Is Salvage Worth It Anymore?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » Is Salvage worth it anymore?
Is Salvage worth it anymore?
 Cerberus.Arebella
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Arebella
By Cerberus.Arebella 2010-07-15 11:51:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been thinking about this, and i'm not really sure. I mean the main two new body peices at least, seems to be like mini Morri. I currently nuke with a Teal Saio, but i see loads of comments saying that the Yhel Jacket will be absolute top. I don't wanna get all my salvage done and pay millions of gil, just to see later on, my gear is crap D:

Thoughts? :/
[+]
 Alexander.Temaruma
Server: Alexander
user: Temarumaz
By Alexander.Temaruma 2010-07-15 11:54:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I would get your 15/25/35 pieces, but hold off on upgrading anything until the new updates come.

From what I have heard there are going to be magian trials for armor coming, and I would think salvage gear would be upgraded then.

[+]
 Asura.Rule
Server: Asura
user: Rule
By Asura.Rule 2010-07-15 11:56:13
Link | Quote | Reply

i hope they add trials to things like Abj gear, homam, and other event obtainable gear
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-07-15 11:56:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say yes. I don't think many salvage pieces (the good ones) got replaced as top yet for their respective roles. Plus there's always the possibility of augmenting those pieces, which is quite likely considering the effort required in attaining them. All that aside Salvage is still fun.
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-07-15 11:57:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I've heard the same thing, and even without upgrades most of it is still either top or very close to it. With upgrades I think we can expect to see it become as epic by todays standards as it was when it was first released.

Also, thankyou for doing two cents right <_< I took the piss out of someone for showing a photo of two sides of a two cent coin and totally whooshed them <_< (2 x 2 cent coins =/= 2 cents)
[+]
 Sylph.Kimble
Server: Sylph
user: Jornna
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-07-15 11:58:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Id say still do it because mats on body/head/hands are getting cheaper and its still a rather fun event to do imo.
 Cerberus.Arebella
By Cerberus.Arebella 2010-07-15 11:59:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it would be stupid of SE to make something better than Salvage gear since people spent millions to get them, and it was meant to be best gear in the game. I'm just cautious about spending that much, since Se *can* be pretty stupid at times. :P

But yeah, regarding trials, i'm curious to what they'll allow us to augment. I think additional MAB on Morri would be great
 Alexander.Temaruma
Server: Alexander
user: Temarumaz
By Alexander.Temaruma 2010-07-15 12:01:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
I've heard the same thing, and even without upgrades most of it is still either top or very close to it. With upgrades I think we can expect to see it become as epic by todays standards as it was when it was first released.

Also, thankyou for doing two cents right <_< I took the piss out of someone for showing a photo of two sides of a two cent coin and totally whooshed them <_< (2 x 2 cent coins =/= 2 cents)

:D
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-07-15 12:07:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Arebella said:
I think it would be stupid of SE to make something better than Salvage gear since people spent millions to get them, and it was meant to be best gear in the game. I'm just cautious about spending that much, since Se *can* be pretty stupid at times. :P

But yeah, regarding trials, i'm curious to what they'll allow us to augment. I think additional MAB on Morri would be great
It's only the head and body that's really expensive.
 Cerberus.Arebella
By Cerberus.Arebella 2010-07-15 12:09:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah the hands/feet aren't bad at all. But Body is not an easy trip for me haha
 Shiva.Xet
Server: Shiva
user: Xet
By Shiva.Xet 2010-07-15 12:10:32
Link | Quote | Reply

getting head can often be expensive.
[+]
 Cerberus.Arebella
By Cerberus.Arebella 2010-07-15 12:12:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Xet said:
getting head can often be expensive.

Epic. LOL!
[+]
 Ifrit.Tulnig
Server: Ifrit
user: Tulnig
By Ifrit.Tulnig 2010-07-15 12:36:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't spend much on the new stuff. By the time we hit lvl 99, all gear currently avaliable will be junk. Just my 2 cents lol.
 Diabolos.Gira
Server: Diabolos
user: Cameryn
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-07-15 12:39:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Temaruma said:
Personally I would get your 15/25/35 pieces, but hold off on upgrading anything until the new updates come.

From what I have heard there are going to be magian trials for armor coming, and I would think salvage gear would be upgraded then.

SE explicitly said the gear that was best at 75 will be given improvements to remain the best at the higher levels.

SE has of course gone back on their promises many times before.

I think Salvage gear will be the best you can wear at 99, if SE's word is worth anything.

But I also think you should sit on your 15/25/35 sets for bodies, and head gear too if your gil is that tight, if you're skeptic of them going back on their promises again.

