U Can Get Fined For Not Recycling?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » u can get fined for not recycling?
u can get fined for not recycling?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Bahamut.Moehre
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: moehre
By Bahamut.Moehre 2010-09-17 03:10:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry, but this whole discution is a bit weird.

First of all: you got a letter warning you will be fined if you do not recycle. That is actually a GOOD policy. Your small gesture of only 3 cans per month actually MAKES a difference. If everyone would make that little effort, then recycling wouldn't be such a problem. Everyone benefits from it: evil companies that only want to suck your money, evil states, selfish people who do not recycle but enjoy their gorgeous new sofas secretly made of recycled PET bottles.

It is the job of the state to implement rules that will benefit the comunity as a whole. Unfortunately, most people only react on the brim of a fine threat.

You do recycle and believe you have been unjustly accused? Then use your phone and call the city department. As simple as that. Getting a pety revenge on the recycling system is childish.

Recycling is good. Though over exaggerating the whole thing (I live in an area where you have to separate your garbage in 10 different types to recycle) might be really annoying, separating only paper and cans isn't that difficult and doesn't make you a smelly hippie. You can still be a tough macho guy with guns, and recycle... Besides, bullets and weapons are actually made partially of recycled materials...
[+]
By Artemicion 2010-09-17 03:14:45
Link | Quote | Reply

lol
[+]
Server: Siren
By Siren.Flunklesnarkin 2010-09-17 03:27:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Moehre said:

First of all: you got a letter warning you will be fined if you do not recycle. That is actually a GOOD policy. Your small gesture of only 3 cans per month actually MAKES a difference. If everyone would make that little effort, then recycling wouldn't be such a problem. Everyone benefits from it: evil companies that only want to suck your money, evil states, selfish people who do not recycle but enjoy their gorgeous new sofas secretly made of recycled PET bottles.

It is the job of the state to implement rules that will benefit the comunity as a whole. Unfortunately, most people only react on the brim of a fine threat.

You do recycle and believe you have been unjustly accused? Then use your phone and call the city department. As simple as that. Getting a pety revenge on the recycling system is childish.

Recycling is good. Though over exaggerating the whole thing (I live in an area where you have to separate your garbage in 10 different types to recycle) might be really annoying, separating only paper and cans isn't that difficult and doesn't make you a smelly hippie. You can still be a tough macho guy with guns, and recycle... Besides, bullets and weapons are actually made partially of recycled materials...

I think the whole point is the costs and energy used in collection, transportation, and processing of recyclable goods detract from (and outweigh) the costs and energy saved in the production process of non-recycled goods.

my 2 cents

edit.. It is a bit creepy though that anybody who is against recycling automatically hates the earth. All the recycling campaigns are almost as bad as political propaganda.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-09-17 03:29:33
Link | Quote | Reply

recycling metals, plastics and glass = probably a good idea, recycling paper probably a waste of time, cardboard = dunno depends on the amount of cardboard, I think it's a good idea for businesses to do so, and probably excessive consumers but for most families or individuals it's probably a big waste of time and energy from bins, to collection, to sorting types, etc etc etc.
 Bahamut.Moehre
By Bahamut.Moehre 2010-09-17 04:00:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know which are the policies in USA for collecting of materials to be recycled.

In here, there are specific days every month where >> Volunteers << like Scouts or other Youth Associations collect >> FOR FREE << the old paper, cardboard, old clothes, etc. and take them to a central recycling compound.

Glass bottles, PET bottles and Aluminium cans are collected in huge containers placed in central areas of the cities/ villages, and then transported by the garbage company (which is a semi-private semi-public company) to the recycling centre. You can also collect all items and drive yourself to the centres, which I do myself. BTW, as a side note: every store which sells said bottles/ can is forced by law to have a dispose bin on their compound, and take care of it's delievery to the recycling centre. That means your way to the supermarket to buy beer can be a good deed to deposit also your old empty beer bottles without trouble (that might also explain the constant drunken teenagers in from of said stores... At least they are environment friendly drunks).

