Whats Better Magic Def. Bonus Or Magic Evasion Bonus?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Beast Master » whats better magic def. bonus or magic evasion bonus?
whats better magic def. bonus or magic evasion bonus?
By cerusa 2010-06-13 08:11:36
Link | Quote | Reply

doing some trial axes for my bst. i saw that you can get magic evasion or magic def. just curious whats the diffrence between the two or is there even a diffrence?
(this is for my pets by the way, whats better for them.)
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-06-13 08:26:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Magic evasion is a new stat, but I think it gives you a chance of magic completely missing you. Magic defence on the other hand, is a constant stat which will always reduce the amount of damage taken. So imo, mdef > Meva, but that's just me.
 Bismarck.Ankiseth
Server: Bismarck
user: Darkfire
By Bismarck.Ankiseth 2010-06-13 08:32:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk that Ma Eva works like physical evasion and can completely miss, but the way I always saw it was Ma Eva is the counterpart to Ma Acc, increases chance of resisting debuffs or partially resisting a nuke, etc. Whereas MDB is the counterpart to MAB, where instead of increasing magic damage it decreases the amount taken.

Again, it is a fairly new stat but logistically thats how I saw the difference. I know, saying anything is logical in SE's world is stupid outright, but I stand by it.

To answer the OP, are your pets getting nuked often or debuffed often? Thats how I would go about deciding.
 Fenrir.Luarania
Server: Fenrir
user: Whknight
By Fenrir.Luarania 2010-06-13 08:33:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Somewhat right, it ups the chance to resist.

Wiki said:
Magic Evasion is a stat that controls the ability to Resist a magical spell, just like (Melee) Evasion controls the ability to evade physical attacks.

Unlike melee evasion, only a few pieces of armor contain the term "magic evasion". Such an attribute can be found on augmented armors. The term is however used in the description of the Red Mage weapon skill Death Blossom.

Adding 1 point of magic evasion on the target of the spell (monster or player) is equivalent to removing 1 point of magic accuracy on the caster.

Magic evasion can be specified to apply to only certain spells or certain type of spells. For instance Barsleep grants magic evasion to sleep or repose and barfire grants magic evasion to all fire based spells (burn, Flare, etc).

The elemental resistance table under the equipment screen gives the relative increase/decrease in magic evasion to all 8 base elements.

1 point of elemental resistance is equivalent to 1 point of magic evasion for the specified element. For instance Crimson Cuisses give 20 magic evasion to Fire spells.

Different spells have different magic accuracies (for instance tier I elemental magic is less accurate than tier IV), or equivalently, players and monsters have different magic evasions depending on what spell is used.
For example Heraldic Imp in Caedarva Mire have high resistance to sleep but not to gravity.

Level difference affects magic evasion, but it is not quantified yet. Magic evasion is the sum of a "natural" evasion and level difference. Mobs of different levels have different evasions, even if they are of the same type, and level difference is added on top of that.

Also of note on the talk page someone pointed out that since CHR is on the axe for magic evasion itself, meaning it might be CHR based, which is halfway interesting. Go go PLD CHR builds?

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Magic_Evasion

edit* added link as there is more info lower on the page about how it works, with math involved.
By cerusa 2010-06-13 08:41:27
Link | Quote | Reply

hmm that good info, the chr thing also sounds interesting.
but i was thinking same thing,magic evasion is for choke,slow and spells like that.
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
Server: Leviathan
user: pchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-06-13 08:55:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Magic evasion works like elemental resists, it's like +1 resist to all elements. However it's useless if it doesn't put you in the window where the magic hit rate is between 5% and 95%. In order to achieve this your total magic evasion (sum of INT contribution, base magic evasion and equippement/spell) has to be between m-45 and m+90 where m is the magic accuracy accuracy of the monster nuking you. As an exemple, even match bombs in Halvung require around +150 fire resist to match their magic accuracy (aka : 50% resist rate), so you need between 105 and 240 to have a resist rate that is different from 5% or 95%.
By cerusa 2010-06-13 08:59:00
Link | Quote | Reply

