New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Cannot Delevel Back to Craftsman, Please Help
Cannot Delevel Back to Craftsman, Please Help
By microwater888 2017-06-20 02:04:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry if this has been discussed but I ran into a strange issue:

I had 100 Alchemy.

I now have leveled Goldsmithing to 101(while deleveling Alchemy at every increment after Goldsmithing beyond 70).

My Alchemy is at 78.

The Goldsmith Guild Master no long gives me the option to delevel Alchemy straight back to 70 while capped the rank Craftsman.

https://ibb.co/mGUhTQ

Please shed some light on this issue.

Thank you.
 Asura.Queenforever
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Queenforever 2017-06-20 02:51:46
Link | Quote | Reply

How weird but what i do know is u can have all crafts 70 plus 40 to add to one or spread around, so in theoy if u increase your goldsmithing it should delevel the next highest craft ie alchemy as you can only have extra 40 at any time, so what should happen thats i have done in past is when u you get a 0.1 increase on goldsmithing you should get a 0.1 descrease come up on screen for alchemy. That should occur once your gsm is 102 as your alchy is 78 as 102-70 = 32 + 8 = 40(alchy78-70=8) so as soon as u get 102.1 it should start pushing ur alchy down. as you do this talk to guild master as it may then give you option again cap alchy, as at mo you are only 39 over.
 Bismarck.Dreamingfaith
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dreamingfaith 2017-06-20 06:26:39
Link | Quote | Reply

If you started your crafting shield quest then you'll need to complete it all the way through (Phase 1 to 3 maybe), or relinquish the quest. After relinquishing the quest will Guild Master give you the options to cap/delevel sub crafts.

WARNING - You cannot pick up where you left off on the shield if you relinquish the quest in between phases. You'll have to drop the shield and start all over from phase 1.

I do not know if even completing all the way through to phase 3 will give the options. I just complete phase 1, and haven't start on phase 2 yet when I tried to reset my crafting sub. I ended up relinquishing the quest, and then the Guild Master gave me the option to delevel my sub crafting. After that I talked to the crafting shield npc and she said I would need to drop my shield.
-_-
 Ragnarok.Tdizzle
Server: Ragnarok
user: Tdizzle
By Ragnarok.Tdizzle 2017-06-20 09:46:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I may be talking out of my you know what here, but I'll make a guess. First I'd look into what the above poster said about the shield. It shouldnt make a difference if you're finished a stage and haven't started another yet though.

Wall of text that lists what happened to me (read or skip it).

My experience that happened over the weekend that may or may not be of assistance. I had ww at level 69 but at artisan rank (or whatever it is that lets you get to 80. I had alchemy at expert but wasnt 110. I'm not sure if the game is fickle about how it works but I believe it may only give you the option when you're at the 40 over threshold. The reason I say this is, once I hit 110, I thought whoa, i'm 69 at ww and if i do a craft with ww as a sub I may level it up without meaning to so let's cap that bad boy. Now talking to the guild master of alchemy (my highest craft), gave me no option to delevel anything.

Only thing I can think to do is finish ww at 70 and then see. Hit 70 and still no message (i hit 70 on synths right next to the guild master of alchemy-I really wanted him to see). I go to reading forums and asking for ls help after talking to him 10 times, nothing. Wait a few more mins and just talk to him for kicks and he immediately gives me the option to cap ww at 70.

Short story. Hit the 40 over cap and talk to him again (maybe need to zone or wait a few min). Worst case, cap your highest level craft at 110 and with the other deleveled to 70 and try to talk to him then.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2017-06-20 10:36:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Its been a long time since I did this- back when 110/70 was first introduced, I only took clothcraft to 103 and alchemy to 77- (I also have fishing @110, my thought process was to allow me to T3 my own minnows, then fish to fund my final clothcraft push). If I do recall correctly, its not your "main" craft master that delevels a craft, its the guild master related to the craft you want to delevel.

Again, this is at least 3 years ago, so don't take it as gospel, just a possible idea.
 Ragnarok.Tdizzle
By Ragnarok.Tdizzle 2017-06-20 10:51:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Its been a long time since I did this- back when 110/70 was first introduced, I only took clothcraft to 103 and alchemy to 77- (I also have fishing @110, my thought process was to allow me to T3 my own minnows, then fish to fund my final clothcraft push). If I do recall correctly, its not your "main" craft master that delevels a craft, its the guild master related to the craft you want to delevel.

