DD Bst.

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Beast Master » DD Bst.
DD Bst.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-13 14:30:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ericcheco said:
For the MAIN weapon, what do you think would be the main axe of choice? I know how to gear up a warrior double axe, but it seems slightly different with BST because of the extra veriety of axes at your disposal.
Pretty sure Tiger answered this one. Pre-Primal Rend I'd go with Maneater.
By Helix 2010-05-13 14:35:51
Link | Quote | Reply

That's cool, so it's a bad combination. What would you guys then recommend I change/replace?

I keep three axes with me all the time, Juggernaut, maneater and woodville. And yes, I have primarily geared for WS's that was the plan anyway as Rampage, Calamity, Mistral and Decimation are all str based

I'm all ears, and yes "I AM" asking for advice now. I don't see me getting my mythic, relic or temperence anytime soon and I haven't started a magian's weapon, figged I'd wait till everyone was out of the way.

I didn't think it was so horrible, in campaign I usually hit for 60 to 70 per axe swing and often get some pretty nice rampage damage...700ish at low 100+ tp and 900+ up to 4 digit's occasionally at 250 to 300tp. It's really the only time I truly DD and I have all my filters on in Campaign so I really only occasionally see other ppl's WS damage and from what I have seen, it didn't seem so bad...but hey, I am open for advice now...you got me thinking. Yes I do believe there is no wrong way to play Bst, but if I can pull more damage, I'm cool with that.
 Bahamut.Ericcheco
Server: Bahamut
user: Checo
By Bahamut.Ericcheco 2010-05-13 14:41:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Tp

WS - rampage

Im not sure about primal rend, havnt seen too much of it at all tbh with you. I kn ow rampage can put out the numbers i want to see.

Can primal rend biuld up to be as potentaly devistating as rampage?
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-05-13 14:43:13
Link | Quote | Reply

The good thing about Primal Rend is that it's magic damage and can't miss. So it obviously has situational uses.

Whether that justifies carrying around MAB gear on a job with no other use for it, is up to you.
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
Server: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-05-13 14:48:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Primal Rend is pretty consistent damage. For instance on Goobbues in the tree you can expect anywhere from 670-740 depending on the level of the mob, your CHR and MAB (see my Primal Rend set on the previous page for a gear reference). It is prone to magic resists of 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16. It is also affected by MDB. Aura Pots in Sky are RDM and have innate MDB which drastically reduces your Primal Rend damage. When magic shield is up it then zeros the damage.

In my experience with the WS, normal resists are rare. Also depending on the mob (think evasive THF or NIN w/ shadows down) you can put up more consistent damage with it vs a multi-hit Rampage.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-13 14:48:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Turban over Askar for TP, Suppanomimi over Pixie since you're /NIN (Assault Earring for TP when not /NIN), should probably Rampage in that Hauberk +1, use the appropriate Sea gorget for WS, Aurum Sabatons over NQ Dusk, toss the Juggernaut.

I've seen some pretty impressive Primal Rends, I'll do up a sample set and see what I get for damage in a bit. Even if Rampage does more damage, the fact that you're using two OAT axes instead of one means you'll be WSing more often and thus doing more damage overall on anything that doesn't have high MDB.

EDIT: TP in Blitz when hitrate is capped.
 Unicorn.Rilu
Server: Unicorn
user: Rilu
By Unicorn.Rilu 2010-05-13 14:54:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Aurilius said:
I'm still a few blobs away from finishing my punisher, but I will agree with Veg on this one. You're better off getting the punisher and not using a Ridill.

I agree - if Bst was your main meriting job, then i'd get punisher. Problem is, I rarely, if ever, merit on my Bst - usually its Warrior or Bard.

also, I disagree with the statement that "Just because your BST doesn't mean that you can just be a noob and no one can say anything about it. That "DD BST" setup you just gave out is the reason alot of BSTs get a bad name in terms of party's"

His gear isn't optimal, but it works for him, and thats all the OP asked for. the OP can decide whether it works for him/her or not. What gives Bst a bad name are the people who don't know how to use their pets correctly, and don't know how to control their pets (where I feel Bst really shines in a pty scenario), not ones gear. If there is one thing i've learned in the 7 years I've been playing this game, it's that gear in no way makes the player. Gear helps, but can never disguise a crappy player; yet, a decent to good player can still perform well with decent and not optimal gear.

