users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » Death Penalty
Death Penalty
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-08 12:12:07
Link | Quote | Reply

...Why would you not use Wildfire in legion?
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-05-08 12:13:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't say you wouldn't, but if for some reason you don't(Idk if some mobs there resists). It's just the only relevant event that came to mind that isn't Voidwatch(tp wings spam).
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-08 12:15:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Assuming it's something you to which you can actually deal decent damage with Last Stand, there's a reason RNGs swear by Coronach in Legion.
 Fenrir.Minjo
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-05-08 12:15:14
Link | Quote | Reply

She's actually quite beautiful when given softer touches. She looks stunning in the prelude to Moment 4 Life.

As to her merit as an artist, well, lets just say that she knows exactly what audience she's catering to. I'm sure her voice is just as lackluster as most "real" artists, so all we're left with is a woman who's very successfully manipulating a lot of people, and those people are making her filthy rich.

That said, I can't stand most of her music, but that doesn't make her talent any less appreciable.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-08 12:17:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I really like her personality more than I like her music, but her music does end up appealing to the side of me that just wants to shake my *** when I'm not legal to drive.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-08 12:17:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Assuming it's something you to which you can actually deal decent damage with Last Stand, there's a reason RNGs swear by Coronach in Legion.

Also ITT: People do Legion.
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-05-08 12:17:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, that's 'cause you a stupid hoe.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-08 12:18:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Minjo said: »
Well, that's 'cause you a stupid hoe.

[+]
 Ragnarok.Stiel
Server: Ragnarok
user: Stiel
By Ragnarok.Stiel 2012-05-08 12:26:29
Link | Quote | Reply

lol fail,why every other mythic aftermath 3 proc in ws,and ranged ones shouldnt? there any any tests/proof that it doesnt proc?
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-05-08 12:31:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »

In my experience thusfar, hate is so god damned wonky in Legion that you may as well just do as much damage as you can before you get your face eaten.

We keep banging our heads against it and coming up with limited success. I find it a most frustrating activity.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-08 12:32:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Stiel said: »
lol fail,why every other mythic aftermath 3 proc in ws,and ranged ones shouldnt? there any any tests/proof that it doesnt proc?

Other mythics are multi-attacks, ranged are damage multipliers.
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-05-08 12:40:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, right, this is a topic about Death Penalty, not Nicki Minaj.

Long story short, Death Penalty is terrible. Save 400-600 million gil and make an Armageddon.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-05-08 12:41:35
Link | Quote | Reply

If by mistake of the gods I ever win a Bonanza I'd still take the DP though, if only for the pirate lovin' :(
By Artemicion 2012-05-08 12:43:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I really hope that the previous mention of Relic, Mythic and Empyrean "revision" from SE was not merely the noted trials of adding subsequent accuracy/attack/critical hit rate bonuses. Though, based on their timeline to effort ratio, it would appear that's the most we're going to get from them. Wishful thinking got the best of me, yet again.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-05-08 13:30:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, right, this is a topic about Death Penalty, not Nicki Minaj. Long story short, Death Penalty is terrible. Save 400-600 million gil and make an Armageddon.

I think we’ve discussed this elsewhere, Min, but I’m really not the kind of person who’s just going to do a weapon based on how good it is for the job, but also what it means to me. I’m at the point of my FFXI career where, sure, I could make Kogarasumaru and have yet another samurai weapon…or I can make something really unique and stylistically satisfying for my corsair.

I acknowledge its inferiority in the vast majority of situations. I’m not going to stand around trying to sell people on its merits and on it being better than Armageddon.

I know there’s some difference of opinion on this subject, but I’m a fan of making a weapon you want for a job you love. If you like it, it’s not a waste of time or money.
[+]
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-05-08 13:34:43
Link | Quote | Reply

As always, I'm not here to tell you what to do with your time and money.

