user: Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2012-08-22 17:29:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Leairc said: »
Sylph.Binckry said: »
Asura.Calatilla said: »
Ive never understood why so many people tp in full mavi
I've never understood a lot of things people do =[

I actually placed more emphasis on skillchaining than actual DPS, simply because when I went to do macro swaps between ws -> phys blu and phys blu -> mag blu, the graphics screwed up on my screen and I couldn't time my burst well at all.

I also thought doing alot of macro-swapping between those functions was a bit too micro-managed. And I just don't like to be anal about it.

But, I've practiced more and figured out how to time the macro swaps more effectively, so it works out ok now--sorta. I still don't like it for trying to burst on some spells that take longer than others, but if someone has some ideas to work with it, I'm all ears.

I wanted to burst Dark Orb and without precise timing, I can't seem to do it. Other spells are the same way, (Leafstorm came to mind), and I have yet to try something like Thunderbolt. (Tho, I'm willing to gauge it's not very feasible to burst that spell, given equipment conditions.)

That's the thinking behind the concept of not wearing haste gear. Also, I never have studied what others do on BLU and just used my own personal observations without reading forums of what other people have discovered, e.g. collective knowledge.

:]
Old trick I used to do with in game macros to solve this issue was first do the SC + MB without swaps a few times and count the timing,
then add a wait and echo to tell me when to start casting to the last macro in each step.
 Bahamut.Dannyl
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2012-08-22 17:40:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually placed more emphasis on skillchaining than actual DPS, simply because when I went to do macro swaps between ws -> phys blu and phys blu -> mag blu, the graphics screwed up on my screen and I couldn't time my burst well at all.

I also thought doing alot of macro-swapping between those functions was a bit too micro-managed. And I just don't like to be anal about it.

But, I've practiced more and figured out how to time the macro swaps more effectively, so it works out ok now--sorta. I still don't like it for trying to burst on some spells that take longer than others, but if someone has some ideas to work with it, I'm all ears.

I wanted to burst Dark Orb and without precise timing, I can't seem to do it. Other spells are the same way, (Leafstorm came to mind), and I have yet to try something like Thunderbolt. (Tho, I'm willing to gauge it's not very feasible to burst that spell, given equipment conditions.)

That's the thinking behind the concept of not wearing haste gear. Also, I never have studied what others do on BLU and just used my own personal observations without reading forums of what other people have discovered, e.g. collective knowledge.

/slitswrists

If you're on PC, just use windower and blinkmenot + spellcast and you don't need "micro-manage" yourself. You're making it harder on yourself and given that + what you said, I have no idea how not wearing suitable TP gear clashes with your "concept"

anyway, carry on.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-08-22 23:56:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol I feel you're trolling. I don't use any spellcast, and I have no problem swapping gears(although may be swapping 0.5 sec slower) You don't NEED any plug-in to swap gears.

MB is just a waste of MP. Focus on DPS is the way to go. A lot of time on some lower def mobs such as birds/rabbit, I just engage, do JA, doesn't proc, do another JA, doesn't proc, by the time it proc after 3~4 tries mob HP already at 5% just by engage and melee, and 1 heavy strike finished it. If you don't bump up your DPS and TP in uncapped haste, by the time when you proc it will be still sit at like, 70% HP? Then you just need to spend more MP to kill it.

Also, SC can one shot EP mobs easily at close to full HP, there are no need to waste MP to MB.

If your BLU isn't well geared enough and can not effectively kill EP mob with just SC and DPS, I suggest it's better to go BST, no offense, but BST is more friendly for ppl not as well geared, as BST in perle can still farm efficiently. And BLU has higher gear requirement to solo coins efficiently.
 Asura.Leairc
Server: Asura
user: Leairc
By Asura.Leairc 2012-08-23 12:48:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, again thanks for the good advice to all. :] I'll check into Blinkmenot. That's too bad some don't understand my perspective and think I'm a troll, but that's not really my problem or emphasis, nor very important, so suffice it to say, I've done alot more reading and got some great info Blugartr as well and asked another friend who plays Blu and actually read some of these forums.