Like me for instance, I use Khimaira Gamashes as my feet piece - because I have them a friend signed them for me. Aurum Sabatons probably would be more optimal for that slot (+Dex and 2% haste), but I don't have them nor have any desire to get them (strictly cause they are ugly). Hopefully that doesn't put me in the "Gives bst a bad name" group, because I feel my Bst can do a decent job.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-05-13 14:54:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Turban vs askar won't be as cut and dry with low base dmg weapons and no access to hasso.
 Garuda.Aurilius
Server: Garuda
user: Aurilius
By Garuda.Aurilius 2010-05-13 15:00:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Even if BST isn't your main meriting job (which it's not for me either) you can still get Punisher. There's no limit placed on how many magian weapons you can unlock, and I don't know about other places but half the key items go freelot in my shell because people aren't doing the trials.
 Bahamut.Ericcheco
By Bahamut.Ericcheco 2010-05-13 15:02:42
Link | Quote | Reply

it will probly change to a.torque,
also i have no more space for weapon merits, for that reason, i dought i will cap the acc/hitrate
i dont think the sea torque would work for rampage, over a torque or the chiv chain, maybe fore primal rend but, i might be sticking to rampage.

yeah the dusk feet are just a filler, i was looking for something to use as a replacement, aurum seems like the best fit.

Im trying to aviod using a sea weapon, reason being...im lazy and those virtue stones run out fast. What would be a suitible replacement for that temperance axe? Maneater+Jugg, Maneater+Woodsville, Maneater+(that tpbonus axe)
By Helix 2010-05-13 15:06:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, maybe this will make more sense to you guys why I have this mish-mash of stuff. I don't have Salvage or sky access yet, I'm close but not yet. I still need Black Coffin for Salvage and I'm still working on frag's for Sky.

I soloed all the way up as /whm (you try to not outdamage your pet in that situation) so when I started doing Campaigns as /nin, I tried to focus on the best WS gear I could find thru AH or whatever quests/missions I could solo. So...there you have it.

Yes I did take offense at first, but hey....whatever...if I can do better, I wanna know what I can do.

Thanks

and P.S.

I really wasn't giving advice, I was saying what I used and why it made sense to me.
 Unicorn.Ninetales
user: Azulmagia
By Unicorn.Ninetales 2010-05-13 15:06:57
Link | Quote | Reply

How does Punisher/Temperance actually compare to Martial/Temperance in overall DoT? I'm already about sick of ToM and I'm currently spamming Martials for augments, hoping for +CHR or +MAB. The extra 100% TP seems to help damage quite a bit.

My current Primal Rend build:

It's not super, there are some obvious improvements to make. I need KO, Lyricist's Gonelle (the Smilod. has CHR+1 aug), Volunteer's Nails (0/6 on them ; ;), and some better rings. Maybe a Novio sometime down the road.

As for Askar vs. Turban, I use Turban in merits. I eat Tuna Sushi for CHR and Acc, so Acc isn't really a big deal.

Also, Ericcheco, multi-hit and CHR+7 make Temperance Axe pretty much the #1 axe you can use. Martial only works in main-hand as well, so Maneater/Martial is a bad choice.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-13 15:10:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Turban vs askar won't be as cut and dry with low base dmg weapons and no access to hasso.
If it's solo I'd agree, especially as Askar has defensive stats which might prove beneficial. However, in the context of meripos and other buffed setups Turban is more than likely preferable. I realize BST doesn't find itself in these situations often and thus you could probably justify it, but for the specific situation mentioned in the OP I'd use Turban.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-13 15:13:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ericcheco said:
i dont think the sea torque would work for rampage, over a torque or the chiv chain, maybe fore primal rend but, i might be sticking to rampage.
You'd be wrong. Sea torques grant 10 accuracy to all hits (more than either piece you listed) and 0.1 fTP to Rampage is a 2.8% boost to damage (which neither piece matches via STR/attack). I'm pretty sure Uggalepih Pendant is better for Primal Rend when active due to the innately high fTP, but I'm not sure right off hand what you'd use if it's not active.
Quote:
Im trying to aviod using a sea weapon, reason being...im lazy and those virtue stones run out fast. What would be a suitible replacement for that temperance axe? Maneater Jugg, Maneater Woodsville, Maneater (that tpbonus axe)
Probably Fendoir. That said, stones are really easy to get...
 Bahamut.Ericcheco
By Bahamut.Ericcheco 2010-05-13 15:15:26
Link | Quote | Reply