That said, I implore you to consider that the stylistic advantage of Death Penalty is aesthetic only. You'll make virtually no changes to how you use your corsair, you'll simply do less damage.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-08 13:37:14
Link | Quote | Reply

But Minjo! Think of the ***!
[+]
By Artemicion 2012-05-08 13:40:55
Link | Quote | Reply

If it means a lot to you, even if only sentimentally to a class you are enthralled in, you should get it. However, after that it's simply a matter of hoping and waiting for the pendulum of updates to swing in your weapon's favor. But if you have the patience and dedication for that; then more power to you.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-05-08 14:14:18
Link | Quote | Reply

We'll see how things playing. As of right now, I will get started and be saving the Alex up before I turn anything in anyhow. Which will probably mean I won't be doing a damn thing with all that Alex for six months in any case.
 Ragnarok.Afania
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-05-08 19:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »

I think we’ve discussed this elsewhere, Min, but I’m really not the kind of person who’s just going to do a weapon based on how good it is for the job, but also what it means to me. I’m at the point of my FFXI career where, sure, I could make Kogarasumaru and have yet another samurai weapon…or I can make something really unique and stylistically satisfying for my corsair.

I acknowledge its inferiority in the vast majority of situations. I’m not going to stand around trying to sell people on its merits and on it being better than Armageddon.

I know there’s some difference of opinion on this subject, but I’m a fan of making a weapon you want for a job you love. If you like it, it’s not a waste of time or money.

Just do both guns =) I've been making DP for ages, but switch to Arma 99 2 months ago and trying to finish it 1st, just because Arma 99 is better weapon and more useful. Doesn't mean I'm giving up DP though.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-05-08 19:21:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
We'll see how things playing. As of right now, I will get started and be saving the Alex up before I turn anything in anyhow. Which will probably mean I won't be doing a damn thing with all that Alex for six months in any case.

Actually there may be a chance of alex price drop after Salvage introduced, just saying. Kinda waiting for Salvage adjustment atm.
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-05-08 19:26:02
Link | Quote | Reply

The increased quantity will likely lead to an even larger increase in demand from the onset. It'd eventually result in lower prices if the supply were to increase, but I wouldn't be hopeful for anything significant any time soon.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-08 19:32:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Everyone should just give me all their alex, so I can make a derpsichore.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-05-08 19:34:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Jinjo said: »
The increased quantity will likely lead to an even larger increase in demand from the onset. It'd eventually result in lower prices if the supply were to increase, but I wouldn't be hopeful for anything significant any time soon.

But if Salvage ended up can be farmed solo like dyna, it'd help a lot more.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-05-08 19:38:15
Link | Quote | Reply

This.

And I already have Arma at 90. May take it to 99 eventually too. Dunno. Will have to see how things play out.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-05-08 19:42:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said: »

But if Salvage ended up can be farmed solo like dyna, it'd help a lot more.
That doesn't invalidate anything he said. Demand will skyrocket with the increased supply, keeping prices inflated for a while. Given time, prices will stabilize. Where they stabilize depends on demand and exactly how much more Alexandrite an average run pulls in.
[+]
By Fiendishone 2012-05-09 03:12:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Long story short, Death Penalty is terrible. Save 400-600 million gil and make an Armageddon.

Pffff, screw all the bandwagon Laser Tag Rifle, Abyssea burned COR's that think Death Penalty is terrible. The only reason they say that is because they're jealous they don't have one themselves. Just sayin kid.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-05-09 03:14:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Aside from the occasional epeen Quick Draws, I don't see how Death Penalty is superior to the "bandwagon laser tag rifle".
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-05-09 03:15:31
Link | Quote | Reply

My cor was 75 before abyssea, I have an Armageddon and like it's been already said DP has a very restricted field of use. It just has an insane coolness factor, no point in trying to give it merits it doesn't have.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-05-09 03:29:14
Link | Quote | Reply

For emphasis, in ideal conditions (day, weather, no resist, the monster has no MDB; this is ignoring /RDM's MAB, however it wouldn't affect the results enough to be an issue) then you're looking at 672 Quick Draw with the gear you've got on your profile Fiendishone. 1075 with 99 Death Penalty's bonus. 393 damage increase on your JA every 40~60 seconds or so, idk how low COR can get it now exactly. That's really the only benefit that a Death Penalty has over an Armageddon; whereas an Armageddon gets access to a powerful weaponskill, AGI+15~20, 12 more D (equating to a 726 damage Quick Draw under the same conditions with the same gear that you have listed, cutting the damage difference between Armageddon and Death Penalty to 349).

So for an extra 700 or so damage a minute, you're losing 12D, a powerful weaponskill, ODD that doesn't require a 300TP shitty WS, +15~20 AGI, and about 400~500 million gil + a year or two of other requirements to make a Mythic. Implying that the "bandwagon laser tag rifle" is inferior to Death Penalty is incredibly false.