New Items
users online
Forum » FFXIAH.com » News » Site Update 2017.10.17
Site Update 2017.10.17
Administrator
By Rooks 2017-10-17 11:22:47
Link | Quote | Reply

The site has been updated.

• Ads are currently disabled on forum pages.

• FFXI Gamer Escape wiki links have been removed.

• Due to extensive changes to their skill tree, Shitposters have had their talent points refunded.

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-17 11:32:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Rooks said: »
Ads are currently disabled on forum pages.
O.o

Any reason why that you can say? Is it because you guys are going after these aggressive ads that's been a plague here for a while now?
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
Server: Sylph
user: Funkworkz
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2017-10-17 11:49:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you Rooks
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2017-10-17 11:54:38
Link | Quote | Reply

putting lipstick on a pig, eh?
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-10-17 13:25:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Josiahkf said: »

• Ads are currently disabled on forum pages.

• Due to extensive changes to their skill tree, Shitposters have had their talent points refunded.

Damn it. I had just put another 10k posts into corniness to level it up too.
:0
 Asura.Lokimaru
user: Rocketpop
By Asura.Lokimaru 2017-10-17 13:29:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Hah, GamerEscape, get rekt
[+]
By Kilobyte 2017-10-18 11:13:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Sales seem to have stop updating?
 Ragnarok.Nanaky
Guildwork Premium
Server: Ragnarok
user: Dianetix
By Ragnarok.Nanaky 2017-10-18 11:18:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Kilobyte said: »
Sales seem to have stop updating?

As well as characters/achievements/etc

Something isn't updating/communicating
 Bahamut.Alexcennah
Server: Bahamut
user: digoserra
By Bahamut.Alexcennah 2017-10-18 12:46:27
Link | Quote | Reply

It's Guildwork.

Edit: that is, about character data. I have no idea why sales aren't updating though.
By Justuas 2017-10-18 13:00:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
please feel free to use our site as your one-stop complete information source for all Final Fantasy XI material.
Gamer Escape is a miserable failure.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2017-10-18 15:34:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Ads are currently disabled on forum pages.
O.o

Any reason why that you can say? Is it because you guys are going after these aggressive ads that's been a plague here for a while now?
We can't really "go after" anything like that but there have been quite a few complaints on ads causing issues on the forums. As far as I know, they are disabled while whoever works that stuff out...well, works it out.
[+]
Administrator
By Rooks 2017-10-18 16:42:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Sales data should be restored to action shortly.

I'm not sure why GW suddenly flipped out. I'll have a look later tonight.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Shadowrun
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: SkyFrog
By Quetzalcoatl.Shadowrun 2017-10-18 17:49:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Did I miss some earlier, saucy news about GE? Why were its links removed?
 Bismarck.Indigla
Server: Bismarck
user: Indigla
By Bismarck.Indigla 2017-10-18 18:57:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Shadowrun said: »

Purely a guess, but maybe it has to do with the site falling into stagnation in terms of updates compared to FFXIclopedia and BG-Wiki.
[+]
 Asura.Verbannt
user: Akton
By Asura.Verbannt 2017-10-18 20:17:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Indigla said: »

Purely a guess, but maybe it has to do with the site falling into stagnation in terms of updates compared to FFXIclopedia and BG-Wiki.

I would not say FFXIclopedia is up to date by any stretch of the imagination. (its best used for content up to abyssea.) Information used to get posted there, but with mod's taking things down and posting your content as theirs, no one wants to put anything on there. Not to mention moderators from other wiki's have access to the site, it gets annoying to post on there, hence why BG is more up to date.