also, i have busho earring, dont think i want to change that for the suppa :/
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-05-13 15:19:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Ninetales said:
It's not super, there are some obvious improvements to make. I need KO, Lyricist's Gonelle (the Smilod. has CHR+1 aug), Volunteer's Nails (0/6 on them ; ;), and some better rings. Maybe a Novio sometime down the road.
Unless you plan on leveling BLM, SCH or RDM I really wouldn't even bother thinking about getting a Novio. It does increase the damage of your Primal Rend, but does it increase it ~15m gil worth? Nope.
 Unicorn.Ninetales
By Unicorn.Ninetales 2010-05-13 15:21:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
Unless you plan on leveling BLM, SCH or RDM I really wouldn't even bother thinking about getting a Novio. It does increase the damage of your Primal Rend, but does it increase it ~15m gil worth? Nope.
Would be nice for my Eyes On Me build, too.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-13 15:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ninetales said:
How does Punisher/Temperance actually compare to Martial/Temperance in overall DoT? I'm already about sick of ToM and I'm currently spamming Martials for augments, hoping for +CHR or +MAB. The extra 100% TP seems to help damage quite a bit.
Put it this way:

Punisher out-DoTs Martial by a decent margin (~23%, down to ~12% when you add the existance of an offhand weapon)
Punisher/Temp has significantly higher WS frequency than Martial/Temp (~20%+)
Martial Axe is only a 6.25% boost to Primal Rend damage

EDIT: Ohai Azulmagia!
 Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn 2010-05-13 15:31:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Does primal Rend really outdo rampage? I know the magian weapons don't have the best base DMG but they are decently high iirc. I don't know i just never seen a decent PR number on anything worthwhile short of an NM type elementals(with appopriate gear) :X
Then again my experience with bst is really limited with having other jobs available. Also i was under the impression that you get a hefty resist rate on anything reaching IT levels that made it even worse.
 Unicorn.Ninetales
By Unicorn.Ninetales 2010-05-13 15:32:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Put it this way:

Punisher out-DoTs Martial by a decent margin (~23%, down to ~12% when you add the existance of an offhand weapon)
Punisher/Temp has significantly higher WS frequency than Martial/Temp (~20%+)
Martial Axe is only a 6.25% boost to Primal Rend damage
*GROAN!* Really not looking forward to doing that... reeeeally not...

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ohai Azulmagia!
I hath been exposéd!

Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn said:
Does primal Rend really outdo rampage? I know the magian weapons don't have the best base DMG but they are decently high iirc. I don't know i just never seen a decent PR number on anything worthwhile short of an NM type elementals(with appopriate gear) :X
Then again my experience with bst is really limited with having other jobs available. Also i was under the impression that you get a hefty resist rate on anything reaching IT levels that made it even worse.
You shouldn't get too many resists with a good build. Having used both extensively, I find Primal Rend to be more consistent than Rampage overall. Though for mega bosses and HNMs, you'll be a bit more hardpressed to land it.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-13 15:38:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ericcheco said:
Tp

WS - rampage

Im not sure about primal rend, havnt seen too much of it at all tbh with you. I kn ow rampage can put out the numbers i want to see.

Can primal rend biuld up to be as potentaly devistating as rampage?

Helix said:
Also, maybe this will make more sense to you guys why I have this mish-mash of stuff. I don't have Salvage or sky access yet, I'm close but not yet. I still need Black Coffin for Salvage and I'm still working on frag's for Sky.

I soloed all the way up as /whm (you try to not outdamage your pet in that situation) so when I started doing Campaigns as /nin, I tried to focus on the best WS gear I could find thru AH or whatever quests/missions I could solo. So...there you have it.

