Obi, How Affect ?!

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Obi, How Affect ?!
Obi, How Affect ?!
First Page 2
 Cerberus.Nexxus
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Orions
By Cerberus.Nexxus 2010-05-08 01:41:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello,

I'd like to know, How Obi affect our spells ?

I'm not sure about breath spells, The Fire Obi one (Ken Obi?) affect Heat Breath?

Does the Light one affect our healing spells, our sleep based light spells ? same as dark.

and what about others obi?

In the futur, if Obi work great, we could have a use of /sch, 99blu/50sch, and use storm abilities ?!
[+]
 Asura.Zekky
Server: Asura
user: Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2010-05-08 01:50:15
Link | Quote | Reply

The light obi does indeed work for cures on lightday and light weather. It's an amazing piece in Temenos.
By shadower 2010-05-08 02:29:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Never try on Blu spells but with correct day/weather those Obies will make ppls O.O "I didn't know you could do that much dmg" (well depend on your setup/gears too...I can say I got every piece of gears that other blm dream to get) I'm hume blm and still make a lot of other Taru blm shame with my nukes :)
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-05-08 02:40:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Sch storm abilities will trigger Obi latents. I myself, use the thunder and ice ones on 75 sch to boost my nukes +10% dmg..they are amazing. I'm not sure if it boosts magic accuracy though, I think its just potency. But it should work for breaths
 Caitsith.Katas
Server: Caitsith
user: Katas
By Caitsith.Katas 2010-05-08 03:16:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Just brought obi's up to friends on vent within the last week for blu spells. As I do not have any obi's yet, attempting to attain and test. Dark Obi would be good as well for mp drainkiss as acc is huge, but not a single thread on if it affects Macc yet though blms tell me they see differences in dyna with drain and aspir. If any information out there pls pm me, otherwise back to farming organs.
 Caitsith.Katas
By Caitsith.Katas 2010-05-08 03:22:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Another question I forgot to add, the new VMN earring (Hirudinea Earring) enhances Drain and Aspir, will it work the same for the hp drain and mp drain spells....
 Odin.Phaedrus
Server: Odin
By Odin.Phaedrus 2010-05-08 04:05:47
Link | Quote | Reply

In my experience on Black Mage, using the Hyorin (ice) obi and Rairin (thunder) obi, it seems that they only affect the potency of my spells, there seems to be no positive effect on the accuracy of spells. I also tested the Hyorin Obi's effect on the accuracy of bind, and I found that bind was resisted more often (by aura statues in sky) when I was wearing the obi, compared to when I wore my normal INT belt. Pack on magic accuracy gear in other equipment slots, however, and the obi will love you long time :)
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-05-08 04:32:26
Link | Quote | Reply

ya, its all about potency+ not magic acc, and katas, do you mean like digest and such? no, the "drain" and "aspir" are in quotes on that earring if i recall, so it only affects drain 1 and aspir 1
 Caitsith.Katas
By Caitsith.Katas 2010-05-08 04:38:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Worth thinking outside the box from time to time, thanks for the info.
 Asura.Wyrd
user: kylericks
By Asura.Wyrd 2010-05-08 06:31:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually have used BLU/SCH a lot in campaign. This led me to get heavily back into BLU and bring it to some dynamis. I have managed with the dark obi to MP Drainkiss for around 180 when I was apparently un-resisted.

Also light obi with light weather makes cures stupid awesome.
By Raldo 2010-05-08 10:48:34
Link | Quote | Reply

1. Obis are awesome, but I'm pretty sure they'll only affect your elemental/healing spells and probably the accuracy of debuffs (i.e. anything but your physical spells). As the OP stated, however, I don't currently know if obis affect Breath Attacks.

Caitsith.Katas said:
Another question I forgot to add, the new VMN earring (Hirudinea Earring) enhances Drain and Aspir, will it work the same for the hp drain and mp drain spells....
Ifrit.Eikechi said:
no, the "drain" and "aspir" are in quotes on that earring if i recall, so it only affects drain 1 and aspir 1
Earring is BLM/DRK/SCH only anyway... :/
 Fairy.Basilo
Server: Fairy
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-05-08 11:14:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Phaedrus said:
In my experience on Black Mage, using the Hyorin (ice) obi and Rairin (thunder) obi, it seems that they only affect the potency of my spells, there seems to be no positive effect on the accuracy of spells. I also tested the Hyorin Obi's effect on the accuracy of bind, and I found that bind was resisted more often (by aura statues in sky) when I was wearing the obi, compared to when I wore my normal INT belt. Pack on magic accuracy gear in other equipment slots, however, and the obi will love you long time :)

Not sure weather I agree with this or not. (Longtime 75 blm 8/8 obis and many man hours on the job), not saying im right either you may well be right but I am posting because I too want to know for sure.

