The New Affinity Staffs?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Magian Trials » The New Affinity Staffs?
The New Affinity Staffs?
 Siren.Mareo
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Mareo
By Siren.Mareo 2010-07-07 14:19:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Was just curious what is better:
Example: Jupiter's staff
+15% increase to Lightning Element Magic Spells
-15% decrease to Water Element Magic Spells
-3 Avatar Perpetuation Cost for Ramuh and Thunder Spirit
+3 Avatar Perpetuation Cost for Leviathan and Water Spirit

Or

Indra's Staff:
Lightning Affinity: Macc+1
Lightning Affinity: Magic Dmg+4

Was wondering if i should even bother with upgrading these New Staffs an selling all of my HQ Staffs?
 Siren.Enternius
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-07-07 14:21:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Trial of the Magians staves are supposed to be something like twice as good as HQ elemental staves, in terms of pure damage.

Don't quote me on that, but I heard Magic DMG+1 is supposed to be slightly lower than NQ, DMG+2 is slightly higher than HQ. Idk after that but the logical train of thought would be more than twice as good.
 Quetzalcoatl.Ouchie
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Ouch
By Quetzalcoatl.Ouchie 2010-07-07 14:23:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Last I checked, DMG+1 is 10% (NQ staves), DMG+2 is 15% (HQ staves), DMG+3 is 20% (Teiwaz), DMG+4 is 25% (current staves).

The downside is the affinity magic accuracy+1 which is only magic accuracy+20 whereas the HQ staves are m. acc+2 (magic accuracy+30).
 Sylph.Ashaaman
Server: Sylph
user: Ashaaman
By Sylph.Ashaaman 2010-07-07 14:25:10
Link | Quote | Reply

The new DMG Affinity staves are better DMG than HQ Staves, but lower Accuracy. And the high Accuracy staves are better accuracy and lower MAB... So.
 Siren.Clinpachi
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-07-07 14:26:13
Link | Quote | Reply

If i recall correctly it's like +30 MACC on the HQ staffs and +20 MACC on the magian. But as ent said they are much higher in MATK.
 Siren.Mareo
user: Mareo
By Siren.Mareo 2010-07-07 14:28:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Guess i should start working on that staff then lol
not to mention more gil in my pocket once they are complete.
 Sylph.Aeryi
Server: Sylph
user: Aeryi
By Sylph.Aeryi 2010-07-26 11:21:35
Link | Quote | Reply

and ToTM isnt over so maybe(hopefuly) the magic accuracy on the ToTM staves will catch up to being atleast equal to hq staves.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-26 11:27:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually I can see the dmg paths macc staying the same the whole way. Just so you can't throw out your HQ staffs.

Still for nuking it is much better. You can easily make up the 10 macc and still have more dmg
By Rayeese 2010-07-26 11:31:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Have a scenario question for you guys:

Say I normally cast stone 4 with bugard strap +1 and a HQ terra staff equipped on my blm.

Then I want to use one of these magian staffs say the earth one with max on the dmg path and base on the acc path. So 4 dmg and 1 acc.

Will using an earth grip over the bugard strap +1 and the new staff be the same or better for magic accuracy as the old setup I'm used to?

Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-26 11:34:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Look above the answers are there.
 Ragnarok.Deathshift
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Deathshift 2010-07-26 11:35:19
Link | Quote | Reply

1 int really wouldn't make a damage difference whatsoever, just cap your elemental magic merits, with some good gear and you should be set. if you have bad macc go with the elemental grips, i have indra's staff and i barely ever resist with it
 Pandemonium.Nususu
Server: Pandemonium
user: nususu
By Pandemonium.Nususu 2010-07-26 11:40:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Think of it this way, The HQ staves are the equivalent of Elemental Affinity: 2 Magic damage and 2 magic acc.
By Rayeese 2010-07-26 12:33:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Back to the grip in question:

Say an earth grip suppose to add 2 magic accuracy to earth based damage; is that the same as 2 flat accuracy to the spell stone 4 or does that equate to 20 magic accuracy for the spell stone 4?

I see on the item +2 but does that mean .02, 20%, or 2?

I guess I dont' really understand how the grips are suppose to help my accuracy all that much when per the above comments I could just go cap the elemental skill and do much better.

Say I did cap that skill and put on a grip with the new staff and picked the dmg path 4 and acc of 1.

Will I get the accuracy back that I lost from my HQ terra staff simply by adding back a earth grip instead of the bugard strap or will my elemental accuracy be gimped by 10% or so still?

Basically this question soley rests with is this earth grip worth a damn or is it some trash add on to waste money and inventory spots?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-26 12:39:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The grips are just 2 macc. Period

2<10 so no you would still have less acc. And seeing as the 1 int grip is .5-1macc using them isn't the best idea on nuke to begin with.

Also HQ staffs don't really add %macc. NQs and +1 affinity adds 20macc HQ adds 30macc.