Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Misc Blue Magic Questions
Misc Blue Magic Questions
 Asura.Snapster
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Mojopojo
By Asura.Snapster 2023-07-08 01:30:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I have questions about some blue magic spells that I hope someone knows the answers to.

There are several spells with "Accuracy varies with TP" in their description. Some weapon skills (Sidewinder, Slugshot, Pentathrust at one point) had similar descriptions and incurred accuracy penalties. Is it known if any of the following Blue Magic spells suffer from a similar disadvantage?

Disseverment
Terror Touch
Asuran Claws
Empty Thrash
Goblin Rush
Spinal Cleave
Jet Stream
Bludgeon

Heavy Strike has a verified accuracy penalty but does not have "Accuracy varies with TP" in its description.

Similarly, there are several spells with "Chance of critical hit varies with TP" in their description.

Foot Kick
Power Attack
Quadrastrike
Screwdriver
Sickle Slash

Can these weapon skills crit without Chain Affinity?

Lastly, Acrid Stream and Blazing Bound use the player's Magic Defense Bonus to increase their damage (instead of Magic Attack Bonus). Do we know if the mob's Magic Defense Bonus (or Magic Attack Bonus) is used when determining the damage? I also noticed that both spells lack secondary mods (at least according to https://wiki.ffo.jp). They are both Voragean spells. Leafstorm is another spell that lacks secondary mods (according to the JP Wiki). Although it is not a Vorageon spell, it was added on the same update as the other two. Has anyone noticed this spell scaling on MDB instead of MAB?

Thanks!
 Asura.Bynebill
user: Autocast
By Asura.Bynebill 2023-07-08 02:25:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Physical spells that have a TP mod use said TP mod when you are under the effects of chain affinity and/or efflux as well as Azure lore.

Chain affinity will cause the ability to consume all of your current TP, which is used to determine the boost it gains from TP, Efflux and Azure lore simply give the spell a TP bonus and do not consume your actual TP.

For example The physical spell tourbillion has defense down duration varies with TP, If you use tourb without chain affinity/efflux/azure lore, it will have a 60sec duration.

If you use said spell with 3k TP + Chain affinity, it will consume your TP and tourbillion will have a 120~ second duration.

If you use Efflux only, the Spell will get a modified duration as if you consumed 1k TP on it (1800 with emp+3 legs).

I believe in most cases Physical spells will not gain any of their TP related bonuses unless you use Chain affinity/azure lore/efflux. IE Quadrastrike chance to critically strike varies with TP = the spell cannot critical strike unless you use one of the JAs.
 Cerberus.Jinz
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Jinz 2023-07-08 04:13:50
Link | Quote | Reply

(1.A) How many Dual wield spells do I need to set for capped dual wield on Blu and /blu?

-Blu/war With:
*Carmine legs +1 DW augments
*Suppanomimi
*Gerdr Belt+1
*Reiki Yotai

(1.B) Blu/nin with the above available gear options

2. Are all dual-wield traits equal? Which spells are the best?
By Shichishito 2023-07-08 06:14:18
Link | Quote | Reply

At the top of this link is a table that shows how much dual wield you gain for each tier. At the bottom you'll find a table that shows you how much dual wield in gear you'll need depending on how much haste you receive and which dual wield job trait tier you've set.

Any tiers of dual wield that you set via BLU point spells do not add up with tiers you get from /NIN or any other sub job with native dual wield, only the highest tier counts. For instance if you sub /nin at lvl 99 you'd receive dualwield tier 3, if you then set tier 1 as BLU you still have tier 3 dual wield, not tier 4, afaik that is also the case for all the other job traits you can set on BLU mage.

The link also provides a list of spells to set for the dual wield trait, the lowest level requirement for one of those spells is 79 so to my knowledge there is no way to gain dual wield from /BLU.

Assuming you're BLU lvl 99 with at least 1200 job points you'd gain tier 3 dual wield just by setting tier 1 due to the job gift, further assuming you're gear haste is capped (~25%-26%) and magic haste is also capped, further-further assuming i'm reading the table correctly, you'd still need 11% dual wield in gear.

You'd reach the exact 11% with carmine legs +1 or Adhemar jacket +1 + Suppanomimi but afaik most people wouldn't sacrifice the defense a piece of malignance would provide for dual wield purposes, instead ppl usually go the suppa + belt or suppa + Eabani Earring route and put up with over or undershooting the 11% dual wield by 1-2%.

If you want to foster a gill seller go for the gerdr belt +1.
[+]
By drakefs 2023-07-08 13:22:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
You'd reach the exact 11% with carmine legs +1 or Adhemar jacket +1 + Suppanomimi but afaik most people wouldn't sacrifice the defense a piece of malignance would provide for dual wield purposes, instead ppl usually go the suppa + belt or suppa + Eabani Earring route and put up with over or undershooting the 11% dual wield by 1-2%.

Reiki Yotai + Eabani Earring = 11% DW
[+]
 Asura.Snapster
user: Mojopojo
By Asura.Snapster 2023-07-08 18:19:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bynebill said: »
Physical spells that have a TP mod use said TP mod when you are under the effects of chain affinity and/or efflux as well as Azure lore.

Chain affinity will cause the ability to consume all of your current TP, which is used to determine the boost it gains from TP, Efflux and Azure lore simply give the spell a TP bonus and do not consume your actual TP.

For example The physical spell tourbillion has defense down duration varies with TP, If you use tourb without chain affinity/efflux/azure lore, it will have a 60sec duration.

If you use said spell with 3k TP + Chain affinity, it will consume your TP and tourbillion will have a 120~ second duration.

If you use Efflux only, the Spell will get a modified duration as if you consumed 1k TP on it (1800 with emp+3 legs).

I believe in most cases Physical spells will not gain any of their TP related bonuses unless you use Chain affinity/azure lore/efflux. IE Quadrastrike chance to critically strike varies with TP = the spell cannot critical strike unless you use one of the JAs.

I was able to find the following information on bg-wiki.

Quote:
Ranged Blue Magic does not stack with Sneak Attack, but can critically hit without outside effect.

Only three of these (Feather Storm, Queasyshroom, and Pinecomb Bomb).

Quote:
Melee Physical Blue Magic spells cannot score a critical hit without Sneak Attack or Chain Affinity if it has the description of "Chance of critical varies with TP."

This supports what you said regarding melee spells.

So I've only got two questions left, then. Do any accuracy mod spells have inherent accuracy penalties, and is something up with Leafstorm?