Few pieces of info:

Drain/aspir/cures too? arent effected by MAB so the obis arent straight cut just MAB bonus;

Anrin obi
[Waist] All Races
DEF: 7 Gain full benefit of
Darksday/dark weather bonuses
Lv. 71 All Jobs

Gain full benefit of Darksday/dark weather bonuses

10% bonus to Dark magic cast on Darksday.
10% bonus to Dark magic cast during gloom ("single weather").
25% bonus to Dark magic cast during miasma ("double weather").
These bonuses stack, allowing for a 35% bonus to Dark magic cast on Darksday during miasma.

Taken from wiki we can assume its ... not just MAB?

I remember few years back when I used to do kited Kirin fights, windsday with furin obi would yield lower resist rates for gravity as blm on him. That could also be placebo effect of me seeing things as perhaps the day alone being windsday was reason for stronger windbased spells.

Same goes for like buffalo and binds in apollyon on iceday soloed quite a few times this year alone. I try to swap between testing hyorin obi vs witch sash in my bind build to try spot any difference I can. But 1 gear swap is really hard to spot anyway.

And again for anrin obi for all sleeps in dynamis.

Only use my Dorin obi for quake2 not slow or rasp, only surin for water nukes and poison2, rairin for thunder nukes and stun. Korin for cures not protect/regen/phalanx, hyorin for ice nukes, bind sometimes not para, furin for wind nukes and gravity, karin all fire spells bar burn and anrin for any dark based spells when weather/day is same.

Problem is blm already has very low int and mnd really in enfeeb build, 300ish skill 77+35ish int with food and 15macc in my enfeeb build roughly, losing witch sash for obi is a gamble and no1 really knows correct answer.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2010-05-08 11:48:57
Link | Quote | Reply

to my knowledge, obis don't affect magic accuracy, but i'm not sure about this.

and it's not calculated as MAB, it's a straight percentage, like elemental staves.
 Fairy.Basilo
Server: Fairy
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-05-08 11:56:59
Link | Quote | Reply

"so the obis arent straight cut just MAB bonus"

I said this already^^

And yes I guess you could say its like elemental staves meaning they would apply accuracy to the spell landing too like staves do, we buy hq staves over nq because hq yield lower resist rates.

But stil no1 is 100% sure regarding macc and obis its a different stat, we could consider elemental staves/obis "potency" to be a combination of macc and mab.

Either way its not conclusive enough that logic so I tend only to use elemental obis for nukes/aspir/drain and not enfeebs.
 Unicorn.Ninetales
Server: Unicorn
user: Azulmagia
By Unicorn.Ninetales 2010-05-08 11:58:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Obis will not increase the damage done by breath spells. They are HP modded, not MAB modded.
[+]
 Caitsith.Katas
By Caitsith.Katas 2010-05-08 14:46:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Aside from Breath attacks these could be very useful. Eyes on me or Mindblast against Wyrm Bcnm could be ridiculous or other dragons, among other things. If we could ever get Lowing to stick let alone land on Kirin or other high regen mobs could be ridiculous in itself. I myself cannot get it to stick at all ever to any worth while HNM.
 Leviathan.Abriel
Server: Leviathan
user: Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-08 15:45:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Ninetales said:
Obis will not increase the damage done by breath spells. They are HP modded, not MAB modded.

/facepalm
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-08 16:49:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't tested breath spells... however they tend to only be affected by resist hp and enhance breath gear. Things like int/mnd etc MAB/MDB and staffs do not affect them.

There has been plenty of testing done that has been in other obi threads that shows obis/day/weather have no effect on macc. So in fact using an obi will actually lower your macc since you could be wearing idk prope or witch sash or whatever. All those I've done <insert what I think a big aspir number is here> is just well actually what I can get without obi anyways

Weather/day are not MAB.

dmg is: (V+(dint*M)* MAB/MDB * day/weather * staff * magic burst * targets magic dmg taken.

V being the spells dmg value and M being tier. At least for blm. nukes.