In the end, people in general here believe it is your DUTY to help recycling. It is not a service offered. I believe that is the big difference. Though the money spent with recycing can be a problem, i belive as an individual, I should do what I can to help instead of ranting and complain how the system work. No offense intended.
By Artemicion 2010-09-17 04:04:53
Link | Quote | Reply

The last paragraph is ironic Moehre.
You see, questioning faulty logic and policy is the duty of any concerned citizen. Otherwise you're just as lazy and thoughtless as those you claim who don't recycle in the first place.
 Bahamut.Moehre
By Bahamut.Moehre 2010-09-17 04:16:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Oi, Artemicion, I do believe people do have the right and duty to fight for what they believe, and try to make their communities better. I just hate when people rant about paying a fine, without taking a second thought on the fact that fines are actually there to help a system get better, and it's not a back stabbing policy to suck every penny of the citizens to pay for the secretary BMW...

The fact is: if someone feels falsely accused, they should make their voices heard in a logic way, like going to the authorities. Taking revenge on the garbage men doesn't seem like a good choice <.< Meh, sometimes it's like throwing a stone inside a pond, it won't do much, but at least you don't bother those who are probably innocent and trying to do their job while helping a greater good.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-09-17 04:40:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Moehre said:
[stuff]

10?!

Artemicion said:
lol
 Bahamut.Moehre
By Bahamut.Moehre 2010-09-17 05:13:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Yep 10 ^^ Don't know if I know all the english words but here it goes :)

1. Paper
2. Cardboard
3. Glass bottles (in 3 different containers: white, green and brown/colour)
4. Aluminium
5. Old electrodomestics + batteries
6. Milk, Juice and similiar packages
7. PET bottles
8. Plastic
9. Old clothes
10. Bio garbage (everything which can be used as humus/ fertilizer)

And then the regular garbage. Kinda easy to see why I find odd when someone complains when they have to seperate paper and glass... ;)

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-09-17 05:56:50
Link | Quote | Reply

recycling is good when its not forced.
 Bahamut.Moehre
By Bahamut.Moehre 2010-09-17 06:09:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:

lol?

I love these ideologies that once something is "forced" by some kind of law, it stops being good. Why is it bad once it is forced? Because you have to obey something, therefore not being "free"? You know, Recycling is done to help a planet which is in danger, not to go onto some secret agenda. Just because the State forces you to recycle, giving you a reason to not be lazy, does that revoke the goal?

Yes yes, the goal does not justify the means. But we are not talking about killing someone here, we are talking about obeying a stupid law <.<
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-09-17 06:19:18
Link | Quote | Reply

8 Myths about recycling

"...if you want to feel good while being stupid and wasting your time, maybe *heroin* is for you." - Penn Jillette
 Asura.Masekase
Server: Asura
user: masekase
By Asura.Masekase 2010-09-17 06:35:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Well its not that bad we have 3 bins here. Black (household waste) blue (recycling) brown (food waste/garden waste).

We have too put black bin out every week. The blue and brown bit alternate each week.

Also if we recycle we get to kill aload of gillsellers too so double bonus lol.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2004/sep/20/environment.china

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Masekase
By Asura.Masekase 2010-09-17 06:38:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahkf said:
Asura.Masekase said:
Well its not that bad we have 3 bins here. Black (household waste) blue (recycling) brown (food waste/garden waste).

We have too put black bin out every week. The blue and brown bit alternate each week.

Also if we recycle we get to kill aload of gillsellers too so double bonus lol.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2004/sep/20/environment.china
No compost? you just send it away?

Yes
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-09-17 07:00:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Recycling, you're doing it...umm.. right?
 Asura.Masekase
By Asura.Masekase 2010-09-17 07:30:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-09-17 07:51:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:

So recycling is like sex?
 Leviathan.Hastefeet
user: Andras
By Leviathan.Hastefeet 2010-09-17 07:53:26
Link | Quote | Reply

i said earlier in the thread i don't give a ***about making a difference

so if you want to convince someone that way it won't work on me
 Asura.Masekase
By Asura.Masekase 2010-09-17 08:09:06
Link | Quote | Reply

To be honest i dont see prob you have your main bin in house and a bag for recylables.

Takes no more time out of your day doing it or not doing it.

*edit in uk anyway
 Asura.Masekase
By Asura.Masekase 2010-09-17 08:11:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Hastefeet said:
i said earlier in the thread i don't give a ***about making a difference

so if you want to convince someone that way it won't work on me

But you will care when they need more landfills and it ends up being nearer your house.

Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-17 09:31:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
So recycling is like sex?
Naw sex is still good then.

