Fencer, Retaliation and Tanking
First Page 2
 Sylph.Akibakei
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Akiba
By Sylph.Akibakei 2010-06-25 10:17:57
Link | Quote | Reply

So I am doing some thinking about Fencer and how it can help War.

Retaliation and Fencer just scream to go together. If you are only wielding 1 Weapon then you are not subbing Nin. The PROC rate for Retaliation is somewhere around 45% which is nice since it gives TP as well.

So with Fencer we are encouraged to wield 1 weapon, with Retaliation we can build some good TP for WSing, and granted a bonus to WS from Fencer.

Can anyone imagine a gear set made for tanking, for retaliation and WSing faster, that would be viable? Axe and Shield War ftw or ftl?
[+]
By Valo 2010-06-25 10:48:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I don't think you can truly find a set that works unless you actually start using it and finding out where to tweak it. That being said I'd say start out with a good Axe, and gear towards what a regular PLD would wear, since WAR can equip most stuff PLD can. Maybe without such a heavy emphasis on enmity since WAR has other job abilities that can accumulate hate.

WAR/PLD for defense and shield skill, as well as flash later?
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Server: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2010-06-25 10:58:57
Link | Quote | Reply

hmm first thouhgt is shield mastery there /pld or theres also that shield that gives shield master +1 then u got sipar with it 95%ish block triger rate. past that u got the imperial standing shield wiht haste and str on it then tatnam (sp) wiht str eva and killer effect. just couple things off top my head. maybe war/mnk for counter and chakra and other jas with one those shields.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-06-25 10:59:07
Link | Quote | Reply

No use at all other than messing around with it for fun.

You wont keep hate as you get hit all the time, losing all your CE.
You need to do alot of dmg to gain hate, and if you gear for defence, you wont deal alot of dmg, and you wont get any hate anyways.
[+]
 Sylph.Akibakei
By Sylph.Akibakei 2010-06-25 11:04:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
No use at all other than messing around with it for fun.

You wont keep hate as you get hit all the time, losing all your CE.
You need to do alot of dmg to gain hate, and if you gear for defence, you wont deal alot of dmg, and you wont get any hate anyways.

I am just not the kinda person to dismiss something just because no one does it. No one in the game used Haste gear at first. No War used GA at first. With ALL the enmity, defense, damage minus gear War has MAYBE we can find a use for Fencer and Retaliation.

[+]
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-06-25 11:06:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Fencer only works with one-handed weapons so if you want to drop a GA in exchange for an axe, you're going to lose a lot of damage.
By Valo 2010-06-25 12:00:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
Fencer only works with one-handed weapons so if you want to drop a GA in exchange for an axe, you're going to lose a lot of damage.

Aye but isn't that how SE views non-blink tanks? They all take hits fairly well but aren't able to dish out that much in dmg in return relatively speaking compared to other DDs?

I'd say if your a war gearing to be a tank using Retaliation/Fencer then your gonna drop a lot of damage simply because you've decided to become a tank.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-06-25 12:03:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Valo said:
Siren.Enternius said:

Aye but isn't that how SE views non-blink tanks? They all take hits fairly well but aren't able to dish out that much in dmg in return relatively speaking compared to other DDs?

I'd say if your a war gearing to be a tank using Retaliation/Fencer then your gonna drop a lot of damage simply because you've decided to become a tank.
I see what you're saying but obviously Atonement has turned that upside down. PLD would be both a better tank and a better DD than a WAR with a single axe.
[+]
By Valo 2010-06-25 12:11:07
Link | Quote | Reply

As another thought, WAR used to be a tank back in the day. Those usually subbed mnk, etc instead of nin, and always had a single axe and shield. Maybe SE is wanting WAR to go back to what it was doing way long ago.

Its true Kvazz that right now it doesn't seem obvious to have a WAR tank, but these first few job abilities/traits maybe just a taste of what is to come as the level cap increases. WAR might get more of these sort of "tank" like enhancements which will push it up to being able to be something like a PLD-DD tank. I wouldn't rule anything out just yet. Hell it may become something like a SCH being able to switch between being a tank and a regular DD.
[+]
 Diabolos.Jonnydutch
Server: Diabolos
By Diabolos.Jonnydutch 2010-06-25 12:18:25
Link | Quote | Reply

if you ask me i say Fencer will be best used for pld/war once we brake 80+ just woulda been nice to see it lvl 40 not 45. guess we have wait to find out that one lol
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-06-25 12:28:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Basicly you would need alot of DDs \thf spamming TA on you.
But it would be way better to have a \nin to do that on, as they would take less dmg, and not sponge up all the mp :P
I dont belive fencer will ever have a good use for warrior.
It's really nice for BST\WHM etc, but at level 80, I dont think there's much use for it otherwise.
Gonna be great for PLD once we reach 90, if there's still any situations where you would sub WAR :p
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-06-25 12:32:37
Link | Quote | Reply