Again, this is at least 3 years ago, so don't take it as gospel, just a possible idea.

It's definitely your main (highest level) craft that you use to delevel the others.
 Bismarck.Dreamingfaith
By Bismarck.Dreamingfaith 2017-06-20 11:01:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Tdizzle said: »
I may be talking out of my you know what here, but I'll make a guess. First I'd look into what the above poster said about the shield. It shouldnt make a difference if you're finished a stage and haven't started another yet though.
Basically its a quest that is blocking the normal NPC (Guild Master) actions. Because they'll keep repeating the ingredients to craft the new crafting shield. Or talk to the crafting shield quest giver npc.

By all mean, I have not verified or confirmed this with anyone else....would like confirmation myself so I know its not just me. Please correct me if I am wrong.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-06-20 11:17:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Completing phase 3 doesnt let you. Same problem

Theres a warning that you wont be able to delevel your main craft when you start a shield. If taken literally, would imply the uncapped subs arent a problem since they wont delevel main anyway. Might just be a mistranslation and intended as a warning that you cant recap subs though. Anyone able to read the jp text?
 Sylph.Gobbo
Server: Sylph
user: Gobbo
By Sylph.Gobbo 2017-06-20 12:17:11
Link | Quote | Reply

microwater888 said: »
https://ibb.co/mGUhTQ

Please shed some light on this issue.

Thank you.

From that picture there, it seems like you were wondering why you have the expert title. I'm pretty sure you will never lose your "rank", just your levels. So in theory you could be an expert in all crafts. I don't think you could actually benefit from this at all outside of being able to buy from the guild points dude which you already would have done to get Expert.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-06-20 12:58:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Gobbo said: »
From that picture there, it seems like you were wondering why you have the expert title. I'm pretty sure you will never lose your "rank", just your levels. So in theory you could be an expert in all crafts. I don't think you could actually benefit from this at all outside of being able to buy from the guild points dude which you already would have done to get Expert.
No, the guild master of your 'main' craft is supposed to allow you to cap any others at 70 and de-rank them to journeyman, preventing skillups that would delevel your main craft.. Having it this way means that when s/he attempts any synth using alchemy above 59, s/he runs a risk of later deleveling his/her goldsmithing.

Unfortunately, it seems there's currently no way to get that dialogue to appear after accepting the escutcheon quest.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Tdizzle
By Ragnarok.Tdizzle 2017-06-20 13:08:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Completing phase 3 doesnt let you. Same problem

Theres a warning that you wont be able to delevel your main craft when you start a shield. If taken literally, would imply the uncapped subs arent a problem since they wont delevel main anyway. Might just be a mistranslation and intended as a warning that you cant recap subs though. Anyone able to read the jp text?

Just a side note. I finished the first phase of my shield (have +1 skill) but didn't start the second phase. I was able to delevel my ww rank from apprentice Sunday. I had to level it to 70 first for whatever reason. I'm thinking you have to have 40 levels over 70 and the skill in question at least at 70. Just a guess, but I didn't get the option at 110/69 but got it at 110/70. (have 2 other crafts at 70 also but never ranked them to artisan if that matters)
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-06-20 13:38:06
Link | Quote | Reply

For me, it's smithing main(110.0) and bonecraft sub(70.0). I don't even remember why I uncapped it. I have finished shield through stage3, turned it into guild master and mewk.

Both guild masters(smithing is weird and has fully functional guilds in both sandy and bastok) tell me to show the shield to mewk(which I've already done) then go back to their normal dialogue text. I am not able to recap my skill.

In my frustration, I leveled bonecraft to 70.1, deleveling smithing to 109.9. Both guild masters still snubbed me. As I was still able to delevel my escutcheon craft, I guess the dialogue when you start the quest is supposed to be a warning about this, but was poorly translated and did not convey the actual meaning.

Pathetic. Should flood OF with bug reports so it can hopefully make it into next patch. Trying leveling bone to 71 out of curiosity more than anything, will update.