And damn you tree huggers still hugging and forcing your hippyness on the rest of us!
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-17 09:39:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
8 Myths about recycling

"...if you want to feel good while being stupid and wasting your time, maybe *heroin* is for you." - Penn Jillette
Lol good read. Particular was amused by...

MYTH 6: RECYCLING ALWAYS PROTECTS THE ENVIRONMENT

Recycling is a manufacturing process with environmental impacts. Viewed across a wide spectrum of goods, recycling sometimes cuts pollution, but not always. The EPA has examined both virgin paper processing and recycled paper processing for toxic substances and found that toxins often are more prevalent in the recycling process.

Often the pollution associated with recycling shows up in unexpected ways. Curbside recycling, for example, requires that more trucks be used to collect the same amount of waste materials. Thus, Los Angeles has 800 rubbish trucks rather than 400, because of its curb-side recycling. This means more iron ore and coal mining, steel and rubber manufacturing, petroleum extraction and refining – and of course extra air pollution in the Los Angeles basin
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-09-17 15:20:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
8 Myths about recycling

Lol good read. Particular was amused by...

MYTH 6: RECYCLING ALWAYS PROTECTS THE ENVIRONMENT

Recycling is a manufacturing process with environmental impacts. Viewed across a wide spectrum of goods, recycling sometimes cuts pollution, but not always. The EPA has examined both virgin paper processing and recycled paper processing for toxic substances and found that toxins often are more prevalent in the recycling process.

Often the pollution associated with recycling shows up in unexpected ways. Curbside recycling, for example, requires that more trucks be used to collect the same amount of waste materials. Thus, Los Angeles has 800 rubbish trucks rather than 400, because of its curb-side recycling. This means more iron ore and coal mining, steel and rubber manufacturing, petroleum extraction and refining – and of course extra air pollution in the Los Angeles basin
Word. I was gonna paste that one too, but the tree huggers won't let go.

I bet none of them have ever actually toured a recycling plant. I've seen less smoke and toxic waste come from a coal power plant than the pollution that comes out of a recycling plant.

[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-09-17 15:25:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Is it general waste recycling, or one specific instance of recycling? A lot of cities will nail you if you say, throw away a big, toxic item like a computer without taking it to a proper recycling center. Because that's actually kind of a big deal.

But I've never heard of them saying "You did not put your cans in the correct bin! 25 demerits!"

its the cans in the bin...

the letter says "We've noticed your household hasn't been recycling"

and i dont know why they'd even look into something like that

i will bet you dollars to donuts that letter did not come from your government

what you have is a crazy liberal environazi with a recycling gris-gris who gets off on controlling other people

he/she(probably she) drafted up an official looking letter and letterhead and proceeded to try to scare you into doing what she wanted you to do

i'm pretty sure it's a letter you can safely ignore, if you don't want to take chances, call up the "sender" and see if it is valid
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-09-17 15:25:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Moehre said:

i doubt you have the capacity to get much out of written material

so watch the *** videos genius

Leviathan.Hastefeet
user: Andras
By Leviathan.Hastefeet 2010-09-17 15:26:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Is it general waste recycling, or one specific instance of recycling? A lot of cities will nail you if you say, throw away a big, toxic item like a computer without taking it to a proper recycling center. Because that's actually kind of a big deal.

But I've never heard of them saying "You did not put your cans in the correct bin! 25 demerits!"

what you have is a crazy liberal environazi with a recycling gris-gris who gets off on controlling other people

he/she(probably she) drafted up an official looking letter and letterhead and proceeded to try to scare you into doing what she wanted you to do

i'm pretty sure it's a letter you can safely ignore, if you don't want to take chances, call up the "sender" and see if it is valid

i might do that, its probly just a tree hugging *** anyways!
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-09-17 15:28:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

i might do that, its probly just a tree hugging *** anyways!

i don't think the government is walking down your street, checking out your recycling bin, and "noticing you haven't been recycling very much"
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-17 15:43:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
I've seen less smoke and toxic waste come from a coal power plant than the pollution that comes out of a recycling plant.
Alot of that is cause nowadays there are a rediculous amount of restrictions on them. From how they can burn it too what they can let out etc etc. It's to the point where it is very cost inefficient to do that. Hence part of the energy problems we were/are facing. And part of the reason there has been so much work on nuclear energy finally after decades of pretty much nothing
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7