Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-07-16 15:04:42
Link | Quote | Reply

'Doctor Who' to get first female lead

Quote:
(CNN)BBC has made history with the selection of the newest star of "Doctor Who."
On Sunday, the broadcaster announced that Jodie Whittaker, star of the British crime drama "Broadchurch," will become the first female Doctor on "Doctor Who."
She succeeds the current star, Peter Capaldi, who announced in January that he would leave after the 2017 Christmas Special.

Whittaker's casting marks an important moment in "Doctor Who" history.
Though the show has had a host of strong female characters -- from Michelle Gomez's The Master and Alex Kingston's River Song to companions like Amy Pond (Karen Gillan) and Rose (Billie Piper) -- no woman has ever portrayed the title character.
"It feels completely overwhelming; as a feminist, as a woman, as an actor, as a human, as someone who wants to continually push themselves and challenge themselves, and not be boxed in by what you're told you can and can't be," Whittaker said in a BBC-released Q&A. "It feels incredible."
Executive producer Chris Chibnall, who takes over for existing head writer and EP Steven Moffat next season, said in a statement that he always wanted the Thirteenth Doctor to be female and that Whittaker was their "number one choice."
"Her audition for The Doctor simply blew us all away," he said. "Jodie is an in-demand, funny, inspiring, super-smart force of nature and will bring loads of wit, strength and warmth to the role. The Thirteenth Doctor is on her way."
Whittaker is expected to first appear in the Christmas Special and take over the role in the following season.
Capaldi has played the role since 2013, after taking over for Matt Smith.
Whittaker's other credits include "Black Mirror," Sky 1's "The Smoke," and 2008's "Venus."
"I want to tell the fans not to be scared by my gender. Because this is a really exciting time, and Doctor Who represents everything that's exciting about change," Whittaker added. "The fans have lived through so many changes, and this is only a new, different one, not a fearful one."
 Asura.Tuvae
Server: Asura
user: Tuvae
By Asura.Tuvae 2017-07-16 15:38:13
Link | Quote | Reply

stopped reading after "as a feminist"
[+]
By Jadey 2017-07-16 16:30:32
Link | Quote | Reply

dr who is a girl but they cant even reboot roseanne as a man smdh
[+]
By Ruaumoko 2017-07-16 17:01:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Jodie Whittaker is a fine actress so my fears are alleviated.

People are going to politicize this to no end, which is sad.
[+]
By Ruaumoko 2017-07-16 17:02:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Tuvae said: »
Need to clarify which wave is being discussed here.

Second wave? Dandy.
Third wave? Sod it.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-07-16 17:03:50
Link | Quote | Reply

people are going to politicize it because it's an increasing trend to do this kind of ***then feed it out to the tabloids to make it into a gender issue

i've never heard a girl that was in touch with reality claim there weren't enough strong female characters in video media, and it doesn't need to be a big deal, but it's a pretty safe bet the only reason the creators did it was to cash in on the publicity from the trend
 Asura.Tuvae
By Asura.Tuvae 2017-07-16 17:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ruaumoko said: »

Second wave? Dandy.
Third wave? Sod it.

Anyone who opens a sentence with "as a feminist" I just totally ignore. I dont understand why people feel the need to shove it down peoples throats. Being a feminist just meas you want equality(or it used to) surely thats just someone everyone should just want regardless, i dont understand why it needs to be announced.
[+]
 Asura.Tuvae
By Asura.Tuvae 2017-07-16 17:14:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
people are going to politicize it because it's an increasing trend to do this kind of ***then feed it out to the tabloids to make it into a gender issue

i've never heard a girl that was in touch with reality claim there weren't enough strong female characters in video media, and it doesn't need to be a big deal, but it's a pretty safe bet the only reason the creators did it was to cash in on the publicity from the trend
I agree, I dont care at all if the Dr is a female or not personally, ive not bothered to watch it since the Tom Baker days. But I definetly think that the choice to make the Dr a female is just to spark the whole gender war thing.
 Bahamut.Soraishin
Server: Bahamut
user: Soraishin
By Bahamut.Soraishin 2017-07-16 17:15:14
Link | Quote | Reply

lol i just happened to be reading a thread in /pol/ about this new doctor who situation, needless to say it was ... mildly interesting

edit: nvm it got 404'd
By fillerbunny9 2017-07-16 17:22:00
Link | Quote | Reply

so I am waiting for the male companion announcement so that the tradition of crappy romance "will they/won't they" that has gone on every season since the 2005 reboot continues. unless of course they decide to go full gay this series. either way, Tumblr will be happy for five minutes before climbing back up on the cross again about whatever imagined slight happens next.

the bigger news is that we are finally getting rid of Steven Moffat, who has been dragging things down since he took over.
[+]
 Odin.Geriond
Server: Odin
user: Gerion
By Odin.Geriond 2017-07-16 17:30:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Second wave? Dandy.
Third wave? Sod it.