Edit: Still nothing at 71. Avoid starting escutcheon without capping your subcrafts off.
 Bismarck.Dreamingfaith
By Bismarck.Dreamingfaith 2017-06-20 13:46:52
Link | Quote | Reply

SE probably left it open ended on purpose for phase 4.
 Ragnarok.Tdizzle
By Ragnarok.Tdizzle 2017-06-20 15:17:40
Link | Quote | Reply

For me, it's smithing main(110.0) and bonecraft sub(70.0). I don't even remember why I uncapped it. I have finished shield through stage3, turned it into guild master and mewk.

Both guild masters(smithing is weird and has fully functional guilds in both sandy and bastok) tell me to show the shield to mewk(which I've already done) then go back to their normal dialogue text. I am not able to recap my skill.

In my frustration, I leveled bonecraft to 70.1, deleveling smithing to 109.9. Both guild masters still snubbed me. As I was still able to delevel my escutcheon craft, I guess the dialogue when you start the quest is supposed to be a warning about this, but was poorly translated and did not convey the actual meaning.

Pathetic. Should flood OF with bug reports so it can hopefully make it into next patch. Trying leveling bone to 71 out of curiosity more than anything, will update.

Edit: Still nothing at 71. Avoid starting escutcheon without capping your subcrafts off.

Yikes. That's ridiculous. I'm guessing it's the open ended nature as there 'may be another quest but there isn't one yet' so you can't actually close it out? Weird, that you're done and it's still giving you dialog to turn it to the other npc. That is the only reasonable explanation I can think of that's hindering you.

Like I said earlier, I'm done with stage 1 but never started stage 2 and was able to delevel and do not get a message from the guild master saying to turn the shield in to begin the next stage or whatever(he does mention the crafter points person and annoyingly tells me how to craft something for one of the add on expansion).
By microwater888 2017-06-21 00:00:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dreamingfaith said: »
If you started your crafting shield quest then you'll need to complete it all the way through (Phase 1 to 3 maybe), or relinquish the quest. After relinquishing the quest will Guild Master give you the options to cap/delevel sub crafts.

WARNING - You cannot pick up where you left off on the shield if you relinquish the quest in between phases. You'll have to drop the shield and start all over from phase 1.

I do not know if even completing all the way through to phase 3 will give the options. I just complete phase 1, and haven't start on phase 2 yet when I tried to reset my crafting sub. I ended up relinquishing the quest, and then the Guild Master gave me the option to delevel my sub crafting. After that I talked to the crafting shield npc and she said I would need to drop my shield.
-_-

That, my dear friend, is the cause and solution. Thank you so much Dreamingfaith. It appears the shield quest "locked" the Expert Rank and the NPC will not give you the option to delevel it. I have now successfully renounced Alchemy down and capped it at 70, which will no longer cost me a painful and expensive delevel of the main craft.

And for the rest of folks responded, thank you very much also, not only I resolved the issue, I've learned a bit more from all of you. Great many Thanks~~~
 Asura.Queenforever
Server: Asura
By Asura.Queenforever 2017-06-21 01:18:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah cool now we all know lol. Thought was abit weird but se likes to confuse us.
By Dsuza 2017-06-23 11:39:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey guys,

I read the thread, and the answer is most likely in here somewhere, but I still would like to ask directly, if someone could be nice enough to take the time to answer:

Right now, I have a Main Craft Capped at 110, and every other sub-craft capped at 70 on Craftsman.

I would like to get the +1 Skill Body piece in one of my subcrafts, so the question(s) are:

If I just trade in the item to become Artisan, just so it unlocks the ability to obtain the body with guild points and I DON'T skill up that craft at all, am I able to recap it down to craftsman? Or will it not let me and I'm stuck with it being uncapped at Artisan?

Thank you very much in advance,
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-06-23 12:32:37
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have not yet started your escutcheon, or potentially are between stages, you can recap it. If you're in the middle of an escutcheon stage or currently caught up on it(with the +2 skill and -60 delay), you would be unable to recap it. How much you skill the craft won't effect this.
By Dsuza 2017-06-23 12:47:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the reply so fast.

I knew I forgot to mention something:

But yeah, I have started the Shield Quest, I have finished Stage 1, and in the middle of stage 2.

So if I understand what you said correctly, if I un cap a sub craft now to Artisan, I won't be able to cap it back to Craftsman at this time, but I WILL be able to once I finish stage 2, before starting stage 3?

