A Scholar's Education (Guide)

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » A Scholar's Education (Guide)
A Scholar's Education (Guide)
First Page 2 3 ... 59 60 61 ... 99 100 101
By tyalangan 2017-05-07 12:22:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I forgot the Light Arts category was specific to Regen. I'm sure adding that 60 seconds in will do it. I knew it was something simple.

Regarding your question on LA's bonus I read a BG thread but it may have been referring solely to Perpetuance. Either way, with the JP I should figure it out. Argh, can't believe I didn't think to look at JP. Could have saved so much time...
From BG ~2012:
Quote:
"Increase the effect duration of Regen while under the effects of Light Arts. Increase effect duration by 3 seconds."

1/10 job points allocated

Regen V base duration without Light Arts effect - 108 seconds

[14:16:26] blah Regen V → blah (Regen)
[14:18:18] blah's Regen effect wears off.

Difference of 112 seconds observed. 108+3 = 111 s. Consistent with help text

Regen V + perpetuance (AF3+2 hands) duration without Light Arts effect - 108*2.5 = 270 seconds (4:30)

[14:20:48] blah Regen V → blah (Regen)
[14:25:27] blah's Regen effect wears off.

Difference of 279 seconds observed. (108+3)*2.5 = 277.5 s. 108*2.5 +3 = 273 s.

It seems like the base duration is increased before the effect of Perpetuance is applied.
 Bahamut.Silentsteel
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Silentsteel 2017-05-08 17:50:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Couple questions that I got from reading through a lot of these posts.

What's helix Zombie-ing?

Also, with this possible new information about using helix in SCs for longer windows, should I stick all the closings of my SCs as helix? I already did for my macros but may switch back.

Not to mention I'm still new to a lot of the sch stuff, picked the game back up a couple weeks ago and somehow I have the MB staff, neck, and all jhakri+1 and trying to improve my gear from there. XD Shiroikiri on Asura and just made my macro sets, now going to work on GS so I don't have just the one set I use.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2017-05-08 18:46:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Silentsteel said: »
Couple questions that I got from reading through a lot of these posts.

What's helix Zombie-ing?

Also, with this possible new information about using helix in SCs for longer windows, should I stick all the closings of my SCs as helix? I already did for my macros but may switch back.

Not to mention I'm still new to a lot of the sch stuff, picked the game back up a couple weeks ago and somehow I have the MB staff, neck, and all jhakri+1 and trying to improve my gear from there. XD Shiroikiri on Asura and just made my macro sets, now going to work on GS so I don't have just the one set I use.

Helix zombie-ing is keeping a helix active on an NM if you are dying. That way, you can stop it not only from regen once you die and it goes unclaimed, but it continues to deal damage as you are Reraising, calling trusts, and buffing. Just be sure to reclaim it before, or as soon as the helix wears off, sonit doesn't heal for 10% every tick, and make sure you reclaim and stay alive once it's HP is under 10%, so your helix doesn't kill it while you are dead or when it's unclaimed, so you don't lose your drops.
[+]
 Odin.Miniman
Server: Odin
user: Miniman
By Odin.Miniman 2017-05-12 15:48:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey guys, looking to get SCH started here. I know this question is on every page for every damn job and no one wants to hear me ask it, but it's honestly easier than scouring 60 pages...

Anyone mind sharing their lua? I almost got away with using that old one a couple threads down, but it seems to lack stuff like a Klimaform mode and I'd feel a little better with something that's been maintained.

Thanks in advance (don't hit me, please!)
By Sammeh 2017-05-12 18:40:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Miniman said: »
Hey guys, looking to get SCH started here. I know this question is on every page for every damn job and no one wants to hear me ask it, but it's honestly easier than scouring 60 pages...

Anyone mind sharing their lua? I almost got away with using that old one a couple threads down, but it seems to lack stuff like a Klimaform mode and I'd feel a little better with something that's been maintained.