Though, on my server bodies have been getting much cheaper; so I'm going to get one on the cheap and just give SE the benefit of the doubt; because if salvage gear later becomes the best you can get, prices will sky rocket because players ISP will have long since been drained on Khroma Ore farming from ISNMs and there will be far fewer colibri/mamool parties than in the past and a resurgence in salvage body demand may make imperial wootz more scarce and expensive than ever before.

It's really just a judgment call; since time in Abyssea is so limited you have the option of working in ToTM trials or doing old content between traverser stones. My main focuses are trial weapons and salvage.

But beyond worrying about gear, do what's fun. When the servers shut off it won't really matter if you did or didn't get the best gear; only thing that will matter is if you had fun playing the game or did you get caught up in a tedious rat race and let botters and trolls drag you down :P
[+]
 Cerberus.Arebella
By Cerberus.Arebella 2010-07-15 12:40:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah no, I didn't. ^^ I went into abyssea and farmed my cruor for teal and perle. But im just curious about Yhel(or any other upcoming gear) vs Morri
 Cerberus.Arebella
By Cerberus.Arebella 2010-07-15 12:42:30
Link | Quote | Reply

But, if trials come out to upgrade Morri, ill probably go w/ Morri definately, unless they make some new awesome gear ><
 Sylph.Kimble
Server: Sylph
user: Jornna
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-07-15 12:45:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Depending on your total mab, Morrigan robe should win on things like TIV and TV nukes.

Morrigans should still be best for BLM.

Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-15 12:51:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Morri is about the same on T4 on HQ. And about the same as NQ for T5 for dmg. And yeah lose on AM2

Morri will have slightly less resist rate and can be used by more jobs.

I might add that last time I checked one of the ingredients for yhel isn't found yet and it looks to be synergy which leaves kind iffy HQ rates and probably high prices.

NQ weskit with 6 int was already compares to morri about the same.

Regardless some of the peices are still rather useful. And it was kinda apparent which ones it would be even before new gear came out
[+]
 Diabolos.Gira
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-07-15 12:53:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Arebella said:
Ah no, I didn't. ^^ I went into abyssea and farmed my cruor for teal and perle. But im just curious about Yhel(or any other upcoming gear) vs Morri
Cerberus.Arebella said:
But, if trials come out to upgrade Morri, ill probably go w/ Morri definately, unless they make some new awesome gear ><

The beauty of the situation is most of the new gear can be sold. The Perle/Aurore/Teal sets and the crafted bodies like Yhel can all be pawned off if you no longer need/want them.

You really shouldn't worry too much about the future or if your gear will become out-dated, it's a game, have fun with it!
 Diabolos.Gira
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-07-15 12:56:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Morri is about the same on T4 on HQ. And about the same as NQ for T5 for dmg. And yeah lose on AM2

Morri will have slightly less resist rate and can be used by more jobs.

I might add that last time I checked one of the ingredients for yhel isn't found yet and it looks to be synergy which leaves kind iffy HQ rates and probably high prices.

NQ weskit with 6 int was already compares to morri about the same.

Regardless some of the peices are still rather useful. And it was kinda apparent which ones it would be even before new gear came out

Are you looking at Morrigan's Robe vs. Yhel Jacket or are you looking at Morrigan's Set Vs. Yhel Jacket + best alternative pieces in head/hands/legs/feet slots? Because there's still the set bonus to consider. Just wondering, :P
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-07-15 13:23:26
Link | Quote | Reply

You could already beat full morrigan's set before this update with a good mixed set. Ok, an uber mixed set, but it was possible. Although, blm nuking with relic pants on matching day/element can beat full morri much easier I believe.

Das, not that I've actually done any synergy aside from leveling it to 55ish, but I'm pretty sure that since HQs are skill based, as opposed to luck based as in regular synthesis, HQs will, in the long run, be much cheaper and more common in comparison to any high level synth. In fact, look at the difference in price between Lmg. Medallion and Lmg. Medallion +1, and now look at the difference in price between, say, Dusk Gloves and Dusk Gloves +1.

Anyway, Gira is right, it's a game. Live impulsively, don't regret!
[+]
 Cerberus.Arebella
By Cerberus.Arebella 2010-07-15 13:36:21
Link | Quote | Reply

This is true :P
 Cerberus.Arebella
By Cerberus.Arebella 2010-07-15 13:38:54
Link | Quote | Reply

But its alot more complicated than that really i mean if i blow 12 mil or whatever on a body peice, i cant sell it to earn it back, and im not lucky in this game lol that kinda funds for me doesnt come easy