Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » BLU Breath spells
BLU Breath spells
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Vite
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2010-05-23 08:14:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok so I was thinking which of the two sets below (Full HP Vs. Macc) will perform better for breath spells, if you can make a new better combination of the same items used, please suggest :)

and

P.S. i'm at work now so can't really test ;/

Odin.Kalico
Server: Odin
user: Panthra
By Odin.Kalico 2010-05-23 08:45:26
Link | Quote | Reply

You'll do more damage with a Hp build than a Macc.
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-05-23 10:29:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't bothered with breath spells for a really long time now, but basically, if it's something that's likely to resist, you're better off using INT based spells like regurgitation. So to that end, the higher HP the better, end of story (imo).

This comes from experience low manning quite a lot of different Tanihwa builds. Some of the ones we made have stupidly high resist rates, so I slowly swapped out my HP for macc. Resist rates DID go down, as did my maximum damage. Resist rates never got low enough to come close to the efficiency of regurgitation spam though. I have used breath spells to good effect in the past, but more and more I found myself using regurgitation instead. Damage/mp ratio on a good regurgitation build is about the same as a good HP build on a lot of mobs, but resist rate is almost always better, especially on the harder mobs. The biggest difference is that when you're using regurgitation, you can freely swap gear for other spells without having to worry about losing 600 HP for your next spell.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-23 10:45:30
Link | Quote | Reply

You're getting an ~8.75% increase in max damage with the first set (assuming no HP merits, Taru BLU/NIN, some HP set, and Carbonara) and a 6% decrease in resist rate with the second.

1.0875=(x+0.06)/(x)

1.0875x=x+0.06

0.0875x=0.06

x=0.06/0.0875=0.686

The latter build would be preferable if your unresisted land rate was below 68.6% with the max damage build. There are improvements that can be made to one or both sets that change the threshold value, but with your current build that's about right. I think I overestimated HP from spells though.

I have to agree with Blazza here; if you're getting a resist rate that justifies the macc build you should probably be using a different spell.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-23 10:49:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Why the phil stole or morri robe?
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-05-23 11:05:47
Link | Quote | Reply

lol... I noticed the phil stone, didn't even look at the morri robe lol, that's doing absolutely nothing in a breath build.
 Leviathan.Abriel
Server: Leviathan
user: Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-23 15:44:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd toss a relic hat or saurian's helm in there, they're too awesome to overlook (hq staves are pretty much a must for breath builds, their acc never was really awesome on most enemies).

the most fun I had with breaths was popping 1200 heat breaths on Dea and the obvious aiming into large charmed crowds in beseiged, after pushing nearly 4k hp with a giant's drink, lol.
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
Server: Ragnarok
user: Vite
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2010-05-25 07:11:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
lol... I noticed the phil stone, didn't even look at the morri robe lol, that's doing absolutely nothing in a breath build.

lol..my phil stone has hp aug on it, as for the body, some say INT increases the MACC on spells.
 Caitsith.Katas
Server: Caitsith
user: Katas
By Caitsith.Katas 2010-05-25 07:20:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Agreed: HP all the way with HQ staff, dont skimp, its worth it pending what you are doing. However, like what was said, if you are going to be resisted dont bother hyping the MACC on breaths when you could be doing other spells.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-25 07:23:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Vitaru said:
Odin.Blazza said:
lol..my phil stone has hp aug on it, as for the body, some say INT increases the MACC on spells.
Well you can probably get alot more hp on a neck then that aug.

As far as macc goes it probably does on the int based spells but I seriously doubt it does on breath. And even if it did the 15 skill from af body would be alot more macc
 Shiva.Duey
Server: Shiva
user: Duath
By Shiva.Duey 2010-05-25 07:49:46
Link | Quote | Reply

with my BLU/MNK Elvaan 4/8 HP merits and carbonara i get like 2100-2200 HP (my set not done yet)

I guess another good change would be Crimson Body. HP+40 MP+40 is really nice.. also hard to get but nice is a Bloodbead Ring (HP+50) + bloodbead gorget (HP+60)and like mentioned before, AF2 +1 or Saurian helm for the nice DMG boost and some HP+ too

most of the time i use the HP set in dyna xarca or on JoL
only time i switch to MAcc is if i stay BLU for Dynamis lord. otherwise can just go for HP all the way imo
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-25 10:03:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Vitaru said:
Odin.Blazza said:

It does on certain spells, but breaths have no dINT component. As mentioned, AF+1 would provide far more macc regardless and also has HP on it.
Shiva.Duey said:
with my BLU/MNK Elvaan 4/8 HP merits and carbonara i get like 2100-2200 HP (my set not done yet)

I guess another good change would be Crimson Body. HP 40 MP 40 is really nice.. also hard to get but nice is a Bloodbead Ring (HP 50) bloodbead gorget (HP 60)and like mentioned before, AF2 1 or Saurian helm for the nice DMG boost and some HP too

most of the time i use the HP set in dyna xarca or on JoL
only time i switch to MAcc is if i stay BLU for Dynamis lord. otherwise can just go for HP all the way imo
AF+1 is probably better than WBody; 25 HP vs a 7.5% reduction in resist rate.
 Leviathan.Abriel
Server: Leviathan
user: Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-25 15:34:14
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah, as far as I know there's nothing that translates to macc for breath spells aside from the obvious (skill and macc gear).

dynamis-xarc is one of the places where using a breath build is probably one of blu's strongest options (though blu is also the most capable job of taking on crowd-control in this area; survivability, massive aoe hate control, heavily accurate aoe sleep spells). for some reason, breath spells have excellent accuracy in dynamis areas (even outlands) and most magical spells are heavily resisted, don't ask me why 'cause I really have no clue as to why it works like that, lol.
 Valefor.Angeluzun
Server: Valefor
user: Angeluzun
By Valefor.Angeluzun 2010-06-19 10:38:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
The biggest difference is that when you're using regurgitation, you can freely swap gear for other spells without having to worry about losing 600 HP for your next spell.

This is my biggest issue with my breath build, losing HP from gear swaps when switching to other spells and then (since most healers don't want to cure a blu because a blu can cure himself) having to spend my precious little MP on cure bombing myself
 Unicorn.Ninetales
Server: Unicorn
user: Azulmagia
By Unicorn.Ninetales 2010-06-19 10:47:00
Link | Quote | Reply

An "economical" HP neck would be something like Ajase Beads. Cougar Pendant is a nice upgrade, buyable with Allied Notes. Shoot for Bloodbead Gorget if you're absolutely serious.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-06-19 11:56:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Something I didn't notice the first time around: AF2 head wru? Best Breath head hands down.
By Vlorsutes 2010-06-19 12:08:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Something I didn't notice the first time around: AF2 head wru? Best Breath head hands down.

This.

Furthermore, if you're not able to get your hands on the Mirage Keffiyeh any time soon, I'd at least consider in investing/camping for a Saurian Helm.