Albumen for example is a stub with drops that don't even have proper hyperlinks. Especially bad when you consider this content has been out in its entirety since November of 2015.
 Asura.Lokimaru
user: Rocketpop
By Asura.Lokimaru 2017-10-18 22:43:38
Link | Quote | Reply

They did say "compared to FFXIclopedia". As far as I can tell, nobody is saying FFXIclopedia is up-to-date.
By aeonova 2017-10-18 23:07:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I always understood GamerEscape as being dead-on-arrival since it was just basically a cut-and-paste (or mirrored copy) of ffxiclopedia's info that arrived just when the evolith system (another thing dead-on-arrival) was added to FFXI. The Evolith system was too random, had too crappy of augments, and was just not implemented well so when GE was starting, you were finding contributors not really wanting to do edits on two sites (ffxiclopedia /and/ GE; which functioned basically the same, imo) of a crappy augment system on crappy gear. I know that's when I stopped doing edits.

I'm not going to miss it at all. RIP. Gone and long-since forgotten.
[+]
 Asura.Verbannt
user: Akton
By Asura.Verbannt 2017-10-18 23:23:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Indigla said: »

Asura.Lokimaru said: »
They did say "compared to FFXIclopedia". As far as I can tell, nobody is saying FFXIclopedia is up-to-date.

I brought that up since the first site they quoted was FFXIclopeida. It's more than implied. It's literally the first thing they compared GamerEscape too.

Edited, to include quote
[+]
 Bismarck.Indigla
Server: Bismarck
user: Indigla
By Bismarck.Indigla 2017-10-19 00:40:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I just meant more in terms of activity, the links all directed to each respective wiki's updates over the past month or 500 posts, whichever came first. Clearly none of the wikis are complete, but you can see where contributions are taking place primarily.
 Shiva.Haldarn
Server: Shiva
user: Haldarn
By Shiva.Haldarn 2017-10-19 14:17:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Not being defensive, just curious as I want to make the site better.
Asura.Verbannt said: »
Information used to get posted there, but with mod's taking things down and posting your content as theirs, no one wants to put anything on there.
Is this something that's happened since the GE fork? I'm unaware of the current mods doing so. Happy to look into this if so.
Not to mention moderators from other wiki's have access to the site, it gets annoying to post on there, hence why BG is more up to date.
The GE staff have (unused) accounts, as it's where they began. Why does that make it annoying to post on there?
Albumen for example is a stub with drops that don't even have proper hyperlinks. Especially bad when you consider this content has been out in its entirety since November of 2015.
We don't have a dedicated team with assigned areas of focus, just a collection of independent editors who contribute whatever happens to be their preference at the time, when they're available.
Contrariwise, the guys at BG are killer at keeping their info up-to-date. They have a community behind them who play that up-to-date content and can relay information via the forums that can be source-linked on articles.
FFXIclopedia doesn't have a community, due to *the past*, and all of the end-game players who are of a mind to talk about FFXI gravitated to hang out with people they could chat with over on BG.
There doesn't seem to be any point in copy-pasting BG's info into FFXIclopedia from a practical point of view, and certainly from an ethical point of view, that's nothing any of the current editors are interested in.

Since becoming Bureaucrat there, I and other admin have been trying to grow its community, update missing content, modernise its appearance and fix functionality, whilst ensuring we keep a very different feel to BG. Hoping that feel is beginning to be less 'broken' and more 'useful' as time goes on. Comments always welcome!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Kingofbastok
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Kingofbastok 2017-10-19 15:47:31
Link | Quote | Reply

If I remember correctly, I think GE fell victim to ransomware a few months ago and they lost everything on their wikis. I think they had a somewhat recent backup saved for FF14, so they were able to restore a lot of their FF14 data, but I don't think most of the FF11 data was backed up, so the links pretty much just went to dead pages. That's the most likely reason why Rooks removed the links and not because people just didn't like the wiki.

Before I started using Adblock Plus I personally liked GE better than Wikia because the ads would lag the crap out of my PC and even now with Adblock Plus, it still loads a bunch of videos and junk that I find no use for (at least these videos don't auto-play anymore with Adblock Plus running). BG is pretty much the only wiki I use now unless it has absolutely no info on whatever I'm looking for.
By Felgarr 2017-10-19 17:06:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Can I help you fix the logic in item parser on this site? All folks with Ochain and duradabla should be reflected on their account. :(

Can you ask Scragg to give me access? I genuinely want to help.