2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » The Pirates' Lair: A Guide to Corsair
The Pirates' Lair: A Guide to Corsair
First Page 2 3 ... 146 147 148 ... 156 157 158
By Afania 2017-11-25 01:53:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I just got home and checked, 108 mdmg does outweight 12 agi. In fact, if you DW 2 of them for wf it also seem to beat extra mab gained from MAB II. In other words, DNC is probably the best SJ for wildfire spamming, RDM and BLM is no longer the best. More so if you count the SC dmg+ for darkness SC.
[+]
By Autocast 2017-11-25 06:04:55
Link | Quote | Reply

New to cor and just returned to the game and was wondering if I could get a list of useful ambu cape augs, as well as some recommendations of what people would recommend for my first two capes.

Ones I would get the most bang out of (that also give a sizeable boost over some other easily obtainable options for the sets they would be used in).

Thanks in advance.
 Asura.Evildemon
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Evildemon 2017-11-25 07:49:57
Link | Quote | Reply

from what I noticed its very similar to ranger choices. I personally would take wsd cape and ranged tp cape first but that's because I have fomalhaut.

Ranged capes:
snapshot cape (can be simply just snapshot 10 but personally i have agi 20, racc/ratk 20, snapshot 10 just incase my gs fails)
ranged tp cape agi 30, racc/ratk 20, store tp 10
wsd cape agi 30, racc/ratk 20, wsd 10
mwsd cape agi 30, macc/mdmg 20, wsd 10

and if your into meleeing on cor i'm sure there's a bunch more capes to get that I personally don't have space for.
By Afania 2017-11-25 12:44:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Autocast said: »
New to cor and just returned to the game and was wondering if I could get a list of useful ambu cape augs, as well as some recommendations of what people would recommend for my first two capes.

Ones I would get the most bang out of (that also give a sizeable boost over some other easily obtainable options for the sets they would be used in).

Thanks in advance.

Melee tp: Dex acc stp
Savage blade: str attk wsd
Last stand and Leaden: agi rattk wsd

You can probably pick tp and 1 ws back for first 2 depending on which ws that you use more. Normally CP pt needs Leaden and ambuscade needs savage blade.

The reason why I list tp as top priority is because cor has low acc, and tp back kinda fixed that.

You can merge last stand and Leaden into 1 back if you need space because 20 mdmg is pretty small improvement.

It's possible to cap snapshot without snapshot back so I personally just skip it for inventory.

If you are really hurting for inventory, just ranged tp in last stand back. Ranged setup is pretty dead these days. So its not a top priority IMO.

On COR prioritize melee. Unlike RNG you'll get invite to melee parties to buff war DRK Sam etc, in that case the ideal playstyle is usually melee.
[+]
By Afania 2017-11-29 02:56:33
Link | Quote | Reply

In case if anyone is curious....I know nobody give a damn about savage blade these days since it's all about epeen salute in dynamis now. But I plugged in the number in spreadsheet anyways.

For those without wsd dm augment on feet, relic +3 feet and sapara +1 combined together roughly equal to 10% DPS increase for melee cor, which is huge boost to the job in just 2 updates.

Now I wonder whats next on relic +3.
 Asura.Azagarth
user: Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2017-12-03 01:43:27
Link | Quote | Reply

So.... I thought id give some advice to Cor's doing dyna. I have seen so many who are just lacking as of late. Cor is amazing for its dyna potential and most are doing 1/2-1/4 range of my dmg and my cor is nothing special. However, I thought id toss out a few good ideas and maybe spur some conversation that I can direct cors to read. I will assume you have forma, because who doesnt nowadays. If you do not, dont worry, these principles can still apply to you.

1.) In dyna you will primarily be using leaden : get a good leaden set. However, you can still pull nice last stands on mobs that magical resistant. If your set is lacking though oftentimes leaden will be just fine all the time.

2.) If you lag or are slow at engaging, just shoot, its WAY easier and theres a neat trick you can do (ill explain later). Your set for shooting should be as much stp as you can fit (again ill explain). You might think you will have low acc, and this is not true, you should be fine with sushi.

3.) Do melee the bosses if your on a heavy dd setups but remember, they can counter so pay attention to positioning. If you do die, your fine, ranged dps doesnt really suffer while weakened.

4.) Your rolls should be tact/sam(crooked). There is really no reason to not be running 11's for the full run of these buffs. Yes things do happen, but odds are you will land an 11 within first few mins of the run and if your paying attention you can keep them up the whole run just fine, this is important!

ok, so that neat 'trick', lets take a look at it. If your a cor you can have a pretty basic stp sooting set that will have 73 stp + 10 on forma = 83 stp (this is NQ stuff abj/ambu, no augs etc). This paired with an 11 crooked sams (81 stp) will give you 446 tp a shot, if you happen to just get 11 no crooked then your at 424tp a shot, however these both do not include the sam bonus, with that your looking at 441/464. So you can see there is some variance. However seeing that my shot set is 12 stp under what I could really get (which is 461 with normal 11), I think 446 is safe for me now (do your own math for your set).

