Job Pair For New DUO. (Advice)

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Job pair for new DUO. (Advice)
Job pair for new DUO. (Advice)
First Page 2
By Nemn 2017-08-16 23:04:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello all: I know this forum gets so many of these posts a day and I apologize in advance for adding to it. I was just hoping to find some thoughtful advice regarding some job pairings for a returning duo of players. What I am looking for is two jobs that can take us all the way up to t1 in Escha zones. not worries so much about the Story missions and such. A pair that can get us past skirmish and Sparks gear and into stuff with more Acc & Attk. Here are what we were thking:

1) Geo + BST 2) Geo + PUP 3) RDM or WHM + PLD

Looking for some quick and insightful pros and cons on those options. Or maybe one I am unaware of. We are starting from new with no gear or gil! Thanks all.
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2017-08-16 23:42:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually all 3, since Geo is used and so many have it but nice to have your own
Bst is great with pup duo.
Rdm Whm and Pld all pair well. Bst + Whm or rdm is good for AOE killing for CP once you get there.
Rdm can solo a LOT of content below lvl 129 with trust and if you duo rdm + GEO or PLD can melee on rdm fairly easy
[+]
By geigei 2017-08-17 00:59:36
Link | Quote | Reply

No gear and gil screams geo, very easy to gear for a decent support. Next should be a dd, any dd, i want to say blu but it starts to shine when you put some work into it.
[+]
 Asura.Toralin
Server: Asura
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2017-08-17 07:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Blu and geo
[+]
 Asura.Emmajean
user: Sabine
By Asura.Emmajean 2017-08-17 07:55:38
Link | Quote | Reply

A simple pair is PLD and THF. While not initially flashy, the pld utilizing shield mastery to open skill chains for the thf can be an effective way to low man early content.
[+]
By geigei 2017-08-17 09:10:22
Link | Quote | Reply

lolPld for trash?
By zaxtiss 2017-08-17 09:17:19
Link | Quote | Reply

WHM + BST is a great combo once you get the axe from aby Altepa and the legs from missions for bst. it can be really good even if yo don't have alot of gear for it yet.
[+]
 Shiva.Spynx
Server: Shiva
user: auron86
By Shiva.Spynx 2017-08-17 09:56:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Trusts are awesome and can cover most roles in party except for:
  • DD: even a spark gear DD is better than the best DD trust

• Reliable support: you can't select what buffs you want so COR/BRD trust will give you refresh as soon as MP drops a bit and GEO trust buffs depend on your job

For this reason I would use a DD (big ones now are SAM/DRK/WAR/BLU but they heavily depend on gear and JP so just pick your favorite and have fun with it) and a support job GEO/BRD (GEO is easier and requires little to no investment to get started).

Pet jobs work as well (either multiple or 1 + support) and are really fun to play especially with a buddy or 2
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-08-17 09:59:45
Link | Quote | Reply

The power combo for low manning content is BLU + GEO. You can use AAEV tank with a WHM, RDM and some BRDs so generic support is taken care of. 900 skill Dunna GEO can do bubbles that let the BLU do some silly stuff while also having emergency cures / status removals for when trusts are idiots.
[+]
 Leviathan.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2017-08-17 10:05:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, a lot of it is a matter of what you can best complement with Trusts. Practically speaking, the Unity WHMs remain fairly decent in the role, and other support at least remains useful as long as their AI is doing what you want. The tanks can often hold an NM in place if you're trying to nuke from a distance or something.
While Trusts are good/great damage at low level, they largely fall off as players get better gear. Being able to have better control (if not potency) of buffs also helps with that. DD + buffer is a pretty logical place to start.

GEO is a great pick for buffs, though I'd say COR is as well. Both are very simple to gear for buffs, but can be geared (and contribute) a good bit more if you're inclined.

BLU is a prime choice for the DD role, as it's exceptional for low/mid tier content and small groups. It does take a good bit of investment to really see the potential of though.
BST (and I assume PUP as you mnentioned) should also be good. Nuking setups can work very well too for most things.

I'd look at what you two really want to build up. If you can start with jobs that at least share a lot of gear with ones you want to play down the line, then that'd make them logical picks.

Personally though, I would shy away from having one of you on a tank job - for the kind of stuff you're talking about (or even a bit beyond it), DD should be able to handle tanking while still killing things faster than a PLD would.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-08-17 10:32:54
Link | Quote | Reply

GEO-Frailty from a 900 skill Dunna will crush anything you can get from a COR or BRD, and that's before counting their Indi spell. Defense down scales like haste, the more you have the better each additional amount becomes. 900 + Dunna is -28.3% defense down.

At 15% (Dia III from RDM trust)
100/85 = 1.1764, 17.64% increase in pDiff

At 43.3% (Dia III + Frailty)
100/56.7 = 1.7636, 76.36% increase in pDiff

If the use BoG then it's -42.45

At 57.45% (Dia III + BoG Frailty)
100/42.55 = 2.3501m 135.01% increase in pDiff

Then BLU can do it's own defense down with various spells which just further amplifies the effect. BLU can cap it's own magic haste the vast majority of time, and if MG is down then the BRD's March's should make up the 15% needed. BLU multi-attacks enough with sufficient store TP that they can do a solo 3~4 step SC if necessary, or just spam a high damage WS like CDC.