:D Double, Triple Attack. Who knew? I came from the 2004 era ... it was time to retrain the brain.
By Kieron 2012-09-05 19:11:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry for the bump.

I have two questions about the TH Tarutaru Sash (+ Trait of course).

1. If I claim an enemy with sudden lunge or whatever type of magic while the sash is equipped, will I still get the effect of TH2 without having to actually hit it with my sword?

2. If I cast sleepga with the sash equipped, will all enemies who are affected by the spell have the effect of TH2 on them?

If these questions can be answered, it will be much appreciated.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-09-05 19:17:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I believe any action that puts you on the enemy threat table will apply TH.
 Fenrir.Hyar
Server: Fenrir
user: Hyaroraro
By Fenrir.Hyar 2012-09-05 19:18:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Kieron said: »
Sorry for the bump.

I have two questions about the TH Tarutaru Sash (+ Trait of course).

1. If I claim an enemy with sudden lunge or whatever type of magic while the sash is equipped, will I still get the effect of TH2 without having to actually hit it with my sword?

2. If I cast sleepga with the sash equipped, will all enemies who are affected by the spell have the effect of TH2 on them?

If these questions can be answered, it will be much appreciated.

1) Yes

2) Yes

Any move that puts you on the monsters hate list and can possibly 'claim' a monster will throw TH on it, if it is available.
By Kieron 2012-09-05 19:47:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I figured as such with question 1 but was unsure about 2. Thanks a lot for the info guys.
 Bahamut.Cantontai
Server: Bahamut
user: Cantontai
By Bahamut.Cantontai 2012-09-10 13:25:52
Link | Quote | Reply

After one botched attempt I successfully solod Dynamis - Qufim last night. Didn't make a ton of currency as the JA camps got overcrowded, was wondering if anyone has had much success procing magic mobs without massive MP burn? I cycled Sound Blast and a few other low-cost enfeebs, but it seems like procing even one mob is horribly inefficient compared to JA.
 Leviathan.Dragonlord
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Dragonlord 2012-09-10 14:40:18
Link | Quote | Reply

It is horribly inefficient. Magic procs have only a ~5% chance to proc a mob, which is on average 1 per 20 casts. During these casts, you also aren't meleeing, slowing kill speed down.

Ever since the AOE proc rate has been decreased, magic proccing just isn't a good strategy.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-09-10 18:30:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Even with a brd alt to spam horde lullaby every 3 seconds, I would never recommend magic procing. It's terrible... You'll either need to pay close attention to when you enter or find alternate camps for various times to avoid competition.
By maxdecphoenix 2012-09-18 22:28:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said: »
Ophannus said: »
Meh I don't have points for Dark Orb anyway, guess I could set it for the TE farming phase. Think grudge would suffice as long as I have Anrin Obi/Twilight Cape/Chatoyant Staff macroed in?

I used to set Dark Orb for TE farming phrase too, then I found it not as fast as Heavy strike for TE due to longer casting time, and sometimes mobs turn around and aggro while casting. Spells like Memento Mori also takes long to cast. Reset spell after TE phrase done also takes a while.

Note that sometimes mobs around TE seems to spam shell(I think) on the TE, caused Dark Orb to deal slightly less dmg than it should, making it even less useful than Heavy Strike.

Just run in, CA Heavy strike behind other mob and TE, then sneak/invis right away, it's way easier and faster, entire process can be done in 3 sec. I also don't have problem of not getting TE after it's one shotted, I always got TE this way.