Aspir/drain seem only affected by dark skill.

blu nukes have there own similar formula and breath spells are weird being pretty much just hp and enhance breath
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-08 16:56:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Katas said:
Aside from Breath attacks these could be very useful. Eyes on me or Mindblast against Wyrm Bcnm could be ridiculous or other dragons, among other things. If we could ever get Lowing to stick let alone land on Kirin or other high regen mobs could be ridiculous in itself. I myself cannot get it to stick at all ever to any worth while HNM.
You know I've heard about that people doing ES lowing does it really work? I mean I've tested it on mobs using regen moves and it doesn't but I couldn't think of anything I could solo with noticeable auto-regen to try it on
By juro 2010-05-08 17:21:09
Link | Quote | Reply

99/2=49.5 not 50
 Shiva.Daimos
Server: Shiva
user: Daimos
By Shiva.Daimos 2010-05-08 17:35:38
Link | Quote | Reply

juro said:
99/2=49.5 not 50

Even so, the same storm spells are available at 49 and 50, only losing out on Thunder/aurora/void-storms.
 Caitsith.Katas
By Caitsith.Katas 2010-05-08 17:48:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I have talked to some blus on the server recently and they say they have been getting higher numbers with the dark obi, as far as other spells no idea. Obviously they are eye balling it and show no real data, but i have less and less to do in game so ill give it the old college try and get solid data. I don't see breath spells taking a bonus either. Lowing would be disgusting but only if it sticks for a long time. Only regen mobs I can think of is manta and or mandys, I am sure if I looked there is others but 2 that come to mind.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-08 17:55:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I tested leechs and mandys and that didn't work. But who knows it might not effect regen moves and only actual auto regen....

But thinking of a soloable mob without auto-regen outside of whm beastmen... I can't think of any
 Caitsith.Blurr
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2010-05-08 17:57:17
Link | Quote | Reply

my only thought/argument for accuracy is this..

casting a spell on the day its weak to will incur an accuracy decrease right ? right.

casting a spell on the spells day seems to be more accurate than casting on any other day (to me anyway), and definitely more so than its weak day.

if elemental spells are indeed more accurate on their respective days, "gaining the full benefit of x day" i assume means you gain that full accuracy bonus as well. IF there even is one that is >.>
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2010-05-08 18:17:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Blurr said:
casting a spell on the day its weak to will incur an accuracy decrease right ? right.
Not accuracy, just gives a day penalty of -10%.

Meaning casting Fire IV on Waterday would do 90% normal damage 30% of the time. Has nothing to do with accuracy.
 Caitsith.Blurr
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2010-05-08 18:29:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Korpg said:
Not accuracy, just gives a day penalty of -10%.

Meaning casting Fire IV on Waterday would do 90% normal damage 30% of the time. Has nothing to do with accuracy.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Resistance

The elemental day and weather strengthen spells of the matching element and weaken spells of the element it is strong to.

in regards to resistance/accuracy, not potency.

Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-08 18:36:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk the last testing I saw said otherwise. Either way on harder mobs I notice a decently lower macc nuking with say thunderstorm+obi then just nuking thunder with witch sash on. I get more resist when soloing when on thunder/ice days...

Unicorn.Ninetales
Server: Unicorn
user: Azulmagia
By Unicorn.Ninetales 2010-05-08 21:53:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Katas said:

The biggest problem (IMO) with enfeebling on BLU is a simple lack of skill gear. Sure, we have A+ skill like RDM has A+ Enfeebling, but the cap on Blue Magic after gear is 314 (312 practically, the last +2 is stupid) whereas it's 340 (I think) for Enfeebling. For many spells, the best we can do is stack m.acc where we can. (The new Odin/Alexander Torques really irk me... why recreate old torques +1 when there's still no Blue Torque? ; ;)

Anyway, as far as nuking goes, a really good setup for something like Eyes On Me should get fairly few resists. CHR food is limited, though, and for an Obi, you're trading off 6 CHR. But hey, if you've got the m.acc to back it up elsewhere, the damage bonus is pretty great.

Leviathan.Abriel said:
Unicorn.Ninetales said:

/facepalm
Can I help you?

[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-08 21:56:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Ninetales said:
Leviathan.Abriel said:
Unicorn.Ninetales said:
/facepalm
Can I help you?
I think he is facepalming because Obis aren't MAB either while you seem to imply they are
First Page 2