Yes I did take offense at first, but hey....whatever...if I can do better, I wanna know what I can do.

Thanks

and P.S.

I really wasn't giving advice, I was saying what I used and why it made sense to me.

With no sea or sky, on the TP set i'd recommend replacing torque with PCC/Chiv chain, turban's fine if you don't have askar, replace brutal earring with assault earring, and replace byakko's with oily trousers or dusk trousers. replace rajas/iota with two woodsmans or snipers.

for ws, replace brutal earring with assault earring, hecatomb cap with optical hat or MKD head, heca mittens with spiked finger gauntlets or fourth division gauntlets, woodsman's or flame rings, it's debatable(probably flame), i think. I'd suggest virtuoso belt for ws, and keep the pcc on. oh, and replace hecatomb leggings with rutter sabatons

as for primal rend... no idea, i'm not a bst
 Bahamut.Ericcheco
By Bahamut.Ericcheco 2010-05-13 15:41:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Bahamut.Ericcheco said:
Tp WS - rampage Im not sure about primal rend, havnt seen too much of it at all tbh with you. I kn ow rampage can put out the numbers i want to see. Can primal rend biuld up to be as potentaly devistating as rampage?
Helix said:
Also, maybe this will make more sense to you guys why I have this mish-mash of stuff. I don't have Salvage or sky access yet, I'm close but not yet. I still need Black Coffin for Salvage and I'm still working on frag's for Sky. I soloed all the way up as /whm (you try to not outdamage your pet in that situation) so when I started doing Campaigns as /nin, I tried to focus on the best WS gear I could find thru AH or whatever quests/missions I could solo. So...there you have it. Yes I did take offense at first, but hey....whatever...if I can do better, I wanna know what I can do. Thanks and P.S. I really wasn't giving advice, I was saying what I used and why it made sense to me.
With no sea or sky, on the TP set i'd recommend replacing torque with PCC/Chiv chain, turban's fine if you don't have askar, replace brutal earring with assault earring, and replace byakko's with oily trousers or dusk trousers. replace rajas/iota with two woodsmans or snipers. for ws, replace brutal earring with assault earring, hecatomb cap with optical hat or MKD head, heca mittens with spiked finger gauntlets or fourth division gauntlets, woodsman's or flame rings, it's debatable(probably flame), i think. I'd suggest virtuoso belt for ws, and keep the pcc on

are we gimping down today?
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-05-13 15:42:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn said:
Yes and no. Primal Rend can out damage Rampage if you are in a non-capped accuracy situation or the mob you are fighting has extremely high defense. It is very consistent damage.

Rampage can potentially do much more damage if all 5 hits connect, low defense mob, double attack*, STR and DEX mods, magic resistant mob, etc.

*I forget if double attack can proc on Rampage (Brutal Earing)
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-13 15:43:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ericcheco said:

are we gimping down today?

if he dosen't have sea/sky, and has no means to kill hnms, yeah, i'd at least want to give him sets that are realistic for him to put together
 Unicorn.Ninetales
By Unicorn.Ninetales 2010-05-13 15:45:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
*I forget if double attack can proc on Rampage (Brutal Earing)
5 < 8, so yes.
 Sylph.Oddin
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-05-13 15:47:31
Link | Quote | Reply

BST don't DD. They tickle the mob while real DDs do the damage. /troll
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-05-13 15:48:29
Link | Quote | Reply

That ain't cool man. Two of my friends died tickling mobs. =/
[+]
 Unicorn.Ninetales
By Unicorn.Ninetales 2010-05-13 15:48:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd like to see BST get Guillotine sometime :\ Probably won't ever happen, though.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-05-13 15:49:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
If it's solo I'd agree, especially as Askar has defensive stats which might prove beneficial. However, in the context of meripos and other buffed setups Turban is more than likely preferable. I realize BST doesn't find itself in these situations often and thus you could probably justify it, but for the specific situation mentioned in the OP I'd use Turban.

Unless your acc is capped in perfect haste gear (including blitz and Tiercel Necklace), then they're about equal. Yes, I'd use turban, but like I said before, it's not as cut and dry.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-05-13 15:52:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd probably use Haub on BST for Rampage instead of Osode.