What's your HS set look like? STR and Blu skill @? I tried a few HS' @162str 482Blu skill and with efflux up it was around 850~ (about 85-90% of their HP i'd guess). CA+HS was worse. I can add more str, but it was just a thrown together build for trial and error. How high am i aiming for here?
 Sylph.Peldin
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Peldin 2012-10-16 17:56:54
Link | Quote | Reply

New record for me today. 311 total coins in Dyna Valkurm. =) =)
BLU/DNC boxing a BRD/WHM.
Finally made it to the 300+ club =D
Targets were decent challenge: Funguar -> Sheep -> Treants
If anyone cares. Here's my spell setup (seperated by Job Traits):

My TP set:

CDC set:
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-10-16 18:04:28
Link | Quote | Reply

maxdecphoenix said: »

What's your HS set look like? STR and Blu skill @? I tried a few HS' @162str 482Blu skill and with efflux up it was around 850~ (about 85-90% of their HP i'd guess). CA+HS was worse. I can add more str, but it was just a thrown together build for trial and error. How high am i aiming for here?

Late reply but:

Capped BLU skill with full merit. HS set with STR: Toci/STR magian sword/Aias/STR+5 and +6 rings/AF3+2 legs/Athos hands/Cuchulain mantle
everything else are acc stuff. HS with CA sometimes broke 1k, with CA+Efflux about 1.3~1.5k(I think I broke 1.8k once).

Edit: Nvm just did 1.9k yesterday.
 Odin.Creaucent
Server: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2012-10-16 19:00:49
Link | Quote | Reply

If thats against EP mobs thats rather low i was doing around 1.3k+ without CA or efflux.
By Gimp 2012-10-16 19:03:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Peldin. You should replace Winds of Prom with plasma charge for more points since you're dualboxing a brd/whm I only set Winds unless I'm expecting serious erase debuffs needed otherwise I get my +3str and +3 dex.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-10-16 19:18:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I have my brd/whm alt and I still set winds.
By Gimp 2012-10-16 19:41:00
Link | Quote | Reply

for what?
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2012-10-16 20:02:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Gimp said: »
Peldin. You should replace Winds of Prom with plasma charge for more points since you're dualboxing a brd/whm I only set Winds unless I'm expecting serious erase debuffs needed otherwise I get my +3str and +3 dex.
Oh nice! Thanks for the tip man. I lose 3 mnd and 3 vit from cocoon to gain 3str and 3 dex. That's a very nice trade.

As for Heavy Strike... I never really use it in Dynamis. The only time I use it is on the TE mobs so I can 1-shot and put spectral jig back up quickly.

In Nyzul though I'll probably use it more often. Especially on Draugur, Psycheflayer, and anything else with Ice Spikes
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-10-16 20:02:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Why BRD/WHM instead of BRD/RDM? Saves you set points on Battery Charge and the BRD gains refresh/convert. Shouldn't be eating that many debuffs, if any.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-10-16 20:06:04
Link | Quote | Reply

For one, I simply like having it, if I get statuses, I'm use to taking care of them quickly on whichever character is currently not acting and whichever can do it fastest if that's needed. It's a core spell for me and if I don't set it, I'll end up hitting the macro anyway and it'll screw things up for me.

Secondly, I fight DC mobs and do so on Nightmare flies as my primary target, they always net me my best coinage. Debilitating drone causes 2 random stat downs, that's 4 total erasable status effects(sans when it hits ones I don't care about).

Yes, I could have my brd erase all the things, but then she'd have to go to dynamis on /whm (I realize I said Brd/whm in my previous post but my alt has brd and whm and does generally go brd/whm to normal events but not dynamis). I have her go /dnc for double the procs and meleeing. If it's just one status effect, I can have each char do a waltz to heal it but if it's two, I need winds to clear the second.

While there is one primary reason I do it, overall it's mostly preference because I don't see 3str and 3dex as something worth altering my spellset for, particularly something that is a spell I always set.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-10-16 20:34:59
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're BRD/DNC that's an entirely different matter (it's what I prefer too), was just curious about /WHM over /RDM for a less active mule.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-10-16 20:42:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry, I should have explained further in the first post. Though I've been known to set spells a bit different from what would be "optimal" in many situations just out of habit. It frustrates me when I go to cast a spell and it does nothing and then I remember, oh right, I didn't set that one. Having an alt certainly does change the way I do things and I guess I'm too use to it since I play both chars manually, many of my actions and such are purely kinetic memory and it's hard to stop it without slowing my whole method down.
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2012-10-17 03:12:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
was just curious about /WHM over /RDM for a less active mule.
For me, I'd be trading status removals for 3 set points. Convert on my bard is pretty useless. I always double march my BLU and then pianissimo Ballad 3 to my bard. Never even bother with Ballad 2.