But how does it apply to pets? I dont think there is any was to see a Bst pets INT. or is it based off the Beastmaster himself?
 Fenrir.Luarania
By Fenrir.Luarania 2010-06-13 09:01:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Dunno, I assume pets have their own stats similar to how mobs have theirs. I don't even think thats something that has been explored much.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-06-13 09:04:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm no BST, and I'm not going to pretend I know everything about it, but if I had to guess, I'd say BST pets use the same stats as a normal mob at that level. Makes sense, doesn't it? Assume a roughly 65 base depending on mob type (Carrie will have less, being PLD, whereas Lars will have high INT being a DRK).
[+]
 Fenrir.Luarania
By Fenrir.Luarania 2010-06-13 09:10:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
I'm no BST, and I'm not going to pretend I know everything about it, but if I had to guess, I'd say BST pets use the same stats as a normal mob at that level. Makes sense, doesn't it? Assume a roughly 65 base depending on mob type (Carrie will have less, being PLD, whereas Lars will have high INT being a DRK).
What I ment basicly, thanks >.<;. One thing though, would HQ pets be considered NMs? Which would have higher stats.
 Bahamut.Cerusa
Server: Bahamut
user: cerusa
By Bahamut.Cerusa 2010-06-13 09:22:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I think they would..also bst affinty should also effct this.
I spose ill have to test some of this. thank you for the info.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-06-13 09:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Beastmaster pets also (Jug pets as well) have much higher base resistance factors than PC's. Funguar Familiar, for example has a massive Water resistance bonus, to the point where it will usually resist any water related spell thrown at it. For Example (Max Beast Affinity) I've had Funguar Familiar 1/16 a Venom Shower from Krabkatoa.

Generally, Magic Evasion is useless, because there simply isn't enough to stack. When we start seeing around +50 Magic Evasion available through all 16 slots, then we can start thinking about building for it. (Augmented are too fickle to count on.)
 Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn 2010-06-13 14:07:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Sticking to the OP, i would say Magic Defense Bonus would have a better effect just because it would reduce all spells. While magic evasion would be like putting +10? resist to all stats. On top of not having any more access to other forms of this it seems even more useless..Not to say Magic defense bonus is going to do much on its own either but still better.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-13 14:12:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Luarania said:
Also of note on the talk page someone pointed out that since CHR is on the axe for magic evasion itself, meaning it might be CHR based, which is halfway interesting. Go go PLD CHR builds?
Read the related links. It's based on same thing as macc for whatever magic dmg that is. Normally int.
 Fenrir.Luarania
By Fenrir.Luarania 2010-06-13 14:20:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Fenrir.Luarania said:
Read the related links. It's based on same thing as macc for whatever magic dmg that is. Normally int.
Didn't bother reading it, wasn't something I was interested in =/ figured have as much though. A PLD can dream... A PLD can dream...
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-06-13 15:04:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn said:
While magic evasion would be like putting 10? resist to all stats.
If it was 10 meva, yes. I assume that's the value on the axe, just too lazy to check.

Resist ele/meva are pretty much useless unless stacked; MDB will generally be more useful. In the OP's case, MDB for sure.
 Ragnarok.Holyman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Holyman
By Ragnarok.Holyman 2010-06-13 15:06:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Thumb Rule for this as I see it :

Cap - magic damage taken first , then depends on what are you fighting .

Easiest thing people do is to stack Magic Defense Bonus after capping magic damage taken .

But Magic Defense Bonus helps with reducing direct magic damage from spells with percentage .

On the other hand Magic Evasion is like adding +elemental resistance for all elements , so in case you're fighting something which solely cast Fire for example , you're better with magic evasion & stacking "Vs Fire" resistance pieces , it's like asking what's better , reduce damage or resistaning the damage % of the time , the more magic evasion u have , the better it gets~

Also magic evasion doesn't only give you resistance to elemental magic , but for enfeebling magic , magical TP moves , Dark magic , Blue magic etc.

& I'm not sure if your stats affect your pets , I think pets have their own stats , but I always wonder in case of SMN why do they have 2nd highest INT after BLM , unless it's just because of INT being mods for staff WS , idk if there is any relation between SMN INT & the pets "Spirits particularly" .