At low tier content BLU + GEO is just beyond broken. It has everything needed to quickly blast through everything up to about CL135.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-08-17 10:38:51
Link | Quote | Reply

do you really need to say '900 skill' everywhere on a returning player post

i would think you of all people would be able to realize the difference between a goal and an autistic fixation on a largely irrelevant #.. the difference vs a 899 skill geo is largely imperceptable and even vs a geo with naked skill and nepote bell you'll barely be able to tell unless you're parsing/measuring

yes, geo should aim for 900 skill.. but jesus

(on topic, also voting for BLU+GEO, though doing GEO+WHM and BLU+SCH would afford you a fair bit more flexibility in both group and duo situations)
[+]
 Leviathan.Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2017-08-17 10:49:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Could just be how you read that post. To me, 900 skill was simply given as a qualifier for the values he went on to present, since Geo Frailty isn't nearly that potent when you can first learn it.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-08-17 11:07:42
Link | Quote | Reply

other post said:
Quote:
900 skill Dunna GEO can do bubbles that let the BLU do some silly stuff while also having emergency cures / status removals for when trusts are idiots.

never mind the constant shouts for '900 skill geo', like they'd even be able to tell the difference
[+]
By Corfios 2017-08-17 11:23:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd recommend DNC and a DD or PLD. Me and my buddy have duo'd lots of the t1 escha mobs this way, not to mention utilizing some of the temp items can be a really great way of helping to bring down some of the tougher mobs.

We usually run Dnc(me), Pup(him), then Whm, Run, Rdm, and DD trusts.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
[+]
 Phoenix.Mikumaru
Server: Phoenix
user: Mikumaru
By Phoenix.Mikumaru 2017-08-17 11:32:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Corfios said: »
I'd recommend DNC and a DD or PLD. Me and my buddy have duo'd lots of the t1 escha mobs this way, not to mention utilizing some of the temp items can be a really great way of helping to bring down some of the tougher mobs.

We usually run Dnc(me), Pup(him), then Whm, Run, Rdm, and DD trusts.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
I dual box alot of content with BLU&DNC. With AAEV, Apuru, Koru, and Joachim you can hit attack speed cap pretty easily. Haste Samba helps alot and both jobs can not onky dish out the pain but can also help keep the party alive if the ***hits the fan.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-08-17 11:37:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
do you really need to say '900 skill' everywhere on a returning player post

i would think you of all people would be able to realize the difference between a goal and an autistic fixation on a largely irrelevant #.. the difference vs a 899 skill geo is largely imperceptable and even vs a geo with naked skill and nepote bell you'll barely be able to tell unless you're parsing/measuring

yes, geo should aim for 900 skill.. but jesus

(on topic, also voting for BLU+GEO, though doing GEO+WHM and BLU+SCH would afford you a fair bit more flexibility in both group and duo situations)

Umm I'm qualifying a specific value because it's fairly easy to reach and puts the effects in context. It can be any value but I was specifically speaking about having 900 skill and +5 Geomancy.

Bit defense there though...
[+]
By Nemn 2017-08-17 11:40:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow This really took off. Thank you all so much for the answers. I guess the last question I had was how do you with little gear manage to tackle the ACC requirements for everything past Skirmish? I assume spamming Ambuscade and then work from there? With UNM's as well for filler pieces? Thanks!

I think we are gonna go Pet class/GEO tho I am looking into BLU. I think the only thing that throws me off BLU to start is hunting the spells. And the REMA weapons seeming to be a MUST for it. This could just be my assumption tho.
[+]
By zaxtiss 2017-08-17 11:43:21
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah there are some good UNM gears for acc and there are alot of good acc food options these days. and ambu is ggood for filler gears as well. main acc gears will prob be AF+2/3 from omen but thats prob going to be a ways away.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-08-17 12:05:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Umm I'm qualifying a specific value because it's fairly easy to reach and puts the effects in context. It can be any value but I was specifically speaking about having 900 skill and +5 Geomancy.

Bit defense there though...
Pet peeve of mine after seeing a friend hassled over their fresh GEO being at 880 or something. The emphasis everyone places on 900 makes people who don't understand the formulae think GEO is worthless without it, or so much better with it that other GEOs aren't worthwhile. Reality is that it's linear and there's no need to put a magic # on it unless someone's asking for a best set.
[+]
 Shiva.Eightball
By Shiva.Eightball 2017-08-17 12:06:51
Link | Quote | Reply

you do not ne e d. RMEA weps for blu to be decent at anything, you should have them for doing Kirin WOC resienjasima helms, blu is a really good "get things done" job because it can nuke ok it can AOE kill stuff better than most and do very good DDing aswell as occasional tank and self heal/buff, that said geo brd cor sch can all pair decently well with it to accomplish anything below 129.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-08-17 12:08:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Nemn said: »
And the REMA weapons seeming to be a MUST for it. This could just be my assumption tho.