/DNC would actually be a big upgrade to me. Faster procs would be faster kills. But my mule's dagger skill is only 153. Plus, I also manually play both characters. So having to box another melee job to engage and use step/flourish would be a hassle. If I were going to do that I may as well just level up BST on my mule.

But anyway, as for my spell setup...
I honestly don't use Cocoon, Delta Thrust, Regeneration, or Whirl of Rage very often. I could also drop Animating Wail.
Also, I don't need Conserve MP so I could get rid of Zephyr Mantle and Chaotic Eye as well.
That's 16 total points I could allocate somewhere else. I'm thinking that maybe I should put 6 in to picking up the Attack Bonus trait. I could do that by just dropping Zephyr Mantle/Chaotic Eye/Regeneration... and picking up Battle Dance/Uppercut

Any suggestions?
 Odin.Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2012-10-17 04:33:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Should be using delta thrust on every mob they wont use any tp moves than before they die. Wouldnt bother setting spells for conserve mp its a waste of points. I normally set DW3 DA TH and Refresh then some damage spells and some utility spells.

Animating wail
Blazing Bound
Mortal Ray
Quad Continnum
Delta Thrust
Barbed Crescent
Winds of Promy
Actinic burst
heavy strike
Empty Thrash
A spikes
Everybodys grudge
CW
Sudden Lunge
Dream flower
rest depend on mobs
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2012-10-17 05:25:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Creaucent said: »
Should be using delta thrust on every mob they wont use any tp moves than before they die.
I guess I just find it hard to justify using delta thrust, because I *usually* proc before they can use a TP move anyway. And once they're proc'd, they *usually* die before coming out of proc. So *usually* delta thrust is just wasted MP except that it does a lil damage. I just kinda stopped using it.

Quote:
I normally set DW3 DA TH and Refresh
As shown in the spoiler of my earlier post, I was running with those same job traits except I had Triple Attack, Store-TP, Conserve MP and DW2 (from /dnc) instead of Double Attack and DW3. However I think I'm going to drop Conserve MP and Regeneration for Attack Bonus which also nets me some better stats as well. As /dnc, we already get DW2 so I just haven't been able to justify 20 spell cost points for just one tier of DW.

However, our situations may differ. Sekundes is the only other BLU I know of that boxes a bard in Dynamis. I mean I'm sure there are plenty others, I just haven't seen them.
 Odin.Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2012-10-17 06:07:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to box a whm/thf but havent been in dyna with her since having brd leveled. For me having DW3 set had me hitting at pretty much 100 fists speed constantly with the tp set im using though marchs would probably give the same effect with DW2. I only set TA when im /war when we get a better DA trait. I doubt the TA trait we get is as much as what thf gets as we are 3% DA short of what war or /war gets.
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2012-10-17 06:56:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Our TA rate is about 4.6%
Only slightly worse than THF at 5%.

However, there is a 10% DW increase from DW2 to DW3 which I didn't know until I checked just now (all other DW tiers are in 5% increases). That makes DW3 a pretty attractive option. Still not sure it's worth 20 points but I may try it out.

I'm curious why you didn't mention Fantod in your spell list. 1 spell cost point (since you already set sudden lunge) for 10 Store TP. That's too attractive to pass up. I think it's roughly a .5 tp/hit increase (depending on your dual wield obviously) assuming you're using Almace + STR Shikargar. I'm guessing you do set it and just forgot to mention.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-10-17 18:41:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Creaucent said: »
If thats against EP mobs thats rather low i was doing around 1.3k+ without CA or efflux.

He asked for TE, which spells did less dmg already. On EP mob it can hit 3k with just efflux but no CA.