My leaden returns 341 tp, I have an avg leaden set for cor in terms of stp. You might get higher or lower depending. However not probably lower.

so you can see 341+446 = 787 tp. so your only 213 from your next ws with only 1 shot done, so now when you factor in tact roll of 64 tp you need 4 tics, if you however got a sam bonus on your roll or have better stp gear than me it will be 3 ticks. Realize that when you ws you will probably tick, during your shot, and then you usually have to wait a sec and you can align and ws. Not to mention you wil have another tick come up anyhow when trying to target the next mob.

In practice you now have a "2 shot" set. Now your basically perma spamming leadens and 1 shotting mobs while doing so. The plus of this all, if you dont 1 shot a mob, they will probably be a quickdraw away from death anyhow. which leaves you ready to ws again no tacticians needed. No other dd atm can do smg like this other than maybe a rng, so just have fun and kill some ***!

Hope this helps for those wondering, please discuss nicely.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Camlann
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Camlann 2017-12-03 02:21:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Azagarth said: »
forma

Fomalhaut? Or is forma something else?
By Afania 2017-12-03 02:40:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for sharing, I'm still learning how to DD properly myself and I would definitely tweak my playstyle based on ideas and suggestions from the others.

Cor is amazing for its dyna potential

This, I have no idea why people that recruit mage jobs for dyna don't include cor, lol.

Just FYI, mid boss dies in 1 SC with an alliance of leaden SC + Nuke setup(or 2 SC with a pt of 7-8 or so).
[+]
 Lakshmi.Elidyr
Server: Lakshmi
user: elii
By Lakshmi.Elidyr 2017-12-03 10:30:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
Thanks for sharing, I'm still learning how to DD properly myself and I would definitely tweak my playstyle based on ideas and suggestions from the others.

Cor is amazing for its dyna potential

This, I have no idea why people that recruit mage jobs for dyna don't include cor, lol.

Just FYI, mid boss dies in 1 SC with an alliance of leaden SC + Nuke setup(or 2 SC with a pt of 7-8 or so).

I agree. I was with a Blu and thf. Had them open, and close leaden. Mobs die instantly.
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2017-12-04 11:11:18
Link | Quote | Reply

people using sj /nin in Dynamis. always been a /war cor, so trying to figure out best weapons to dual wield.

Also should mention Leaden can one-shot stats so if your in a link situation or just trying to clear to a certain mob/boss, you can just leaden your way without popping mobs if you want
 Lakshmi.Elidyr
Server: Lakshmi
user: elii
By Lakshmi.Elidyr 2017-12-04 11:33:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Also if your friends get charmed Leaden light shot works wonders on them as well. :D
[+]
 Shiva.Eightball
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Eightball 2017-12-04 12:14:24
Link | Quote | Reply

if shooting, fettering/ kuwatsi(sp, from manticore UNM), if meleeing fettering or heptzion rapier+1 / blurred+1 dagger, if you need a lot of acc Odium(dagger from vag)/ blurred+1 is decent choice. I tend to go with fettering blurred+1 combo as it gives decent melee acc and ranged so I can switch off between RA and melee quickly w/o switching weps. other options for just Magic dmg would be fettering/atoyac.

edit: I had to go find it but Eosuchus club, very occasionally I will mainhand this for More magic acc.
By Afania 2017-12-04 20:35:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Toralin said: »
people using sj /nin in Dynamis. always been a /war cor, so trying to figure out best weapons to dual wield.

Also should mention Leaden can one-shot stats so if your in a link situation or just trying to clear to a certain mob/boss, you can just leaden your way without popping mobs if you want

It's being discussed just last page:

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/31312/the-pirates-lair-a-guide-to-corsair/146/

If your pt use Sam+tact with minimal engage time/occasionally shooting, I would personally use double rapier HQ or fettering/rapier HQ for max ws dmg.

I'm not so sure about the necessity of /NIN btw, seems like plenty of people don't /NIN and still fine, or die to Mijin/counter anyways, and /NIN doesn't help much for that.

Since SC is often ideal and engage time is so low maybe /DNC for SC bonus is better?
 Shiva.Eightball
By Shiva.Eightball 2017-12-04 21:36:18
Link | Quote | Reply

yea /dnc is better, its what i've always used in there and mostly the only times i'm dead is when we've wiped or some 1 turned the mob and i get countered to death. dnc gives small acc bonus, SC bonus and emergency heals.

wouldn't MAB atoyac offhand be better for magic dmg?
By Afania 2017-12-04 22:05:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Eightball said: »
yea /dnc is better, its what i've always used in there and mostly the only times i'm dead is when we've wiped or some 1 turned the mob and i get countered to death. dnc gives small acc bonus, SC bonus and emergency heals.

wouldn't MAB atoyac offhand be better for magic dmg?

It's being discussed on very top of the page :< /slap

Atoyac is great with longer engage time thanks to oat. But in terms of ws avg 12 agi doesn't beat 108 mdmg+4 mab.

Between all the SC dmg, shooting for tp, downtime for pulls and regain roll fettering or rapier HQ may ended up winning even if you have acc buffs to accommodate atoyacs low acc, due to the actual engage time being so low. Although it also depend on your group setup and how fast people kill things.

