both your Dark magic AND enfeebling magic set (I saw you also had an enfeebling magic set in your items sets). This way you will also be saving inventory space, which is always a nice thing.
 Lakshmi.Leondimas
user: Leondimas
By Lakshmi.Leondimas 2010-08-13 14:53:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah thanks for the nice comments, good to see there are some drk's out there that make some effort.

I'll probably go ahead and try to pick up that Dark Earring. And I'd like my sleep spells to continue being unresisted so I'll keep rockin' the Corselet. It looks a million times better than the harness anyway. :D

And I need to adjust some of those item sets I have listed lol. I didn't think anyone actually looked at those. A couple of them I actually own all the stuff, the others are just things I wanna get someday and test out. :p
 Cerberus.Zandra
By Cerberus.Zandra 2010-08-13 14:56:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Also another general question I have is:

While I understand why people have crimson hands for drains and aspir etc (myself included). Aren't skill and accuracy the only factors that help you get better results?

That being said, why aren't we all using AFv2?

10 skill vs 5 skill and 8 INT (which in the worst case senario is 4 acc best case is 8 acc)

10 acc vs 9-13 acc
 Carbuncle.Deathdealerjax
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Deathdealerjax 2010-08-13 15:09:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Abyss gauntlets are usually better then crimson hands for your drk based spells. Int vs Int still plays a factor. and with capped skill, alittle drk skill and mgk acc gear I stack int in other spots where I can. Let me not be lazy and get my magic sets finished on here and I'll post them in a minute XD.
For body I just the acp with fast cast and mgc acc... but im a career drk and don't need it for anything else while other peeps most definitely need it for other jobs with different stats on it.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-08-13 15:41:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Zandra said:
Also another general question I have is:

While I understand why people have crimson hands for drains and aspir etc (myself included). Aren't skill and accuracy the only factors that help you get better results?

That being said, why aren't we all using AFv2?

10 skill vs 5 skill and 8 INT (which in the worst case senario is 4 acc best case is 8 acc)

10 acc vs 9-13 acc

I'm pretty sure it has been tested that Magicattack bonus and also INT has no effect on darkmagic spells (except on the initial damage of Bio, where magicattack bonus gear can actually increase the initial dmg of Bio when cast;however, the damage per tick is increased in tiers with dark magic skill)

If I remember correctly, SE made Drain independent of MagicAttack bonus and INT, so that DRK can make use of Drain about as well as BLM. Therefore, dark magic skill, and magic accuracy are really the only factors. Which is why you see people mostly gearing for it with Dark magic skill and magic accuracy.

Of course other things like Anrin obi may affect dark magic spells too. And items that say "enhances effect of "Drain" and "Aspir" affect Drain and aspir too. However, MagicAttack bonus and INT seem to not be factors for Dark magic spells.

Basically, generally stacking Dark Magic skill and Magic accuracy is the most effective way to gear for dark magic spells. (Anrin obi, and/or other items that may enhance Drain/aspir if you have them, and when appropriate in the case of Anrin obi, which works on darksday/darkweather etc.)

[+]
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-08-13 18:55:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Dark Magic is not effected by INT in any way.

Giazz pretty much summed it up perfectly the way you would enhance your dark magic.
[+]
 Cerberus.Zandra
By Cerberus.Zandra 2010-08-16 17:52:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Basically, generally stacking Dark Magic skill and Magic accuracy is the most effective way to gear for dark magic spells. (Anrin obi, and/or other items that may enhance Drain/aspir if you have them, and when appropriate in the case of Anrin obi, which works on darksday/darkweather etc.)

Yeah I understand that all well and good. I've read the exact same information.

BUT...

INT has a direct proportional relationship to magic accuracy does it not? Or are we actively coming to the conclusion that it only does for elemental magic and enfeebling magic and NOT dark magic?
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-08-16 21:24:08
Link | Quote | Reply

INT does effect Dark Magic ACC but you are better off sticking with the higher Skill over 3 more ACC.

1 INT = 1MACC according to the discussion page on wiki.

Heres an interesting read I found on INT and Dark Magic.
http://robonosto.blogspot.com/2010/06/does-int-affect-drain-accuracy.html
First Page 2