War/pld with full Koenig would prolly be the best Def, HP and loads of Vit..I don't know tho and I can't test it out lol..but lol war/dnc with joy/sheild with Retaliation/Fencer could be intereting maybe in Campaign.
 Ragnarok.Ruklin
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ruklin
By Ragnarok.Ruklin 2010-06-25 12:33:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
Valo said:
Siren.Enternius said:
Aye but isn't that how SE views non-blink tanks? They all take hits fairly well but aren't able to dish out that much in dmg in return relatively speaking compared to other DDs? I'd say if your a war gearing to be a tank using Retaliation/Fencer then your gonna drop a lot of damage simply because you've decided to become a tank.
I see what you're saying but obviously Atonement has turned that upside down. PLD would be both a better tank and a better DD than a WAR with a single axe.
That's not entirely true Ent. Throw on the OAT axe from Magians and a war will ws more then the pld due to having retaliation as well. Rampage will likely crit more consistently from Fencer JT so they will also do much more then 750 more often. My rampages before i switched to GA full time were 1k+ regularly.
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-06-25 12:44:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ruklin said:
Siren.Enternius said:
Valo said:
Siren.Enternius said:
Aye but isn't that how SE views non-blink tanks? They all take hits fairly well but aren't able to dish out that much in dmg in return relatively speaking compared to other DDs? I'd say if your a war gearing to be a tank using Retaliation/Fencer then your gonna drop a lot of damage simply because you've decided to become a tank.
That's not entirely true Ent. Throw on the OAT axe from Magians and a war will ws more then the pld due to having retaliation as well. Rampage will likely crit more consistently from Fencer JT so they will also do much more then 750 more often. My rampages before i switched to GA full time were 1k regularly.
But what mob are you talking about..surely you can do 1k Rampages at merit camps but then again if you did war at merits with 1 axe so you could use fencer you would/should be laughed out of the pt..and not to mention how little damage you wouldn't be doing.

Tank anything high lvl I would seriously doubt doing consistant 750+ Rampages...plus without a way to mitigate damage War would be a farly fail tank...I dont have any idea why SE would add fencer to war.
 Ragnarok.Ruklin
By Ragnarok.Ruklin 2010-06-25 12:53:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
But what mob are you talking about..surely you can do 1k Rampages at merit camps but then again if you did war at merits with 1 axe so you could use fencer you would/should be laughed out of the pt..and not to mention how little damage you wouldn't be doing. Tank anything high lvl I would seriously doubt doing consistant 750 Rampages...plus without a way to mitigate damage War would be a farly fail tank...I dont have any idea why SE would add fencer to war.
This would be bird camp. However, I main handed Maneater. So the dmg difference between the OAT axe and manny would change rampage output. and the dmg mitigation on WAR is not all that bad. I've tanked Odin as war/sam until the pld's that went down recovered, and held hate off the mages cure bombing me just fine. I'm not saying that the are a better tank then a pld is, i'm saying that even single weapon they would still be a better DD lol. If anything I would say that all this new stuff does is allow a war to back-up tank in case things go horribly wrong and pld's drop. yay for Plan B
 Sylph.Akibakei
By Sylph.Akibakei 2010-06-25 12:57:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Some of these newer camps are honestly begging for a tank because the mobs hit hard but have generally low HP. If a Fencer and Damage mitigation build is set, a War can take the hits and also have a deadly WS build.

I would be willing to try it in Bibiki or on those new birds or something.

Edit:
Let's not compare War to a Pld. We all know Pld is the premier tank on anything high lvl. This is for normal tanking in things like Einherjar, newer exp camps, or maybe even BCNMs.
 Ragnarok.Ruklin
By Ragnarok.Ruklin 2010-06-25 13:00:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I fully agree Aki. It just gives us more options is all.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-06-25 13:03:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd have a WAR\SAM or WAR\NIN tank over a war\mnk or \pld or w\e wielding a single axe any day.