There's a lot of flavors to meet playstyle, some people like mine and others hate it.

https://github.com/SammehFFXI/FFXIAddons/tree/master/GearSwap

-Sam
 Odin.Miniman
user: Miniman
By Odin.Miniman 2017-05-12 23:23:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Sammeh said: »
Odin.Miniman said: »

There's a lot of flavors to meet playstyle, some people like mine and others hate it.

https://github.com/SammehFFXI/FFXIAddons/tree/master/GearSwap

-Sam

Thanks a bunch, this is perfect. I'm not too picky with lua's as long as they work and reasonably accommodate the essentials, so this will be more than enough.
 Bahamut.Silentsteel
By Bahamut.Silentsteel 2017-05-18 15:45:13
Link | Quote | Reply

What are you guys using for DT sets? I'm not even sure how to start building them but feel they'd be crucial for trying to solo things.
 Odin.Taffy
user: Taffy
By Odin.Taffy 2017-05-18 16:01:43
Link | Quote | Reply

D ring, Mallqis Body +1, merlinic head hands feet and legs all with -4/5 DT. If you can get -5 DT on merlinic in this set it hits the 50% cap. Terra's staff/Mensch strap +1, Staunch tathlum, slipor sash, soleminity cape also all equippable by sch.

I use a variation of this set on blm for mana wall tanking but it's also my oh shi set for sch. When soloing though you should still be idling in your refresh set unless your trusts go down^^
 Valefor.Vardaman
Server: Valefor
user: Vardaman
By Valefor.Vardaman 2017-05-18 16:41:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Heads up though, DT -4% is an incredibly rare augment, and DT -5% I think requires dark matter. I recommend waiting for a skirmish augment campaign and augmenting hagondes +1 gear for PDT+MDT -4%. Wailing stones +2 have a pretty OK track record of getting there. As for wailing stones +1, in my experience it can take around 150 per piece of hagondes, but that is nothing compared to the amount of fern stones you would spend going for DT -4%.

I do agree that a merlinic set would be more ideal, but it's also so much more difficult to get.
 Bahamut.Tychefm
user: Lyramion
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2017-05-18 17:44:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I got -4% DT once when going for FastCast and didn't keep it sadly. It's an "accident" off-roll so... ya good luck.
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2017-05-18 18:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

SKCNM campaign is dropping Wailing +2 and sacks of +1's, so it's a good time to work on Hagondes. It's raining Duskdim +2's for us duration junkies too.
 Bahamut.Silentsteel
By Bahamut.Silentsteel 2017-05-19 09:15:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Well then, I know what I'm going to be pushing for next, thanks for the tip Arislan
 Odin.Taffy
user: Taffy
By Odin.Taffy 2017-05-19 09:30:14
Link | Quote | Reply

DT-4 isn't all that rare. I spent about 16m on stones to complete my DT merlinic set. Nothing compared to what it cost to make a good Rng herc set ;;
 Bahamut.Silentsteel
By Bahamut.Silentsteel 2017-05-19 09:41:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Any fights for SKCNM that you recommend? (also, 16M? I've had like 4m max ever at one time XD)
By Vijara 2017-06-01 12:35:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Just curious,

Does anyone out there have an updated SCH stun set for 500 dark skill, capped recast, and magic accuracy?
 Asura.Azagarth
Server: Asura
user: Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2017-06-01 12:50:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Silentsteel said: »
Any fights for SKCNM that you recommend? (also, 16M? I've had like 4m max ever at one time XD)

never farmed for over an hr then it sounds
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2017-06-01 13:36:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Vijara said: »
Just curious,

Does anyone out there have an updated SCH stun set for 500 dark skill, capped recast, and magic accuracy?