Anyone who opens a sentence with "as a feminist" I just totally ignore. I dont understand why people feel the need to shove it down peoples throats. Being a feminist just meas you want equality(or it used to) surely thats just someone everyone should just want regardless, i dont understand why it needs to be announced.
No, being a feminist implies that you actively work towards equality in someway, not that you merely desire it or think it would be fine and dandy.
By fillerbunny9 2017-07-16 17:35:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »

I was actually wondering if the ratings had begun to slip, I know I stopped caring about the show when Matt Smith took over, and stopped watching outright after the finale in the diner.
 Bahamut.Soraishin
Server: Bahamut
user: Soraishin
By Bahamut.Soraishin 2017-07-16 17:35:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Geriond said: »

Second wave? Dandy.
Third wave? Sod it.

No, being a feminist implies that you actively work towards Degeneracy in someway, not that you merely desire it or think it would be fine and dandy.

ftfy no thanks needed
 Phoenix.Erics
Server: Phoenix
user: prophets
By Phoenix.Erics 2017-07-16 18:59:31
Link | Quote | Reply

im honestly not surprised the whole of season 10 was an overtone of focusing on the companion being black, female, and gay. Every single episode had a reference to it, not most, all of the episodes. She isnt the first black companions but tons of references to slavery popped up where it didnt the first time. The whole tone of the season made it the worst one of the reboot.

I even went back and started watching older seasons to remember why i liked it, and i still do like those one. I am hoping the best for the show but if this last season is any indication its just going to be a lot of virtue signaling until at least the 2nd season of her career.

On a side note i wrote the BBC about the unneeded politicization of the doctor because season 1-9 didnt really have it and if there were it was sparingly added tastefully. They told me something along the lines of "We aim to reflect the world as it is and it would be very difficult to put an outright ban (which isnt what i said at all) on these situations", completely ignoring they have done 9 seasons already without addition of such pandering to the SJW crowd. My main grievance is i no longer feel invested in the episodes, every time a social justice theme comes up in dialogue it feels so forced and out of place it just ruins the atmosphere of the episode.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2017-07-16 22:53:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I can finally fap to the Doctor.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2017-07-16 23:31:16
Link | Quote | Reply

most of the comments in this thread make me want to vomit
 Phoenix.Erics
user: prophets
By Phoenix.Erics 2017-07-17 00:29:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
i know right? who didnt already fap to david tennant?
[+]
 Asura.Vienner
By Asura.Vienner 2017-07-17 02:35:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont understand what's so good about this show. Tried watching it and gave up after 3 episodes.
 Asura.Tuvae
By Asura.Tuvae 2017-07-17 03:54:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
Your face makes me think someone already did.
[+]
 Asura.Tuvae
By Asura.Tuvae 2017-07-17 03:57:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vienner said: »
I dont understand what's so good about this show. Tried watching it and gave up after 3 episodes.

I never bothered watching the tennant/smith/capaldi stuff, it seems so childish and lame compared to when I watched them(saying that, i dont know what I would think of the older stuff if I watched it now) I seem to recall a Capaldi episode where he went back to medievil times and i think he drove in on a tank playing electric guitar or something... wtf is that all about? Why would the Dr waste his time doing crap like that? It just seemed to pointless and didnt suit the theme of what the show is about. Too many forced jokes, too much sillyness.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [526 days between previous and next post]
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2018-12-25 04:50:26
Link | Quote | Reply

This new Doctor Who is really getting a tough break because the shows producers are neglecting the epic soundtrack the show usually has :(
 Asura.Tydis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Asura.Tydis 2018-12-25 06:03:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
This new Doctor Who is really getting a tough break because the shows producers are neglecting the epic soundtrack the show usually has :(
I never really thought about that but yeah I am missing the soundtrack, don't mind the new Doctor at all though.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2018-12-26 18:00:41
Link | Quote | Reply

This season needs moar Clara Oswald
 Fenrir.Aladeus
Server: Fenrir
user: Aladeus
By Fenrir.Aladeus 2018-12-26 20:40:37
Link | Quote | Reply

this season was a big waste of time overall. the spider episode was the worst. i havent even watched episode 10 cuz idc, and i wont be watching the new years special. and then waiting 2 more years for more of this garbage.. no thanks. i'll go back and watch the whole river song saga again. now that was a good, well thought out story.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2018-12-26 23:59:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Aladeus said: »
this season was a big waste of time overall. the spider episode was the worst. i havent even watched episode 10 cuz idc, and i wont be watching the new years special. and then waiting 2 more years for more of this garbage.. no thanks. i'll go back and watch the whole river song saga again. now that was a good, well thought out story.
I absolutely loved the River Song saga!

the show does get a bit better towards the end of the season.
I think this new season would greatly benefit if some of the reoccurring characters came back, and not just the Daleks... that and fix this bland soundtrack. the Doctor actress is doing fine i think. so don’t EXTERMINATE the show just yet!