Fencer sucks for war, live with it:P
[+]
 Seraph.Rafik
Server: Seraph
user: dascorp
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-06-25 13:03:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Akibakei said:
Some of these newer camps are honestly begging for a tank because the mobs hit hard but have generally low HP. If a Fencer and Damage mitigation build is set, a War can take the hits and also have a deadly WS build.

I would be willing to try it in Bibiki or on those new birds or something.

Edit:
Let's not compare War to a Pld. We all know Pld is the premier tank on anything high lvl. This is for normal tanking in things like Einherjar, newer exp camps, or maybe even BCNMs.

for bibiki war/nin is fine as long as the mages haste you and your party kills fast enough
 Ragnarok.Ruklin
By Ragnarok.Ruklin 2010-06-25 13:04:07
Link | Quote | Reply

oh btw. inb4 LOL at seeing a bunch of WAR's in AF+1 body
 Leviathan.Rihoko
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Rihoko 2010-06-25 13:06:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know about WAR, but PLD/WAR will benefit a lot form Fencer.
 Sylph.Akibakei
By Sylph.Akibakei 2010-06-25 13:07:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
I'd have a WAR\SAM or WAR\NIN tank over a war\mnk or \pld or w\e wielding a single axe any day.

Fencer sucks for war, live with it:P

Maybe but you cant say that for fact, also with the TP from Retaliation you may be able to WS at a crazy rate. who knows, its worth the try if you ask me especially if it means more parties for us :P
 Diabolos.Ghlin
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2010-06-25 13:09:15
Link | Quote | Reply

a fencer using an axe doesn't sit well w/ me. rdm/war and pld/war at 90 as mentioned will make a lot more sense.
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-06-25 13:10:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Akibakei said:
We all know Pld is the premier tank on anything high lvl.
The "premier tank" now that Rdm was gimped...it wasn't before but I guess it can take that title because rdm/nin got shitcan'd.
 Sylph.Akibakei
By Sylph.Akibakei 2010-06-25 13:12:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ruklin said:
oh btw. inb4 LOL at seeing a bunch of WAR's in AF 1 body

no.. god no.. no no.. the horror

Use Hauby. the Eva minus will help Retaliation anyway.
 Seraph.Rafik
Server: Seraph
user: dascorp
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-06-25 13:12:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Derail, but you guys remind me of a party I had yesterday @Promies ; ;

The guy tells me to come sam/war or sam/drg since we getting a pld tank. Right<.< he got a blu/pld for a tank. The blu wanted to flash. The party setup was rdm/whm, cor/whm, rng/sam, blu/nin, blu/pld and me on sam/drg I felt sorry for the red mage. It was ok, but please people dont go blu/pld and think you are a tank.
 Diabolos.Ghlin
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2010-06-25 13:17:09
Link | Quote | Reply

i always thought the warrior artifact armor was the ***. it's too bad it sucks. but you'd better macro that body in for provoke!
 Ragnarok.Ruklin
By Ragnarok.Ruklin 2010-06-25 13:18:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Akibakei said:
Ragnarok.Ruklin said:
oh btw. inb4 LOL at seeing a bunch of WAR's in AF 1 body
no.. god no.. no no.. the horror Use Hauby. the Eva minus will help Retaliation anyway.
hence the LOL @
By Valo 2010-06-25 17:09:33
Link | Quote | Reply

In all seriousness though SE might have something planned for WAR as the level cap increases. If this is just the start, and the rest of the abilities/traits are tank geared instead of DD geared, WAR could easily find a place in the tanking family. While right now I agree that PLD and NIN are much better tanks in their own right, but things might change. Maybe like a trait that greatly enhances Defender's damage reduction, like what the Assassin trait did for Thief's Trick Attack. It'd be nice to have another job that can tank anyway... Just my 2 cents worth :P
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-06-25 17:14:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Valo said:
In all seriousness though SE might have something planned for WAR as the level cap increases. If this is just the start, and the rest of the abilities/traits are tank geared instead of DD geared, WAR could easily find a place in the tanking family. While right now I agree that PLD and NIN are much better tanks in their own right, but things might change. Maybe like a trait that greatly enhances Defender's damage reduction, like what the Assassin trait did for Thief's Trick Attack. It'd be nice to have another job that can tank anyway... Just my 2 cents worth :P

War can tank as it is right now.
As long as he knows how to keep shadows up and can deal dmg on the mob.

War have access to alot of PDT gear, gets defender, provoke, retalliation, and it's a great DD.

But apart from dealing dmg, there's no real way to gain CE, but now you'll start to learn ninjutsu :Ni enfeebles, might help.
[+]
First Page 2