Anyways, either weapon doesn't make game breaking difference so just use w/e.
 Shiva.Eightball
By Shiva.Eightball 2017-12-04 23:05:07
Link | Quote | Reply

>< why couldn't they just give us malevolance and call it good QQ
 Leviathan.Vedder
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Vedder 2017-12-05 16:54:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Eightball said: »
>< why couldn't they just give us malevolance and call it good QQ
I keep hoping for some kind of update that changes this as I have a max Aug one but no jobs to put it to use on really :(
By Autocast 2017-12-09 13:54:23
Link | Quote | Reply

is pixie hairpin +1 still the go to head for leaden?

Also for the magic ws calculator, is there a way to disable the mythic bonus for non mythic cor? changing it to 0 makes it show no damage.

Or is 1 = no mythic and 1.3 = afterglow gun?
By Afania 2017-12-09 15:04:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Autocast said: »
is pixie hairpin +1 still the go to head for leaden?

Also for the magic ws calculator, is there a way to disable the mythic bonus for non mythic cor? changing it to 0 makes it show no damage.

Or is 1 = no mythic and 1.3 = afterglow gun?

1= no mythics. Sorry for the confusion since I'm not that good at excel to make a switch.
[+]
 Sylph.Dravidian
Server: Sylph
user: Eliseus
By Sylph.Dravidian 2017-12-09 22:05:31
Link | Quote | Reply

How would I describe this? It's not something you need and you will do fine. However, it's something you want if you are serious about COR.
[+]
By Afania 2017-12-09 22:09:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't say if aeonic can hit 99999 but you know, this kind of question is kinda sad to see considering aeonic is like, 2nd best Leaden weapon.

It's just a game, the lack of absolute BiS gear shouldn't stop anyone playing any job ever. If you think you shouldn't play a job because you are using the 2nd best gear in game, shoulda really rethink what it means by playing a video game.

I've only brought cor to dyna D 2 times. 1st time was the day after it went live, 2nd run was Halphas clear run. Every other run I was on a different job for feet unlock (I have like 7+ jobs need to unlock), some jobs had like 300 JP, 4 gear sets and NQ/ambuscade +1 gears. No one really give a damn about my bad gear anyways. Dyna D is easy enough.
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2017-12-09 22:37:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Where in their question do they say they're not playing the job if they don't have a mythic? They specifically say they love the job but mythic grind is too much for them.

As to the actual question, Fomalhaut is fine. You can cap damage with it, but you'll need better gear/buffs than you would with DP. It's still a great gun, but you do lose a decent amount without the DP ammo and bonus damage.

If you love COR, I highly suggest getting Death Penalty, as it's my favorite RMEA of all time. However, Fomalhaut is a very good alternative and you should do just fine with it.
[+]
By Afania 2017-12-09 23:51:37
Link | Quote | Reply

The way it's being asked sure sounds like it, otherwise why would anyone care if it's 99k or 80k, lol.
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2017-12-09 23:58:24
Link | Quote | Reply

The way I read it was that they've seen DP CORs cap damage and they want to know if Fomalhaut can accomplish the same.

As to who cares, going from 80k to 99k is ~24% increase in damage. Lots of people buy HQ items for 0.5-2% increases, so I'd assume a good amount care about it.
[+]
By Afania 2017-12-10 00:59:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oraen said: »
The way I read it was that they've seen DP CORs cap damage and they want to know if Fomalhaut can accomplish the same.

As to who cares, going from 80k to 99k is ~24% increase in damage. Lots of people buy HQ items for 0.5-2% increases, so I'd assume a good amount care about it.

I don't think other people buying HQ is relevant in this entire discussion though, nor I assume no one care. I only said if OP doesn't like grinding, then there's no reason to grind them and not capping dmg (or needing more buffs to cap dmg) doesn't matter.
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2017-12-10 01:16:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Alright, well you specifically said "why would anyone care if it's 99k or 80k." Again, because that's about a 24% increase in damage. If somebody wants to do the most damage they can do, they're likely going to care about that. And I've gotta disagree about not capping damage. That does matter if you're interested in doing the best you can. The original question, at least to me, showed a desire for optimization for COR, so it definitely does matter for that.

This conversation's just going around in weird circles at this point, and I'm not sure if we've got a language barrier or something hampering it, so I'm just gonna let it go.

As to the original question: yes Fomalhaut can cap damage, but it requires better gear/buffs in comparison. Fomalhaut is a great option in all regards for COR, but if you want the best of the best for Leaden, that's gonna be Death Penalty. Build the weapon you want and optimize your gear to your desired level, but understand that you might not see the exact results you want.
[+]
By Afania 2017-12-10 01:26:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess we have different opinion on the importance of gear optimization then!
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2017-12-10 02:01:23
Link | Quote | Reply

It's Afania, you should know better by now
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2017-12-10 09:53:56
Link | Quote | Reply

That's a pretty shallow comparison between the weapons, anyways.
First Page 2 3 ... 146 147 148 ... 156 157 158