They aren't remotely required and the Mythic is just a utility piece. Get some T2 Reisen swords and augment them, until them Nibriu blades work well enough or even Tojil's sword as super low hanging fruit. The reason REMA gets thrown around for DD's is the sheer number of them requiring some sort of dividing line. It's like how university degree's are treated today.
[+]
By Kodaijin 2017-08-17 12:25:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Regarding the GEO and Pet job...
Speaking from a bst perspective, since Geo doesnt have any enhancing spells that directly increase the pets attack, focus on enfeebling bubbles to weaken the enemy. You can also enhance the master's defense or whatnot based on what you are fighting since the master has to be semi close to the pet to fire off a ready attack.

If youre looking at pup, then I am not sure if what i said above applies. I dont play that job.
 Shiva.Eightball
By Shiva.Eightball 2017-08-17 12:30:48
Link | Quote | Reply

honesty if you are doing pup then special Cor is the best, if you want to be 99 then cor is still very good compliment to pup since it gives more specialized buffs for pets.
By oyama 2017-08-20 20:31:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Blu + Geo is indeed one of the best combos for lowmanning stuff, but blu does require quite a bit of preparation to be as good as it's known to be. REMA's are not required at all, but 1200 JP gift makes a huge difference and I would say is pretty much required. Fortunately blu is an excellent cleaving class.

If, for non-pet setups, you wanted to stay away from BLU, NIN and DNC are both exceptional choices for lowman utility-DD and are a little bit easier to prepare.
[+]
 Leviathan.Andret
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2017-08-20 20:49:13
Link | Quote | Reply

GEO+BLU seems like the perfect match for most content. You still need to take sometime to get the needed blu spells but overall the job is fairly strong without super HQ gear

GEO+BST is when you really need to beat that fight. BST can solo most content but having GEO to boost the damage will drastically cut down the time needed.

I would suggest having GEO/WHM + RUN/PLD not as a duo combo but a combo you can build a party around. You might want a full party for certain content and a Tank + Healer/GEO is very easy to build party around.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baozzer
Server: Bahamut
user: baozzer
By Bahamut.Baozzer 2017-08-20 23:57:13
Link | Quote | Reply

GEO is a job for mules.

If I were starting new I would forget about endgame unless you have a generous amount of free time on your hands or you know strong people who are willing to help you for free. Even so it would take you months. I see people on my server who been playing for years but they are solo and never get to end game content.

Those are just my thought but I think you'll enjoy the game more if you focused on nostalgia with jobs you like since trust can easily replace a tank job and WHM, the BRD and COR trust are pretty decent too.

Anyways, everyone is right, it may be band wagon but GEO + BLU is def a monster combo even at the most noob levels. But of your choices, you can not go wrong with GEO + BST, since one of you seem willing to be a GEO mule.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By zaxtiss 2017-08-21 10:56:13
Link | Quote | Reply

dunna + JSE cape from reives club from t2 escha sky
 Leviathan.Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2017-08-21 11:11:54
Link | Quote | Reply

There's the job guide/thread here. A guide on BGWiki here guide on Youtube here and so on.

The quick summary, of course, is that bubbles are similar to BRD buffs in that they key off of the combination of two skills - in this case, Geomancy and Handbell. Effects cap at 900 combined skill, which is why you see that thrown around.
The vast majority of relevant gear there is simply the job-specific stuff, though Incanter's Torque also stands out as a very useful item.

Additionally, like BRD and COR, bubbles have gear that directly enhances them. +Geomancy adds to the effect per point. It's pretty simple though, there are two +5 Geomancy bells (Nepote Bell or Dunna) or Idris has +10.

The other thing to usually look at is Indi- duration.

More or less, just target the job specific gear and Incanter's torque. Offhand, particularly, AF hands, Relic body + legs, and Empyrean Feet (basically, some skill/Indi- duration items and enhanced Bolster duration). There are other good pieces, but those are (I think?) the ones most directly relevant for buffing.

Don't worry too much about not hitting 900 skill off the bat. A major component of that (and why people fussing about it for Job Point parties are kinda being silly) is that Gifts make hitting 900 skill dirt simple. Geomancy and Handbell are C ranked skills, capping at 373 for a fresh 99. Obviously, merits add another 16 each, and then Gifts total a further 36 points in each (granted, the last relevant one being at 1710JP). Still, at that point, you can be at 425 skill in each, naked. Assuming you have a Dunna for 18 Handbell more, and that leaves only 32 skill to make up, which any number of combinations of gear you'd want to use anyway will hit/break it.

So, more or less, that 900 skill goal becomes practically a given with Gifts, so you're better off just getting out there and CP'ing than worrying about hitting it immediately when you ding 99.

There are -many- other sets you'd probably want to build though - Pet regen or damage taken helps a good bit. All the normal enfeebling, curing, nuking, dark spell, etc sets. Conserve MP to stuff in spare slots (Geo- spells are very high cost), DT sets for you since you may be standing in range, and so on.
[+]
First Page 2