Thanks again man
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-06-23 13:30:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Unsure. You definitely can't uncap during a stage, and you can't uncap after finishing stage 3. Someone in this thread was able to recap between stage 1 and stage 2. I would say it's a bit of a gamble, since post-stage1 and post-stage3 are different results.
 Bismarck.Dreamingfaith
By Bismarck.Dreamingfaith 2017-06-23 15:32:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Unsure. You definitely can't uncap during a stage, and you can't uncap after finishing stage 3. Someone in this thread was able to recap between stage 1 and stage 2. I would say it's a bit of a gamble, since post-stage1 and post-stage3 are different results.

I don't think any was able to recap at any phase/stage or in between. Rereading through all the comments no stated that. I believe that the shield quest in its entirety is one long quest with no breaks at all, and locks the Guild Master NPC till they end the quest...which at this time has no ending. Its kind of like missions, there are stopping points, but not really complete.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-06-24 10:29:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Tdizzle said: »
Like I said earlier, I'm done with stage 1 but never started stage 2 and was able to delevel and do not get a message from the guild master saying to turn the shield in to begin the next stage or whatever(he does mention the crafter points person and annoyingly tells me how to craft something for one of the add on expansion).
 Quetzalcoatl.Tesseracta
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Tussell
By Quetzalcoatl.Tesseracta 2017-06-26 05:49:41
Link | Quote | Reply

For clarification~

You need to drop your current shield and abandon the process with the cat in Port Jueno before you can do this.
 Lakshmi.Kingofbastok
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Kingofbastok 2017-06-28 07:07:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I was actually thinking about uncapping some of my crafting mules' subcrafts in order to T2 the last ROE synths in phase 2, but if you can't delevel subs until the shield is completely finished, which who knows when that will be, or worse yet, SE never lets you delevel subs again without dropping the shield first (even when it is fully upgraded), then breaking the caps might just not be worth it at all, even if it would save some time and money. Hopefully not being able to delevel a sub after starting the quest was just an oversight by SE and eventually they'll fix it (if they do, hopefully it's soon). If, however, this was intentional, SE should just force you to delevel all subs to 70 when you accept the first phase because even though that would really suck, you at least wouldn't be able to run into this issue anymore.

This is a little off topic, but it's kind of related to what Dsuza was asking about, so I figured I would just ask here. Does anyone know if you can sign a different guild contract after starting the shield quest? I'm assuming you can't and that it's just like the sub deleveling, but I never tried and I don't really want to switch guilds and then find out I have to start all over on the shield if the game does let you switch, but then forces you to have to drop your shield to progress forward.

This is also off topic, but does anyone know what the -1 shields are for? I was just wondering recently what they're for, since normally, you can just use the regular shield to keep progressing through each phase. My best guess is that they're only used as replacements if you lose the original shield during crafting (getting interrupted during crafting by zoning, getting attacked, etc.), but I don't really know.
 Ragnarok.Tdizzle
By Ragnarok.Tdizzle 2017-06-28 10:17:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll just outline my experience and confirmed of others:
- You CAN'T delevel a tier of a craft if you're in the middle of any stage of the crafter shields

- You CAN'T delevel a tier of a craft if you've started stage 3, regardless of where you are (even if you 'finished' it)

-You CAN delevel a tier of a craft after you've finished stage 1 but haven't started stage 2 (I say this from personal experience). I believe I turned the shield back into the GM then talk to the mithra in port, but didn't zone and get the 2nd dialogue to progress into stage 2, given all i had to do to start stage 2 over the weekend was talk to her / show her the shield, etc.

-Unknown if you can delevel a tier in between stage 2 and 3.

- You must (apparently) have the craft you want to delevel at 70 and potentially your main craft at 110 to get the option to delevel at all. I didn't get this option when I was at 110/69, but once I hit 110 and 70 on the craft I wanted to cap at 70 I received the dialogue. To note, I had to wait approx 3mins after I hit 70 for the option to come up as if it took a few mins to register I met the conditions. I didnt try zoning as that may work. I hit 70 in ww while sitting in front of my alchemy GM.

- I'm not sure about the contracts with each guild. I want to say they have nothing to do with the shield and you can change contracts at any point but cannot have multiple open at a time, but I havent tested this, merely it just seems logical. We know SE isn't always logical though... I think there is a real life day wait until you can begin to turn in items for guild points though whenever you switch. I ran into this when I decided to do alchemy over ww and had the ww contract going.