no clue on skill but this is what I had in my lua

sets.Midcast.Stun =
{main={ name="Grioavolr", augments={'Enfb.mag. skill +15','MP+31','Mag. Acc.+27','"Mag.Atk.Bns."+14','Magic Damage +2',}},
sub="Enki Strap",
ammo="Pemphredo Tathlum",
head={ name="Merlinic Hood", augments={'Mag. Acc.+13','"Mag.Atk.Bns."+29','Mag. Acc.+14 "Mag.Atk.Bns."+14',}},
body={ name="Amalric Doublet +1", augments={'MP+80','Mag. Acc.+20','"Mag.Atk.Bns."+20',}},
hands="Jhakri Cuffs +1",
legs={ name="Merlinic Shalwar", augments={'Mag. Acc.+25 "Mag.Atk.Bns."+25','Magic burst dmg.+9%','MND+10','Mag. Acc.+12','"Mag.Atk.Bns."+2',}},
feet="Acad. Loafers +3",
neck="Erra pendant",
waist="Witful Belt",
left_ear="Barkaro. Earring",
right_ear="Enchntr. Earring +1",
left_ring="Stikini Ring +1",
right_ring="Sangoma ring",
back={ name="Lugh's Cape", augments={'INT+20','Mag. Acc+20 /Mag. Dmg.+20','INT+10','"Mag.Atk.Bns."+10',}},}
 Odin.Warusha
user: Serithus
By Odin.Warusha 2017-06-01 13:43:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Just curious,

This is what I'd use if I had AF+3 body and hands finished. Not sure if you wanted alacrity up or not.
ItemSet 351655
*Assumes high macc, INT, fast cast 6+ on Merlinic Shalwar.
*INT, Macc, Fastcast on back

Unfortunately this set only has 490 skill, so it doesn't quite hit your criteria, but it should be highest macc, recast available.
[+]
 Asura.Azagarth
user: Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2017-06-01 14:07:23
Link | Quote | Reply

casso sash+abyssal earring would fill the 10 skill gap for not a huge macc loss if you really need that 500 mark.
 Bahamut.Tychefm
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2017-06-01 14:32:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Someone remind me why you'd aim for 500 Dark Skill here please.
[+]
 Sylph.Gobbo
Server: Sylph
user: Gobbo
By Sylph.Gobbo 2017-06-01 15:26:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Tychefm said: »

The only reason you'd need to aim for higher Dark Skill was to get extra ticks in Kaustra. But Kaustra's so freaking depending on INT that you'd mostly settle on the already long duration with your base 456 skill and pump as much INT, MAB, and M.Acc as possible.

Edit:
Could also argue for /DRK Absorb-INT if you're doing some off-the-wall Omen strats for boosting PT damage on bosses with Arcane Circle without losing too much from /RDM sub (Stun ain't landing on anything though so that's a minus). But as I mentioned on the DRK forums, Impact completely undermines it and blocks it.
By Vijara 2017-06-02 06:11:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Warusha said: »
This is what I'd use if I had AF+3 body and hands finished. Not sure if you wanted alacrity up or not.
ItemSet 351655
*Assumes high macc, INT, fast cast 6+ on Merlinic Shalwar.
*INT, Macc, Fastcast on back

Unfortunately this set only has 490 skill, so it doesn't quite hit your criteria, but it should be highest macc, recast available.

This is perfect. The skill isn't as big as a deal as I originally made it. Obviously the relic feet would be used when Alacrity is up.

I was just looking for a post-omen SCH stun set was all. Thanks for your reply!

Purely for potency.

Sylph.Gobbo said: »
Could also argue for /DRK Absorb-INT if you're doing some off-the-wall Omen strats for boosting PT damage on bosses with Arcane Circle without losing too much from /RDM sub (Stun ain't landing on anything though so that's a minus). But as I mentioned on the DRK forums, Impact completely undermines it and blocks it.

According to BG-Wiki absorb spells are just a flat rate and potency isn't affected by skill on these. [1]
 Sylph.Gobbo
By Sylph.Gobbo 2017-06-02 09:16:39
Link | Quote | Reply

According to BG-Wiki absorb spells are just a flat rate and potency isn't affected by skill on these. [1]

Duration is boosted by skill: Source

Though I'll admit I'm not certain this applies to subjob, I know there's a base duration component based on the level of the DRK.
[+]
 Bahamut.Tychefm
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2017-06-02 09:24:46
Link | Quote | Reply

If I remember correctly from old Delve Stun times, there is some kind of cap on Grimoire Spellcast and using 2 pieces did nothing/wasted some.

