TP Feeding Without Criticals?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » TP Feeding without criticals?
TP Feeding without criticals?
By FarelTheGecko 2015-11-04 15:43:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, so I've been spending a very long time going through all the Assault missions, I've finally unlocked all of them, and now I can fight Khimaira 14x endlessly, until I learn Tourbillion.

Thing is... when I hit with a critical attack, there's a VERY high chance that its wings will be lowered, forbiding it to use Tourbillion.

I tweaked... tried to lower my DEX as much as possible, and that did not work. I tried using clubs, where my skill isnt capped yet, and even that did not help. Then I tried using BLU/RDM, and while... yes, magic can't do criticals, but I had such trouble TP feeding the beast! All the spells cost so much MP. I use so much up just dropping its HP under 50%. And.... typically "Dia" was the method, but it does not deal any damage, so no TP is fed. I guess I could cast "Stone", but .... eh, this is just a huge hassle, and I wondered if anybody has some tip on how this battle could be tackled.

thank you for all the help!
 Bahamut.Tychefm
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Lyramion
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2015-11-04 15:55:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Wear cursed hexed equipment for -Stats !
[+]
 Asura.Extract
Server: Asura
user: deezydabs
By Asura.Extract 2015-11-04 15:58:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Take merits out of critical hit rate duh
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-11-04 16:04:27
Link | Quote | Reply

If Dia doesn't work, try Bio or Sandspin, or anything magical that deals damage and doesn't have any chance of critical.

Use some decent DD spells (not Heavy Strike) to get him down to around 25%, then switch to lowbie stuff until he uses Tourbillion. Getting it to 25% is the key, he'll use the TP moves every 1000 TP at that point. If you spam weak damage spells earlier than that you'll do like you said and burn more MP more often than he uses TP abilities.

It's a lot less effort than specifically gearing down and hoping that you don't crit - which is probably highly unlikely with the level and stat comparison.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-11-04 16:44:15
Link | Quote | Reply

bludgeon without an ilvl weapon equipped
[+]
 Asura.Azriel
Server: Asura
user: Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2015-11-04 16:47:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Dia all the way.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2015-11-04 17:04:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd like to third dia, or if you need a SJ that doesn't have it, do what Mahayaya said.
Keeping yourself alive shouldn't really be a problem.

Edit: I just saw your comments about dia. I somehow overlooked it. the things that makes Dia an attractive option, as far as I remember, is that it always hits, so it always feeds TP whether it actually does damage or not. that's super wrong; I'm a moron.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Valefor.Kensagaku
Server: Valefor
user: Kensagaku
By Valefor.Kensagaku 2015-11-04 19:32:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally prefer the Salvage Khimairas, as that's where I learned it. AR2 is really simple, and I don't think you can break their wings, so you should be able to learn from there quite easily.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2015-11-04 19:41:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Kensagaku said: »
I personally prefer the Salvage Khimairas, as that's where I learned it. AR2 is really simple, and I don't think you can break their wings, so you should be able to learn from there quite easily.
easy to get to with the added benefit of getting alex.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-11-04 19:52:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface said: »
the things that makes Dia an attractive option, as far as I remember, is that it always hits, so it always feeds TP whether it actually does damage or not.

It actually doesn't give any tp unless it deals damage. But I've heard many people say this so it's not surprising that the misconception is still hanging around.

On the topic of carefully feeding tp, I'd agree with prothe on bludgeon. Bludgeon can't crit, it's cheap as hell and has a very fast recast.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2015-11-04 20:07:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
It actually doesn't give any tp unless it deals damage
I'd like to see confirmation, since I've heard the opposite for like 12 years. not that I don't believe you, since it is totally believable that people are conflating the mob generating TP with dia giving the mob TP, I've just always been told that it gives TP since it always lands. I'd be happy to know otherwise.

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2015-11-04 20:14:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I found it.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-11-04 20:15:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Admittedly, I only have anecdotal evidence from all my spell learning as blu/whm and gathering massive hordes of mobs and dia'ing. I'd love to go out and do a test and confirm for absolute certain but I'm not even subbed at the moment. Work has been too much over the last 6 months and I don't have any time to actually get anything done in the game.

Probably also worth mentioning that this is the case with non-damage debuffs though. If I recall correctly para, silence and such give 10 tp so long as the debuff lands. Edit cause I'm wrong.
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2015-11-04 20:20:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Admittedly, I only have anecdotal evidence
I'm taking BG-wiki and XIclopedia(combined with the fact they they both agree) to be a pretty reliable source, even though they cite no specific testing for this specific question.

That being the case, I'd cast low level magic spells on it like mahayaya said or just bludgeon without ilvl weapons on like proth said. I don't actually have this spell, and I wouldn't seem myself actually using it in most situations now that my UL timer is basically reserved for MG.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2015-11-04 20:21:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably also worth mentioning that this is the case with non-damage debuffs though. If I recall correctly para, silence and such give 10 tp so long as the debuff lands.

pretty sure this is wrong

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-11-04 20:33:53
Link | Quote | Reply

^^; I guess it's been far too long since I've done that. Tried to correct one thing and then talked out of my *** and was wrong about another thing. Go me...

I'll mark that out so no one thinks it's correct.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [123 days between previous and next post]
By KnifeKatRengar 2016-03-06 14:08:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface said: »
It actually doesn't give any tp unless it deals damage
I'd like to see confirmation, since I've heard the opposite for like 12 years. not that I don't believe you, since it is totally believable that people are conflating the mob generating TP with dia giving the mob TP, I've just always been told that it gives TP since it always lands. I'd be happy to know otherwise.
Just go into Ballista, cast dia on someone. Gets no Tp with 0 damage.

Solved.