Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Beast Master » BST merit question
BST merit question
 Ifrit.Durai
Server: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
user: olan
By Ifrit.Durai 2010-01-28 10:20:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Should I fully merit Call Beast recast time or Sic recast time? I would do both but I'm doing Killer Effects.
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-28 10:26:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Durai said:
Should I fully merit Call Beast recast time or Sic recast time? I would do both but I'm doing Killer Effects.
I think you'd have to decide that based off of how you play. Do your pets die often? Does your pet build TP quick enough that the Sic recast would help as much? Or would a balance between them work fine?

Edit: My BST is 23, so I may be spouting nonsense. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2010-01-28 10:31:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Call Beast recast can really help out when you are soloing NMs and need a quick Jug -> Snarl. The faster you can possibly do this the safer you'll be. So yes, I'd recommend Call Beast 5/5.

As far as your other Group 1 merits, its kind of up in the air. Tame Recast will also help you out for mis-charms. But maybe you'd like to spam Sic moves more often.

Killer effects only take place if the mob is actively targeting you and in my opinion are a waste. I started meriting my BST when it was my second job after WHM and I need to re-do my merits now.

Group 2 Beast Affinity 5/5 and Feral Howl 5/5 is the way I'd go.
 Gilgamesh.Drkmajik
Server: Gilgamesh
user: krunkj05
By Gilgamesh.Drkmajik 2010-01-28 10:48:57
Link | Quote | Reply

5/5 call beast
5/5 killer effects
5/5 fearl howl
5/5 beast affinity

BST FTW

anything else is a waste of a merit spot
[+]
 Ragnarok.Trixi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Trixi
By Ragnarok.Trixi 2010-01-28 11:10:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Drkmajik said:
5/5 call beast 5/5 killer effects 5/5 fearl howl 5/5 beast affinity BST FTW anything else is a waste of a merit spot
Agree.
[+]
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Server: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2010-01-28 11:12:35
Link | Quote | Reply

tame merits seem a waste toss up is between killer effect reward and sic . u can get gear to macro in that reduces reward recast even more annd potency making for good spaming wiht high healing not mention the status effect foods liek the erase. Then you have the sic merits that now dont only reduce sic recast but the timer on ready making it more attractive. As far merit 2s affinty obviously and then feral howl , the regen merit kinda pointless since it so low.

Pet Roborant Removes status ailments
Pet Poultice Stay HHP +5%

and its +45% healing (+46% if get +1) and -10 or 15 sec on reward with proper gear.

Edit: on side note u casn get lot gear to increase pets def and -% dmg gear making for some very strong CCs and few other status enhancing gear like herders
 Siren.Wolfpack
Server: Siren
user: wolfpack
By Siren.Wolfpack 2010-02-01 08:41:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I recently took off my killer effect merits and went 5/5 on sic timer. getting the pet "storeTP" cape had a lot to do with the change. my merits are "feral howl", "call beast timer", "sic timer" and "beast healer". Beast healer is not really great for solo but if ur pet is sharing hate should be able to get the full effect than use another biscuit. Than again i am always thinking about changing it.

side note: my malamute has the same nose as your mal/husky
 Ifrit.Durai
By Ifrit.Durai 2010-02-01 09:18:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Cool! That actually isn't my husky- I used that avatar before I got mine.

Here she is!
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2010-02-01 09:22:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Permission to derail to compliment your awesome dog and avatar? THANKS and holy *** she's cute.
 Cerberus.Geldric
Server: Cerberus
user: Geldricv2
By Cerberus.Geldric 2010-02-01 09:25:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Durai said:
Cool! That actually isn't my husky- I used that avatar before I got mine. Here she is!

Sever it's head off and take pictures.
Also; werewolf~
 Cerberus.Valmur
user: Valmur
By Cerberus.Valmur 2010-02-01 13:03:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Noooo I want that puppy so cute! <3
 Ifrit.Durai
By Ifrit.Durai 2010-02-01 13:19:53
Link | Quote | Reply

More for the masses!

Her favorite toy (deceased)

Her first bath

Her Halloween costume and her Homer house shoes (deceased)

More recent picture

Seraph.Xdudemanx
Server: Seraph
user: xdudemanx
By Seraph.Xdudemanx 2010-02-01 13:20:34
Link | Quote | Reply

i went 5/5 on beast affinity first and started to spread around my merits..think im gonna toss the rest i get into feral howl and call beast because that seems to fit best for me
edit: to answer the question id say call beast i suppose but i know a couple bsts that have killer effects capped and thats about it lol..i mean its nice when u miss a charm and the mob sits there intimidated...so hell cap them both or maybe near cap and try out others to see what will work best for u
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [94 days between previous and next post]
 Carbuncle.Venion
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Venion 2010-05-06 18:17:56
Link | Quote | Reply

As some have said its based entirely on what you use BST for. I'd go with Reward 5/5 over Call Beast 5/5 myself. With a good reward build you can give your pet a nice jump in HP every 1:05 seconds with full merits and Bison/Khimaira Bonnet. This seems like a better investment to me since you can keep your pet alive long enough for your Call Beast timer to be up unless it is being destroyed incredibly fast which means your Call Beast merits probably wont save you anyways.

Another thing that makes Reward more attractive to me is that its not a Jug Pet only merit, you can use it on charmed and called beasts alike. Its not quite as useful with charmed pets due to their disposable nature but if there's not a new pet around to toss at whatever your fighting it can give you some breathing room to hunt down another.

Of course, if you don't want to throw pet food at your pet or invest in a good Reward set then Call Beast might be more beneficial for you.

::Edit:: Didn't pay close attention to thread date.
 Cerberus.Manwae
Guildwork Premium
user: manwae1
By Cerberus.Manwae 2010-05-06 18:52:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Like others have said it is all about play style. I did 5/5 call beast, 5/5 reward in group 1.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-05-06 19:29:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
Call Beast recast can really help out when you are soloing NMs and need a quick Jug -> Snarl. The faster you can possibly do this the safer you'll be. So yes, I'd recommend Call Beast 5/5.

As far as your other Group 1 merits, its kind of up in the air. Tame Recast will also help you out for mis-charms. But maybe you'd like to spam Sic moves more often.

Killer effects only take place if the mob is actively targeting you and in my opinion are a waste. I started meriting my BST when it was my second job after WHM and I need to re-do my merits now.

Group 2 Beast Affinity 5/5 and Feral Howl 5/5 is the way I'd go.

At least one Killer Instinct Merit is very nice to have so you can argue the use of BST Endgame. I went 5/5 Simply because Feral Howl is slightly more useless than Maxing Killer Effect. I've never had the Terrorize Land on anything higher than EP, It might have to do with a stat though. I wouldn't argue Beast Affinity, except with the Level Cap increasing, I don't know if that will help anymore (The primary reason to Beast Affinity is for Funguar 75)

Just to expand on Killer Instinct.

Maxed it is 1min Duration(Default) but 5minute recast. So every 4mintue cooldown from wear, giving you 1 minute of Damage(Straight Damage bonus of 15%, including Magic Atk) and Defense. With proper Jug pet selection, this can be a powerful weapon in zerg situations. Examples:

Use a LIzard and Killer Instinct before King Vinegarroon Rush.

Use Funguar Familiar and Killer Instinct before a Kirin Zerg.

Summon a Courrier Carrie And Killer Instinct the Black Mages during Blobdingnag for 15% Magic Damage bonus.

Charm a Bird and Use Killer Instinct on Recast While fighting Krabkatoa for the Same Effect (Very nice for Low man)