Anyone has some current info here?
 Sylph.Gobbo
By Sylph.Gobbo 2017-06-02 09:37:07
Link | Quote | Reply

If I remember correctly from old Delve Stun times, there is some kind of cap on Grimoire Spellcast and using 2 pieces did nothing/wasted some.

Anyone has some current info here?

This is true, from what I remember the recast cap was 25% total Grimoire which included the base bonus from Dark Arts, so at best we'll be gaining 3% by using both pieces and wasting the rest and they abide by the normal 80% recast cap (they still do). I'm pretty sure this is why we were all surprised to hear about the fast cast portion being broken by these pieces since we just assumed it followed the same rules.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2017-06-02 09:37:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a few questions about certain gear use with Strategems.

1. Should I be using Arbatel Bracers for Immanence when closing a skillchain? It seems like I'd get better results keeping Amalric Gages instead of using Arbatel here.

2. Thoughts on Arbatel Bonnet for use with Ebullience? I currently have Merlinic Hood with a +28 Matk Augment (and +8 MBB, but not relevant)

3. Arbatel Loafers worth using for Klimaform with matching weather?
 Shiva.Spynx
user: auron86
By Shiva.Spynx 2017-06-02 09:47:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Shadowmeld said: »
1. Should I be using Arbatel Bracers for Immanence when closing a skillchain? It seems like I'd get better results keeping Amalric Gages instead of using Arbatel here.
Empy hands only affect SC damage when using immanence so I wouldn't really bother. Use amalric for the MB as they are still BiS (stupid SCH missing on ea set Q_Q)
2. Thoughts on Arbatel Bonnet for use with Ebullience? I currently have Merlinic Hood with a +28 Matk Augment (and +8 MBB, but not relevant)
Go with merlinic (reason)
3. Arbatel Loafers worth using for Klimaform with matching weather?
They are still best option when klimaform is active (reason)
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2017-06-02 10:14:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, cool. The answers to questions 2 and 3 were basically where I was leaning on those. To be clear on question 1, I was only asking about the nuke that you close the SC with, not the subsequent Magic Burst that I would surely use Amalric on.

One last question on Rapture and curing. I'm thinking of swapping out Gende. Caubeen for Arbatel Bonnet, which is easy enough when I don't have Aurorastorm up. My current set though is missing about 5% CP (45% CP total) if storm is up though. It should still be worth using Arbatel for Cure even if I'm not capping CP?

This should be solved as soon as I get Acad. Pants +2.

Edit:
One other question I guess too. Does Klimaform affect Cure Spells if you have light arts/Addendum: White Up?
 Shiva.Spynx
user: auron86
By Shiva.Spynx 2017-06-02 10:42:28
Link | Quote | Reply

As SCH you won't spend much time into light arts - usually pre-battle buffing and very rare occasions where you are on healing duty - and even if you do, you want to save strats such as perpetuance/accession compared to rapture (just like WHMs hardly use divine seal except for 100% divine veil if no yagrush). You should aim at 50%CP, 30% cure potency received (augmented telchine mostly) and healing magic skill/MND to have strong cures even in dark arts without light storm.

If you end up using rapture often, i'm sure the empy+1 head is best option for head as long as you can cap cure potency with other slots.
 Sylph.Gobbo
By Sylph.Gobbo 2017-06-02 13:28:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Just as a notice, your cures should be strong enough to not have to worry about over powering your Cures. I would try to prioritize that recast is under the JA/Spell Delay/GCD/Whatever you wannt to call it since we only have 2 spells to rely on. We don't have Cureskin so if you're main healing it's a completely game. You'll find that damage is usually constantly coming, unless your DDs/Tanks are good at utilizing their DT sets and defensive abilities, and will probably be constantly wanting to hit accession. The recast penalty will become very noticeable when do this.

DDs usually only have like ~2000 HP, so just keep that in mind when building your sets and managing stratagems.
First Page 2 3 ... 59 60 61 ... 99 100 101